New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dall Sheep- Where and Who?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've sifted through hundreds of posts trying to glean info, but would like to start a new post...hopefully you guys that are in the know can help a hopeful sheep hunter out.

I'm looking for a Dall Sheep hunt for 2007. I haven't done much research in the past, as it was beyond my means financially.

What are the pros/cons of hunting in Alaska vs Yukon, BC, or NWT? Are there generalities that can be drawn between the areas (ie, cost, game quantity/quality, etc).

Most of the hunts I've found offered are in the Brooks or Alaska range. Are there other areas to consider?

To give some background info, everyone will be in good physical condition, though not great, due to age/job demands, etc, so we probably can't climb 5,000 vertical feet up sheer faces every day, but we also don't require wheelchair access.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Use enough gun...
Shoot 'till it's dead, especially if it bites.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lightning
posted Hide Post
Tex,

Just got back dall hunting today. Best trip I have ever been on. Went to the Yukon with the best outfitter. Kill a monster dall and you don't have to be an olympic athlete to do it. Yukon has by far the best dall sheep. I have been to Alasksa. I saw so many sheep it was a joke! Make sure you go on a horseback hunt. This was a great horseback hunt. The outfitter has a guide and a wrangler in each and and is one of the most organized North American outfitters I have ever seen. You have your own area to hunt. I am telling you this hunt is the the nuts of dall sheep hunting and is same price and any other Canada dall hunt. Yukon no doubt. Check them out at yukonsheep.com. Tell Tim, TJ from Dallas said he was the man! I can't say enough about these people.

Posts: 246 | Location: Argyle, TX | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lightning,

Thanks for the info. I sent Tim an email today requesting prices.

Did you see many Caribou/Bear, etc? How many days did you hunt?

Again, thanks for the information.

Use enough gun...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
yukonsheep.com

Tex, When I did my research re Dall outfitters I came up with the same answer,the Yukon rather than Alaska.This by no means is ment to put down alask outfitters,it really depends on what kind of hunt you like rtc.I personally really like a horse access rather than backpack.Backpack somehow limits your area and requires to be right,not so much chance to go 50 miles the other way Smiler
Anyhoo, I also "hunted" with Tim Mervyn.Or should I say paid him for a "hunt" I never got.
I would strongly recommend to walk to his neighbors- just my personal advice.Dont want to rehash how I was taken.

If you are looking for an honest man,1 I know and recommend is Chris Widrig,also in the Yukon.
Very enjoyable horse hunt - and honest.

You can even introduce yourself as to come from the AR with my recommendation

http://www.widrig.yk.ca/

Posts: 795 | Location: CA,,the promised land | Registered: 05 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sheephunter,

I ran across your story when I was searching posts...I'm sorry for your experience, and I will take that into consideration.

Also, thanks for your recommendation...I'll check that out.

Use enough gun...

one of us
Picture of Lightning
posted Hide Post
i don't know what sheep is talking about, but I guess anyone can have a bad experience. Tim can give you a list a mile long of references. Ask anyone that has gone this year too. My buddy and I both went on had a incredible experience. Talked to the other hunters and they had the same great time and took great sheep. First class all the way. Chris is good too, but from all my research I think Tim has slightly more and better sheep. He is taking some really heavy rams. Tim also has a strict age policy on the age of sheep he is taking and every guide he has follows it by the book. I don't know if other outfitters has a wrangler and a guide in each camp, but this made a huge difference in the organization on details of things being done. Also made for a good camp atmosphere. Tim had 9 horses in my camp that I had all to myself. We swithed horses everyday. Alot of details like this go into why I would never go with anyone else. But, to each his own. Talk to references, I have 2 from last week that says Tim and his wife Jen are nothing but first class.

<JOHAN>
posted
TrademarkTexan
Keith Koontz have guided a few friends of mine and they all been very pleased. Koontz offers horseback hunts in the Brooks Range.
http://www.koontzalaska.com/

Cheers
/JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
The best hunt of my life was in the NWTs with Stan Stevens last year for Dall. Fly in to various remote locations, then backpack from there. I didn't notice any limitations. Beautiful country. Saw caribou and grizzlies. There were plenty of rams.

Posts: 13805 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lightning
posted Hide Post
In Canada, Stan Stevens, Kelly Holcomb, Tim Mervyn, Chris Widrig are the 4 to consider. Kelly and Stan are both backpack hunts. Chris and Tim both have horses. I just like to cover alot more ground than doing backpack type of hunting. I shot my sheep 20 miles from base camp. I hunted out of base camp first 3 days and killed my ram 20 miles away on the 4th day out of a fly camp. IMHO, I got to see much more sheep this way and it increased the quality of my sheep. Not to mention pack horses are nice once you have got to bring the sheep back 20 miles. It also amzaing how much better the climb to the sheep was once I didn't have to walk 6 miles before getting to the base of the mountain. I say this because I have done it both ways.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I highly reccomend Matt Snyder of

http://outdoorsdirectory.com/akpages/akhunting/

Give him a call. Matt, Frank, and Sue will fix you up....if they have an opening as soon as '07 (may be booked already)

email me for personal references

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really appreciate all the information so far.

Can anyone give more of a compare/contrast b/w hunting Alaska (primarily Brooks or Alaska Range) vs Canada for Dalls? I think the first decision we need to make is where to go, then settle on an outfitter.

It looks like Canada will run about $3000 more than Alaska, on average, for total cost. What about trophy quality? Are Yukon and NWT Dalls generally bigger than Alaska's?

Use enough gun...

one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post
Howdy,
I'm hunting with this guy in October.
He does Dall Ram.
Will let you know how it goes.

http://www.gasandtime.com/

...."At some point in every man's life he should own a Sako rifle and a John Deere tractor....it just doesn't get any better...."

Posts: 630 | Location: Hawera, Taranaki, New Zealand | Registered: 17 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lightning
posted Hide Post
Yukon is the premier destination for Dall sheep. You will see twice as many sheep and the trophy quality is superior. I have done all the research and this is relly the day in and day out truth. Tim's area is bringing our heavier sheep on average as far as the Yukon outfitters are concerned. I am telling you I have been down this road. Pay the $3000. Do it once and do it right. Saves money in the long run. I speak from experience. Good luck. Sheep hunting changes you.

one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
I just checked the 1999 B & C Record book. 39 of the top 50 Dalls sheep came from Alaska. 11 came from the Yukon.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lightning
posted Hide Post
That's true. It's I think more area of dall hunting in Alaska might have something to do with that. I am not saying you can't kill a big sheep in Alaska. I am saying there is more of a concentration of quality sheep in the Yukon in the areas of the outfitters discussed (imho). I am sure there are good area in Alaksa also. But I do know that most, I repeat, most..sheep hunters that do the research would pick the Yukon if their goal was to take a quality ram around 38" with a decent chance to shoot a 40" sheep. That is what the Yukon has to offer. Go where you would like and good hunting!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tex,
been following your thoughts here.
I would recommend not to firstly decide where to go,Alask and Yukon are not that much different.
What you do have to decide on firstly ,is what kind of hunt you want ,what shape you are in.
In other words Backpack or horse.
I think there are some fantastic back packing dall outfitters,with superior trophies etc.
But walking ech day with your pack in sheep contry is not what everyone can do - or wants to do.It is though probably the most glorious - if you connect.
Assuming this is your first sheep hunt,maybe a horse hunt is a better "breakin".You still have to climb the mountain,but you got a more "luxurious "camp and a wider hunting area.
You can then see and maybe move to a back pack hunt if you like it and are up to it.

Anyhoo,1st decide what kind of hunt,then what kind of country.Meaning wide valleys of willows in between moderate mountains or jagged black rock.

Then see who offers the hunt you are after and judge their success.
Dont be blinded by success stories.In Dall hunts most people still find sheep, I think 90% or so. And success makes people jubilant.
Ask how many permits per year/how many hunter
Then ask the horn length of each hunter

the missing one will be the unheard ones,those you want to talk to- if you can.

Try to find out why.

A fe thousand diff in price should not be the deciding factor.You will look at your sheep for life and remember the experience.

Weigh all factors, go with the outfitter that offers what you want.Be careful , most will promiss whatever you are asking.

So ask the hunters that came back with small animals ore none and find out why.

It will change your future life,sheephunters are different and special.Nothing else compares Smiler

Enjoy your trip and wish you a big one

Posts: 795 | Location: CA,,the promised land | Registered: 05 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow! Tons of great information. There will be four of us hunting. We've decided that we would prefer a horseback hunt. It seems like there are quality outfitters for horseback hunts in both Alaska and Yukon.

We're not going to let money be the final decision, but if comparable hunts are available in Alaska for $4000 less, I have to ask why? And why not take that hunt if the quality is the same?

I haven't heard too many recommendations for top outfits in Alaska...anyone had a good experience with a horseback hunt in Alaska?

Use enough gun...

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
I have two successful Dall hunts in AK, never been to the Youkon. From what I gather both places offer good hunts if you find the right outfitter. If you are not able to climb steep mts or pack all your gear I think Canada may offer more opportunities. Most of the Alaska hunts will require a lot of physical work. Horses may get you into the hunting area but you are still going to have to climb hills. I think Canada allows the uses of a chopper where Alaska will not. Most units in AK require sooting full curl rams, canada is 3/4 in some units. My suggestion is to be very upfront with your outfitter as to what you expect and what you can haldle. This is not a time to BS someone. My experience in sheep hunting is that the hunter abilities most often determines the success of a hunt. If you are moble then chances are a guide can put you on a good ram. If you have trouble walking be honest and look for a guide who can take you into a unit that is a little less rugged. Some guides may also offer the use of an extra packer to help lighten your load. This may come at an added cost however if you are getting up there in age it is a good option. Good luck.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you really plan to have 4 hunters in your party, then you almost have to go to the Yukon. There are very, very, few outfitters in Alaska that can accomadate 4 sheep hunters hunting from the same base camp. The area needed to provide quality sheep hunting from one base camp for four different hunters is huge.
Please say that you all plan to hunt 1:1. Sheep hunting in a 2:1 situation is really the wrong thing to consider. I know a few outfitters in the Yukon can accomodate maybe 8-12 hunters in a base camp at one time. (Exclusive guiding areas helps.) Finding someone with 4 openings for the same hunt in 2007 would almost make me leary. The good guys get booked quite far in advance. A couple openings can be expected, but 4 is huge. And while some Alaskan outfitter can handle 4 at one time (max), anyone in Alaska with that many openings in 2007 ..... RUN!
I guess I also have to ask why you all want to go together. In my expereince it is rare to find 4 guys who all want to commit to the same type of hunt together, let alone a sheep hunt. Everyone has different needs, schedules, etc. Besides, hunting 1:1, you won't see much of each other anyhow, if doing the hunt right.

Good Luck, but you might want to rethink the overall plan before going much further.

Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Llamapacker, I appreciate your comments. Our party is: 1) Myself 2) My wife 3) My father-in-law 4) A close long-time friend.

My wife and I will be hunting as 1 "hunter," so we'll actually only need 3 sheep. The reason I'm asking these questions NOW is exactly what you've mentioned-good outfits book up fast...but I doubt ALL the opening for 2007 are filled 2 years in advance.

I'm interested in what you say about Alaska, and not many outfitters who could handle a group of 3-4 hunters...I'll certainly have to take that into consideration.

Thanks again for your comments.

Use enough gun...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Back to top, please chime in if you have any info or experience to share.

Use enough gun...

one of us
Picture of Lightning
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TrademarkTexan:
...but I doubt ALL the opening for 2007 are filled 2 years in advance.

They very well could be. I wouldn't wait around if you are tying to go in '07. As stated earlier, I don't see how most Alaskan hunts would accomodate your situation. I just haven't seen too many Alaskan outfitters set-up like this. You just have to set what is most important to you. If the cost is down on the list and you think you are going to go dall sheep hunting once, and you want to go the best place you can, Yukon is the place. If the money is up real high on the decision making list, you have more to think about. I have hunted both ways. I have come to one conclusion. I do it once, I find the best area, and hopefully the best outfitter. It saves me money in the long run. I started off in Alaka dall sheep hunting, before I knew what I was doing. I am not saying you can't kill a nice sheep in Alaska. I just play to percentages when I hunt and try to put them in my favor as much as I can. Yukon is the place for that.

I live close to you. I would be happy to show you pictures of the sheep I just took in the Yukon and tell you more about my experiences. I will be happy to tell you things in more detail. I think I can give you alt more infomation that way. It would be too hard doing this typing thing. There just too much. Send me a PM if you are interested in talking, if not good luck to you wherever you go. thumb