New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray mountains moose?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking into a moose hunt with a friend of a friend in the Ray Mtns. North of the Yukon river. I know that he has hunted there and seen photos of big moose that he has taken.
Can anyone tell me about this area and maybe what to expect or questions I should ask him.

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it". Fred Bear

Posts: 444 | Location: WA. State | Registered: 06 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I taught in Nulato which is to the west of this area for five years. You should bring Duck hunting gear. Waders, duck coat, float coat, hat and gloves. You should get a medium to large bore rifle that you are comfortable out to 300 yards and practice. Buy some of the calling videos. They are good for getting you into the right frame of mind. You most likely will be hunting sloughs. The temperatures range to down to zero in the mornings during the late part of season. Bring at least two bottles of whiskey. One good and one bottle of rotgut. This is trading material in case your boat breaks down. You should also schedule some extra time to get through the boneyard if you are traveling by boat.

Bring lots of bottled water. You might also get good medium magnification binoculars.

This is very different if you are going to fly into the mountains where it is more mountain hunting then you should bring a good spotting scope.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Thomas Kennedy

Posts: 122 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Thomas.

http://www.huckfinnkennels.com/movie/

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it". Fred Bear

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is nothing you could say that would turn me off faster about a hunt than "duck hunting gear". I swear to God I am going moose hunting in Alaska next year, and yes, I'm buying waders, but that is it for "duck hunting gear".

I promised God a long time ago that if I ever got warm and dry again I would never hunt duck or geese again, and I've kept that promise for over twenty five years.

Posts: 13784 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never hunted ducks in my life. I have gone moose hunting on the sloughs along the Yukon several times with great success. The OP wanted to know what he should bring. I noted the Duck Hunting garb because it is great for late season hunting along the river by boat which I assumed he was doing. Most people hunt moose in this area this way.
However, if his friend noted that he was going to fly in and land on a high basin with a supercub then he should prepare differently. Worry less about the duck hunting gear and more about almost sheep hunting gear with a good spotter to check each mountain basin for the big kahuna and his bevy of cows. This would be more like Elk Hunting but I have never done that either. It is just what I have read in magazines. Either approach would be good.
However, if I was asked by somebody what to bring and they were on either a self-guided hunt on a raft or boating in slough areas I would say duck gear. The Cordova river flats or Alaska Pennisula I would also say duck gear.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Thomas Kennedy

Posts: 122 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thomas,
your input is really appreciated. My contact has been in Hawaii until the end of the month. I am sure he will send a gear list that he recommends. I have been talking to him for a couple years but put the moose trip on hold and went to Zambia in Sept. I love waterfowl hunting. It's hard to beat a flock of honkers or mallards dropping into the decoys.
If I quit waterfowling because it was wet and cold, blimey, I would really think twice about going moose hunting in Alaska. Dontcha think mate.