Find
Notify
Tools

Lusty moose, Teal and Babe.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted
Went duck hunting over the last couple of weekends locally. Hunting has been good and Babe has been working quite well.

Last weekend Babe and I hunted the incoming tide from shore. These two moose swam up river to us from I'd guess more than a half mile distant. Once they got right to us and I was starting to wonder if I was going to have a problem, I believe they smelled us at a distance of less than 20 yards, changed direction and swam right back down river.

During all of this the teal came into the decoys in bits and pieces and we managed five before the tide really started to run out from under us.

Duck by the way makes very tasty philly cheese steak sandwiches. Vegtables and duck sliced very thin. Sauteed in olive oil, pepperjack cheese and a hoagie.

Posts: 9206 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's always good to get updates on The Scott and Babe Adventures. How old is she now?

Great photos and that Philly looks scrumptious.

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it". Fred Bear

Posts: 444 | Location: WA. State | Registered: 06 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Babe is approaching eight. Its been an interesting and educational eight.

My last few dogs have been males, and training and handling was heavy handed. Physical disipline was the norm and in some situations even it wasn't enough and I gave up, garbage and garbage cans being an example. With my last dog, Gus, I just ended up putting up the can at night or while gone where he couldn't reach it. When I didn't, I'd come home to household trash carefully carried to his dog bed, partially consumed, and Gus cowering in some corner. Now what would be the point of a spanking there? He knew he wasn't supposed to, he knew he was gonna be in trouble but did it anyway. I gave up the reprimand, and merely chastized myself for leaving garbage in his reach. As an aside, I could leave people food out and in easy reach in the truck, boat, wherever and he wouldn't touch it. Sandwiches left in the truck while working or in the store were still there when I returned. Gus wouldn't touch 'em.

Then came Babe. Oh God.

The word "No" has to be censored or moderated. If "No" is hollered or used too authoritatively Babe heads for the bedroom, bushes or other hiding place, not to be seen for some time. Physical disipline has never been utilized nor is it required/ needed. Babe is fragile and sensitive to the highest degree. Although it does affect her field performance in that well,.....she is fragile,......Babe has water and field retrieved swans, geese, ducks and pheasants. Babe has hunted five western states and two Canadian provinces. I have pictures of Babe with a pheasant in her mouth at -50 degrees F. Hopefully, hopefully, the end of this month will find us in North Dakota where the limit on snows is 50 per day and the limit on Canadas is eight. Babe will retrieve them all.

Posts: 9206 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scott:
Trash raiders is bad enough.
Last yr I had Chron's Disease.
Thats "chronic shits" and was in
diapers to keep it under control.
My little dog would take 'em out
of the trash, scatter the fluff
all over the house and eat the
shit. Damned disgusting, but,
not much I could do about it.
Ended up putting the can in the
bathtub and closed the shower
doors. Sickening I know but,
Great pics, glad you can make the
trips and enjoy your dogs n great
hunting.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5957 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
Babe is approaching eight. Its been an interesting and educational eight.

My last few dogs have been males, and training and handling was heavy handed. Physical disipline was the norm and in some situations even it wasn't enough and I gave up, garbage and garbage cans being an example. With my last dog, Gus, I just ended up putting up the can at night or while gone where he couldn't reach it. When I didn't, I'd come home to household trash carefully carried to his dog bed, partially consumed, and Gus cowering in some corner. Now what would be the point of a spanking there? He knew he wasn't supposed to, he knew he was gonna be in trouble but did it anyway. I gave up the reprimand, and merely chastized myself for leaving garbage in his reach. As an aside, I could leave people food out and in easy reach in the truck, boat, wherever and he wouldn't touch it. Sandwiches left in the truck while working or in the store were still there when I returned. Gus wouldn't touch 'em.

Then came Babe. Oh God.

The word "No" has to be censored or moderated. If "No" is hollered or used too authoritatively Babe heads for the bedroom, bushes or other hiding place, not to be seen for some time. Physical disipline has never been utilized nor is it required/ needed. Babe is fragile and sensitive to the highest degree. Although it does affect her field performance in that well,.....she is fragile,......Babe has water and field retrieved swans, geese, ducks and pheasants. Babe has hunted five western states and two Canadian provinces. I have pictures of Babe with a pheasant in her mouth at -50 degrees F. Hopefully, hopefully, the end of this month will find us in North Dakota where the limit on snows is 50 per day and the limit on Canadas is eight. Babe will retrieve them all.

What part of nodak are you going to? We will be in upham, close to minot for the next 3 weeks.

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Williston.

My friend Joe lives there and we'll be hunting locally.

Not sure if a beer is possible but if you'll be west, let me know and I'll give you my cell number.