New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Bullet?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know you all are probably getting tired of my questions, but here goes...

I am trying to pick a bullet for my August hunt for interior grizz and dall are the targets.

I will use a Kimber 30/06 and I want at least a 200 grain pill for the bear. I want to get 2 and use the one that shoots better in my gun. Of the following choices, which would you use?:

DoubleTap Ammunition 30-06 Springfield 200 Grain Accubond Box of 20
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=436836

Federal Power-Shok Ammunition 30-06 Springfield 220 Grain Speer Hot-Cor Round Nose Soft Point Box of 20
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=553477

Remington Express Ammunition 30-06 Springfield 220 Grain Soft Point Core-Lokt Box of 20
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=547799

Norma Ammunition 30-06 Springfield 200 Grain Oryx Protected Point Box of 20
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=286754

Lapua Ammunition 30-06 Springfield 200 Grain Mega Box of 20
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=759982

Thanks again.

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 892 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
I would ask my guide or outfitter.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it was me, I would drop the cor-locts. I have seen how they work out of a .30 on a bear and I will never use them.

Why a 200gr? 180's work great and have better selection of premium bullets. twas me I would drop in weight for the better bullet.

Otherwise I havent used any of what you posted except the corelocts.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
Agree with Joel, go for the Federal Premium Vitalshok in 180 gr Nosler Partition.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of shphtr
posted Hide Post
Of the premium loaded bullets you might want to see which bullets/loads shoot best in your rifle.

Posts: 13 | Location: chugiak, ak | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Storm,

I would suggest that you carry only 1 bullet weight/type on your hunt. That way you don't have to juggle different ammo. You can easily use the same load on both species. A good dual purpose load would be the Winchester 180 gr XP3, Federal 180 gr MRX or 165 gr Barnes TSX. The XP3's and 165 TSX's work well. I have yet to use an MRX but it should be close to the XP3. Just find one that shoots good in your rifle and practice.
Good luck on your hunt.

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We've been having excellent results with the 180 and 200 grain .30 accubonds on caribou, moose and griz up here. Normally pass throughs with good expansion.

Posts: 125 | Location: AK | Registered: 20 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it was me I would go with the 200gr Accubonds. They are very accurate and have excellent terminal performance in my experience.

Do some shooting off the bags at ranges out to 300 yards, just so you get a feel for the trajectory and then get off the bench and practice various shooting positions. Try shooting from odd positions off backpacks and such, cuz' that's likely what you will be doing on the sheep.

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice guys. I have some 180 Nosler Partitions, but I wasn't sure if they would be suitable for heavy game. I may try a few other heavier bullets and see how they shoot. Thanks

Alex

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 892 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For your 30-06 I would recommend 180 or 200gr Trophy Bonded Bearclaws, Swift A Frames, or Nosler Partitions, or Barnes X bullets.

I would pick which shoots best in your rifle and use the same bullet for both animals.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Lots of responses here and none of them wrong!
If it was me I would pick a decent bullet in the 180 grain weight that my rifle shoots really well and shoot it a lot and know the point of impact at all distances you may want to take game at. Practice and then do it some more and not just off the bench. For me I use the bench until I have complete confidence in the load and the way my rifle is sighted, then sit on your butt and shoot, lean against a tree and shoot and throw down your pack and shoot, then you'll be ready. Offhand shooting at waterjugs is very satisfying. My rifle shoots Sierra 180 grain bullets very well and I've experienced dozens of kills with them on animals up to Elk with complete pass throughs from 50 to 425 yards, for me this would be my choice hands down, others will have differing opinions but the fact remains they work and so would many other bullets.
Good luck.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I lean toward the 180's as well but...only due to the hunt for Dall. For fall time grizz I would opt for a 200grn and over-they are "beefed" up pretty good by then after foraging for roots,berries, grasses and what ever else they can round up. I did not see the TSX if so I would go for that first-punches thru and leaves alot behind after impacting a grizz.

Of course, see what you rifle shoots the best and go from there.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the 200 or 220 gr. bullets shoot well in your rifle I would use them. There is something about a 220 gr. bullet at 2400 to 2500 f.p.s striking flesh. They kill.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with whichever one shoots best in your gun and use just one load for both

Posts: 554 | Location: CT | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can use 180 gr. Nosler Partition this gives the option of Federal High Energy. Out of my 24" barrel 06, they chrono 2860.

Largest animals I shot with this Gemsbok and Zebra - great performance.

Posts: 431 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 29 January 2006Reply With Quote