Find
Notify
Tools

Things To Do In Anchorage
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gents,
Every Tuesday night in January I fly into ANC & spend the next day & night at the Sheraton Anchorage Hotel. I plan to make it over to Wild West Guns to look at their modified Levers & I might check out a few C-185s for sale at a nearby airport.
How is the fishing nearby?
Is there any hunting I could get into for a day? (it would have to be close in).
What else to see or do?
How about some good restaurants.

Posts: 359 | Location: 40N,104W | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
there is a bunch of stuff to take in in anchorage. Downtown there are tourist shops etc. both good and bad, watch for the actualy crafted items vs the produced ones though. With only a day you are probably not going to have time to fish etc., but things like the Imax there takes you on a halo trip thru the mountains that is quite good. Depending on where you are going to hunt, go down to lake hood and have one of the pilots take you on a hour or 3 sightseetrip. You can only see alaska from the air, its spectacular. On the way back stop at 10th and M its a seafood place, they will pack & ship for you and there is nothing better on the plate than some fresh alaskan prawns, halibut, salmon etc. Have fun and enjoy the place and its people, it is one of the greatests places on earth.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A drive down to Girdwood with a tram ride to the Seven Glaciers Restaraunt on top of the mountain is good. The scenery and food is very good, although quite expensive.

If you are going to do any fishing in January, there are a few lakes that have rainbows in them, but it will be ice fishing.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed the Alaska Fur Exchange some neat stuff in there, Club Paris will serve you a good steak, there is some neat stuff at the ABC aswell.

HBH

Picture of DWalter
posted Hide Post
Tool up to Eagle River and stop in at Boondocks sporting goods. Pretty nice folks, and a fair selection of new and used guns, as well.

Head down toward the Eagle River Glacier (just ask for directions at any store in eagle river). There's an observation deck,a nd a trail that goes all the way back to the glacier. Kinda cool. Might not be open this time of year, though.

You can go skiing at Alyeska (south of Anchorage), or get a meal at the Snow Goose downtown (least, it was) and look out over the inlet.

I lived there for 6 years and loved it.

Posts: 7 | Location: Eastern WA State | Registered: 09 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great Norhtern Guns is worth a stop (or at least it was five or so years ago don't know if its still fun to visit).

Lots of great places to eat there. Go drink some Alaskan beer too.

Before all else, be armed.

Machiavelli

Posts: 364 | Location: Hawaii | Registered: 30 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out Great northern,lots of neat stuff to look at,saturdays are just not good if I cant make it over there! As far as wildwest goes,spend your time at another gunshop.

Posts: 91 | Location: Anchorage Alaska | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
testing

Cold Zero

one of us
posted Hide Post
I really miss Alaskan Ale beer,,,,,think thats the right name....

Location Western NC,,, via alot of other places,
One wife
Two kids
Three Glocks
and a couple cats.

Posts: 376 | Location: Western, NC, USA | Registered: 29 April 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
You mean this?

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All this and nobody's mentioned the Bush Company? Or was the comment editorialized? Maybe it ain't there anymore. That would be bad.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
Jim
Don't get the guy in trouble. Big Grin

Leif
There is another good gun shop in Wasilla called Chimmo(sp) Gun's. It's about an hour out of Anchorage. It is the only place in the country that I have seen Rifles Inc. rifles on the shelf. That was years ago though. They always have a great selection.

I definitely second a trip to Alyeska. This is the only place I have ever skied, but I have skied it with people from all over the country and lots of places around the world. They have all said it is some of the best if not the best powder they have ever skied.

Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mmmmmm, that looks like it,,,been a few years,,,remember it was pretty darn good after a couple weeks in the backcountry,,,,usta hit Lynx Creek Pizza in Denali Park and have a few pichers with the gang every couple weeks,,,will they ship to the sunny southland?

Location Western NC,,, via alot of other places,
One wife
Two kids
Three Glocks
and a couple cats.

Posts: 376 | Location: Western, NC, USA | Registered: 29 April 2004Reply With Quote