New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody Getting Any Snowshoes?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was waiting for a report before I picked up the trusty .410 and went after rabbits. Any of you AK boys seen any?

Posts: 1542 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 03 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nope!!

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I was in the Eureka area a week ago in the higher elevations looking for caribou. I wasn't in the more prime area for hares so I saw little sign, although I did see one along a creek bottom in the willows.

Posts: 9 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anybody know where we are in the rabbit cycle? Fish and Feathers has been absolutely no help.

Posts: 1542 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 03 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
That's a good question. I don't know where we are in the cycle, but my hunch is that the cycles certainly vary from one area of the state to another. From my own personal observations in just one area (Eureka), there were countless hares 5 winters ago, and I mean alot. My son and I enjoyed hunting them on snow machine. The following winter there was still fairly good sign, but I also saw LOTS of Lynx sign and even saw a family of 5 (something I have never seen before). In the past couple of years there is still hare sign (in the right places), but much, much less than five years ago (which I am personally calling the peak year). I've talked to some of the old trappers around the state and they have told me that Lynx pretty much primarily eat rabbit/hares, and that the cycles of each species depends greatly on one another. I tend to put alot of stock in the observations and teachings of our senior outdoorsmen. Also, FYI I didn't shoot any of the Lynx that I saw that year, not because I didn't want to....at the time I only had a .22 pistol with me (we were hunting hares), and also the Lynx were too far away for a pistol shot....at least for me.

Posts: 9 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote