New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another grizzly down
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Sometimes, you can go to the most crowded hunting area you can find, and sometimes come out looking good, sometimes you can outsmart animals acclimated to human activity, sometimes drop them 800 yards from the tent, give them a ride home with you and go home happy....
But.....ya gotta go try....

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You Da Man, Jake. Congratulation on another good one. What are you doing, training them to find you??

Posts: 91 | Location: Mishawaka, In. | Registered: 22 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice bear and job

Posts: 19599 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
Awesome. Ya, that's a nice looking grizzly!! What r the hunt/kill particulars ?

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Details...
300win mag, 200gr a frames I believe. Shot it on a gut pile at about 80 yards at last light.

Master guide #212

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good job, congratulations ! Never know where they may be hanging out.

Posts: 426 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great! Another big chubby one. Seems like your bears all have a weight problem Big Grin

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2093 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Makes a bigger target!!

Master guide #212

One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Jake.
You should post the ride out pic.
It would make a good ad for Argo rotflmo

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1220 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This one??? Lol

Got it high centered in a damp
Spot...breaking a half inch of ice and it slid up under the tires and we slid right off into the ruts....

Master guide #212

One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that one Big Grin

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1220 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
Pretty bear. Congrats

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 865 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
300 Win Mag and 200gr Swift A-Frames. Wow, that's a lot of power right there. Really unnecessary though since a 9mm is supposed to be plenty. Smiler

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Actually its been claimed by some the 30 cal's are not adequate for bears, rather the turbo mag whiz bang belted, rebated, 400g monolithic, OKH are a bare and bear minimum.

The demonstrated ability of the 30 cal in this post disproves those claims.

Posts: 9474 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woulda used a 9mm or similar magnum bear stopping auto, but all he had was the 300 overkill. So rather than buy a new gun he just went with the 300 OK.

Master guide #212

One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
Woodrow,

If the hole is getting deeper and you got the shovel, just put it down.

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Woodrow, all of us are waiting to hear exactly who you are and your experiences with big bears.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4203 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
Woodrow, all of us are waiting to hear exactly who you are and your experiences with big bears.

He is an escapee from the ARPF a teddy bear. Big Grin Good job Fourtyonesix jc

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post

Is not an Argo the preferred vehicle in those conditions?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9972 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sure beats back packin something like that fur ball out, don't it?

Congrats, that's a pretty colored fur.
Looks like he fed well too.

Been wondering how this .300Win would do on something like that with 200's. After a 180gr c/L blew up on a cow elk at 200yds I've gone to 200gr Game Kings. So far never had a shot with 'em.

Great pictures,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6017 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know Jake and is a number one bear guide.
Will book another hunt with him soon.
Need a griz or brown bear book with him.
Joe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Argo is actually not as popular up here as you would think. That trails has only two mud holes. I happened to get high centered in one of them. Go figure.
300 is a great round, one of my favorites. I do however prefer a bullet with some form of partition in it as opposed to just a jacketed bonded bullet.in my experience going from a c/l to a game king is a step sideways and not up.

Master guide #212

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice bear, congratulations, he's a rollie pollie one for sure. Who's the wise guy making smart remarks regarding the 9mm. Seems totally uncalled for to me.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm taking a .375 H&H again 300 gr A frame. But Jake wants to try and get one with the 10mm if we have the opportunity Wink

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2855 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Agree Woodrow uncalled for. I used a 300g A-Frame out of my 375 H&H for my brown bear. Worked fine. Might take the 500 Jeffery next time, just because I have one and love to shoot it. Need to get the kids through college first though.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4774 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the 9mm comment was intended as a joke as I believe Phil shot one in self defense recently using a 9mm or something similar...

Take it as a joke - this is a great bear!

Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 10371 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote