Find
Notify
Tools

Tents---WATERPROOF
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted
I need a two person tent that is water proof, not resistent, and I would prefer it not to have a rain cover, but rather be all waterproof. It will only be used in rain, fog and cold on trips after blacktails.

I figured you guys from the Alaksa forum would know what I need.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my vote goes to Eureka timberline a frame,
use them since 1984, spent 25 yrs in ketchikan, one of the wettest places on the planet.
you must have a rainfly/cover, otherwise it will sweat like you wont believe and when its raining the condensation is 10 times worse. the eurekas are very dry and the floors dont leak

If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tuff.

Posts: 393 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 01 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 333_OKH:
I need a two person tent that is water proof, not resistent, and I would prefer it not to have a rain cover, but rather be all waterproof. It will only be used in rain, fog and cold on trips after blacktails.

I figured you guys from the Alaksa forum would know what I need.

Google Alaska Tent & Tarp. Not for backpacking but the Only waterproof tent I have ever seen dancing thumb

Posts: 2352 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muskegex
posted Hide Post
We have used the Eureka Alpenlite 2XT with very good results .... fly to the ground is what we need around here.

Many Goat, Bear and Blacktail hunts under SE AK conditions ...

We use a good ground cloth.

Shop the internet and you can sometimes get a very good price.

Posts: 134 | Location: ketchikan | Registered: 28 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eureka Zeus 2 person

Posts: 304 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 12 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Glad to see so much support for Eureka there top notch and price is reasonable.

My vote go's to the Eureka K2 I have 3 of them and are my no 1 choise. I also have 4 of the Alpinlite's and they are good also just a little small but lighter.

Keep in mind that about 80% of all tents of different brands come out of the same factory in Koreia.

Be carfull of the high end tents. Most of them are good but no better than a Eureka and can be twice the price or more.

I have a North Face VE 25 that is good but on two seperate occations watched it flatten in high wind when a K2 sitting next to it held.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muskegex
posted Hide Post
we use the Alpinlite 2 as a one man tent ... it is crowded with 2 but is doable ... in this rainy and wet area condensation can be a problem. One person per tent helps that a lot.

Early Oct Goat '08 ....

Posts: 134 | Location: ketchikan | Registered: 28 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Hilleberg makes some outstanding tents. I have 2 of them. They are however an outer fly and inner tent. They are completely water proof, very light weight, and VERY tough!!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Ooops! Did I mention it needs to be long. I am 6'8" tall, otherwise known as 80 inches.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chisana
posted Hide Post
I like the Hilleberg Nallo 2GT for backpacking and the 8x8 Arctic Oven for camps that do not require carrying the camp on my back.

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
Distinguished Rifleman
President's Hundred

Posts: 390 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 11 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Ptarmigan and I am quite impress - but only in VA, no experience in other states.

Posts: 339 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jim Z.
posted Hide Post
I've got an REI 4 season Mountain 3 man tent. I works no matter the weather and is a mountaineering tent. Don't skimp on the price. You get what you pay for, but get a 4 season tent not a three season tent.. The last REI tent I had only lasted me 25 years.

Check tem out.

*we band of 45-70ers*
Whiskey for my men & beer for my horses!

Malon Labe!

Posts: 235 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 16 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd go with something that has a screen top with a damned good fly over top rather than one that's totally waterproof. The humidity that will accumulate in something totally waterproof will be astonishing. Also bring a candle lantern or two and leave it burn all night, it's amazing how that will help to dry things out.

the chef

one of us
posted Hide Post
I got a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL-1 one-person tent this summer, and used it twice on backpack trips since. Unfortunately once we had rain for a day and a half, and the second time I ended up getting a good dump of snow on me. This is two-piece construction, screen with fly overtop. The tent stayed dry. I'm a bit worried what it would do in high winds, as it doesn't seem to want to put up nice and tight, though that might improve if I use all tie-down options. In addition, you (at least I) do not want to get caught in really bad weather in a little tent like that, unless you really like lying down and listening to the rain. It drove me absolutely crazy!

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frans Diepstraten:
I got a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL-1 one-person tent this summer, and used it twice on backpack trips since. Unfortunately once we had rain for a day and a half, and the second time I ended up getting a good dump of snow on me. This is two-piece construction, screen with fly overtop. The tent stayed dry. I'm a bit worried what it would do in high winds, as it doesn't seem to want to put up nice and tight, though that might improve if I use all tie-down options. In addition, you (at least I) do not want to get caught in really bad weather in a little tent like that, unless you really like lying down and listening to the rain. It drove me absolutely crazy!

Frans

Franz,

You make some very good points, worth remembering, and factoring in the tent buy decision..

Thanks for the share,

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
See my posting over on the "American Hunting" forum. Your selection, IMHO should be the Arctic Oven found at Ak. Tent & Tarp.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it were me and no back packing was involved I would purchased the Arctic Oven Back Woods for one person or any of the larger tents for two people or more:
http://www.alaskatent.com/sale...c_oven_brochure1.pdf

Have used these tents for many years and nothing will keep you drier as the inner layer will wick away moisture. Worth every penny. We use the Artika on our longer hunting trips and it is worth its weight in gold. Before that we had the 10x10 which is really good for up to a week or so for 2 guys with cots.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6603 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote