Notify
Tools

What GMU for float and hunt?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted
Hi,

I am in the military and have been a Alaska resident since 1999. I haven't been home in a while (Iraq, Afganistan, other shitholes), but still maintain residency.

The guys I work with and I (party of 4), with want to hunt caribou/moose together on a float trip.

I was a white water rafting guide, and know white water rafting really well. Were all in good shape, and looking for adventure.

I do need some suggestions. What GMU would you use for a moose/caribou (and brownie for the residents) float trip?

Who would you use to fly you in and pick you up?

How many boats would you want? I am thinking two 14 foot rafts and a 14 foot cataraft? Or maybe two 18 foot catarafts all with oarlocks.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I was thinking about GMU 25 or maybe someplace on the penninsula?

What do you think?

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
The plan is to take two moose, and a caribou a person, and two bears for the residents, and all the wolves we can find.

one of us
posted Hide Post
One of the smaller rivers draining into the Nushagak in Unit 17 would be a good bet particularly for moose. Caribou being migratory would be a maybe. The place is lousy with brown bears and anybody can shoot I per year now. I lived there for 22 years and saw the moose, bear and caribout populations increase drastically.

I persoanally think float trip hunting is not the way to do it but if you send me an e-mail I'll recommend someone that I used a lot and could handle the float trip thing.

You would want to plan your trip to start about 10 Sept so all the seasons would overlap.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted Hide Post
Mark has a good choice. I may also recomend the Koktuli river I have rafted it many times, and it produces well. You can be picked up at the Mulchatna river. this float can take a week if you Hunt it properly... Maddog

Joshua 24:15
www.teamfaithfull.net /
My granddaughter
"Multitudes loose the sight of that which is, by setting their eyes on that which is not".

Posts: 1899 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted Hide Post
PS Float trips are not great producers for caribou...
The headwaters of the koktuli may produce caribou if you are there at the right time..It is somewhat mountinous there.
As of now I have caribou hunters in 17 south of the Taylors. About 80 miles from where we are talking of...

Joshua 24:15
www.teamfaithfull.net /
My granddaughter
"Multitudes loose the sight of that which is, by setting their eyes on that which is not".

Posts: 1899 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 May 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
You might want to try posting that question on this forum as well: http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/akforum/akhunting/index.htm

Lots of active float hunters over there. I get the impression that many rivers are seeing alot of pressure from float hunters, and not producing nearly as well as they have in years past. So really do your homework, otherwise you might have the hunting version of fishing on the Kenai, though in a remote location.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have four guys in shape, wanting to hunt the best areas of Alaska, Forget about float hunts. They are very expense, and most are not that successful! Believe me we all want to float down a river and shoot a moose off the bank, It not that easy any more. unit 23, Selawik is a world class moose area. I have hunted there many times. Last year we passed on 11 bulls over 50". email me and I will send you pictures when we get back Sept. 21, Nonresidents have to apply for permits.

Robert Johnson

Posts: 599 | Location: Soldotna Alaska | Registered: 05 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Robert,

You have a PM.