Find
Notify
Tools

Question?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 323
posted
Well it is time for me to leave good ol Ft Huachuca and it looks like Alaska might be my next stop it is not 100% guranteed but it is looking promising. It looks like I will be going to Ft Richardson well if the lord is on my side I will be. Anyhow I have a few question as far as rifles to bring should I leave my small caliber stuff in Oregon with my dad ie 25-284 and 6.5-284 and just bring my 358 norma mag and call it a day. My pistols I guess I'm better off leaving them at my dads and just buying new ones when i get there as well. It doesn't look like I will get to participate in next year hunting season becuase I will deploy between Sept 08 - January 09 oh well the price to pay to get to Alaska. I'm married so hopefully there are plenty of things to do in Anchorage for my wife to keep her self busy if I deploy within 6 months of getting there, if I end up at ft Richardson. If it is Wainwright then I will cry LOL. Almost forgot do they have Archery clubs there as well I'm also addicted to 3D shoots as well. I also like to play some golf as well but I don't see Alaska having to many golf courses then again what do I know.

Handmade paracord rifle slings: paracordcraftsbypatricia@gmail.com

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd bring all your rifles. the 358 would be great and the smaller stuff would work well on sheep and caribou. if nothing else to knock a dog on its snotlocker.

I know Elmendorf (right next to ft rich) has a 3d set-up.

Ft rich has a golf course, only rule is the critters get to play through.

If it was me I would like wainright better. I just like the interior much better than south central.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
here in Anchorage we have 3 18 golf courses 1 9hole course and aindoor driving range . the base might know of an archery club on base or try Back Country Archery . there 2 shooting ranges rabbit creek and birch wood , i dont see any reason to leave your rifles and pistols in the lower 48 . Anchorage is close to 300,000 people whit lots of places for your wife to go shopping . it,s -7 deg at fort rich tonight

remember the 2% rule you must be 2% smarter then what you are trying to do

Posts: 85 | Location: Kotzebue, Alaska | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Is Alaska the retirement destination? If so you might consider bringing everything.

How strong is the relationship with your wife? She will love it or hate it, and if she hates it she will hate you for bringing her there. In Anchorage she should get around fine. If she's not from a small town she will have a hard time in Fairbanks.

I wish you the best of luck!

And again for the 3rd time in a row Go Navy beat Army!

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
Alaska is not going to be a retirement destination I still have 11 glorious years until I can retire. My wife want's go to Alaska she enjoys the outdoors as long as she can get a good job she really don't care. Also what is the housing market like up there?

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This link may help you in your search for a home:
http://websrvr1.alaskarealestate.com/Search/Property/Pr...x=6013663#LargePhoto

Eagle River is a favorite location for Ft Rich soldiers and workers. Quick 15 minute commute.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Houses aren't cheap up there either. I also heard there is a shortage of housing on post as well! I need to find a place with a big back yard I have two hounds that need room to play. Also nieghbore that won;t complain about them barking when they get a little excited too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd bring your guns, including pistols. The pistols are hard to drive thru Canada, but easy to check on the airlines if you do fly up for any reason. (House hunting, visiting relatives later, etc. That's how I moved all my guns up.)

Driving rifles thru Canada basically requires you to export and re-import them for paperwork purposes, with a fee. The real down side, if you care, is that it effectively registers all your firearms.....

Your wife's happiness will impact you more than your dog's.....I would suggest avoiding moving way out to where you can find more affordable space but giving your wife a long expensive commute and fewer neighbors. If you can't get on post be careful where you go....as always you may get what you pay for in terms of neighborhood safety.

It is expensive here, but I believe it well worth it. Spend the time and money to bring your wife up to look around for houses and neighborhoods. I think you will find it money well spent. (It was for me.....)

Cheers,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No they arent. But your VHA and BAQ will foot most of the bill and then you can sell it for a nice profit if you ever leave while having Uncle Sammy pay for it and you can deduct the interest. And you do not have to pay income tax on the VHA and BAQ, best of all worlds isnt itSmiler

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
Well it looks like I going to Wainwright the stryker bde is set to deploy next year and they need a counselor for one of there bn's.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ft. Wainwright, huh? Well then a hearty welcome to the Golden Heart of the Interior where we just came out of a -40 deg. cold snap. It's about -10 or so now.
Actually, we residents of the Interior prefer to be living here rather than south Alaska. The cold tends to keep the riff-raff out. Hope that you get to enjoy at least some of the Interior's outdoor recreational activities while you're here, and yes, I'd try to bring up my guns if I could. As to your calibers, either the .25-284 or the 6.5-284 would be great caribou/sheep rifles. Your .358 Norma would be great for moose & the larger bears as well. I have a .257 Imp. that I wouldn't hesitate to use on sheep or caribou. I don't use it because it's not really set up for that type of hunting - too heavy & also muzzle heavy. I use my .270 Win for caribou & sheep with never a problem so your 6.5 would be fine for those animals.
For now, take care. Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
I'm looking forward to going there weather or not! I see they have a sportsman warehouse there and a wal-mart. My wife and I are planning a trip up there in April os so to check out houses and other things. Are there any IHS (indian health service)offices located around there. Or other govt jobs my wife is a Government employee and is hoping to transfer to another job up there as well. Anyhow thanks for the help now I need to find a realtor in fairbanks and find a house.

one of us
posted Hide Post
323:
As far as IHS services are concerned, I'm not sure that what we have would apply. There's a Native Health Center that is set up for Alaskan Native health care. I don't really know how it works, etc. I THINK it works thru the native corporations somehow. I'm not sure. The native people are members of various corporations, according to their ethnicity and their geographic location.
As to housing, there is a lot of housing construction going on. Nobody can really figure out where in the world the base for it is coming from, but....
Yup!!! We got a Wally World. And a new Safeway (looks pretty nice) and a Sam's (being refurbished). The Wally World is getting a make over too & when it's done, they're supposed to have a grocery store. Hope so - we could use a little competition in that regard. Just bought gas today - about $3.06 / gal.
There are a number of Federal agencies here in town. BLM, U.S. Fish & Wildlife, IRS (of course), FAA. Those are just some of the ones that I can think of off hand.
That's just a brief summary of what you were enquiring about. April will be a good month to visit. No touristas, over 12 hrs. of daylight, and breakup (spring for all you cheechakos out there) will be well on it's way.
Anyway, hope this brief summation is informative and again, welcome to the north country.
Bear in Fairbanks

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Weclome 323!
At the risk of being ostracized, I'll say I much perfer the interior over Anchorage too. I love the accessable mountains down here, but Bear's quote about the cold is spot on! In Fairbanks you're really close to Alaska, in Anchorage you read about it and visit it occasionally.

My understanding is that all of the govt-provided native health care is through the IHS and NHS, so employment shoulf be plentiful.

Again, Welcome!

Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

Posts: 815 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
Well I have another question... Are Diesel truck very popular up there. I'm thinking about trading my 06 GMC 1500 Z71 in for a Dodge or GMC Diesel I will stay away from the fords LOL. The only factor right is the 700 dollar truck payment ouch but COLA once i get there will make that for me and hopefully I will be SFC if the good lord is on my side and I get selected for promotion to SFC . Anyhow thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
323:
First of all, I'm not an expert on vehicles but will try & answer your question. Yes, there are quite a few diesel P/U's here. Can't quite figure out the reason ya want one here what with cost of repairs, fuel etc. but..
The only thing I'd make sure of is that it better be well winterized. Don't wait until the last minute to "git 'er done". BTW, Good luck on yer promotion.
Later, Bear in Fairbanks