THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Question for experienced Alaskan hunters

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for experienced Alaskan hunters
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SkyJacker
posted
I'm a 40 year old hunter who has grown up hunting in the swamps of Coastal Georgia. I know absolutely zero about hunting brown bear, Moose and Caribou. I am an avid bow hunter and have a couple of P&Y whitetails under my belt. I know that's completely different.

I've got this itch to bow hunt Alaska for a Caribou or Moose and Brown Bear hunt either in 2014 or 2015. Is this feasible? What words of wisdom or advice can you impart on me? Any outfitters you may suggest?

Posts: 177 | Location: Savannah, GA | Registered: 13 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 19432 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
Brown bear you'll need a guide as a non-resident.

Caribou or moose you can do without a guide. If you want a relatively inexpensive moose hunt (unguided), look at 40 Mile Air, or Meekins Air Service out of Tok or Delta Junction. They'll put you and a buddy into an area where you can spot and stalk.

Look over at Alaska Outdoors Network forums and use the search function before you make your first post or you catch some grief. The guys are good, but do some learning before you ask the typical newbie question.

Dave

Posts: 921 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Some species come with a guide requirement. Moose and caribou are among those you do not have to use a guide for and I'd recommend caribou for a first trip.

I'm not aware of current population numbers but Kotzebue and ANWR used to have good populations of caribou. Call or e-mail the area biologists in either Fairbanks or Kotzebue for current numbers.

Licensed air taxi info can be gathered from the state or fed folks and recommended air taxis can be gathered from a search on AR. Here in Dillingham for example there are at least two I can recommend whole heartedly and there may be something like 6 total.

Caribou move so it'd be easier to get in front of a herd and pick a good bull to draw on. Moose not so much. Caribou not being so bright helps also. Caribou are sort of elk sized so moving them is a little more reasonable. Big moose are suprisingly big and I've not brought along a lower 48 hunter that hasn't been genuinely suprised at the size of a bull moose on the ground. "I'm used to seeing dead elk but wow this is a lot bigger!" is a common refrain.

Once you've hauled your dead caribou back to the airport in the remote Alaska village you started from you've now the issue of the meat. Whether you want to or not I'd advise bringing it all home. It is good eating. Caribou is very lean but can be used the same as other venison and as long as you've done your part to care for it properly you'll enjoy it on the table. Some meat can be given away in the village and possibly the whole thing but "Trophy Hunters" aren't popular with the locals and if the perception is that you're insisting on only taking the antlers home and would just as soon dumpster the steaks you'll make hard feelings. Once back at the airport find a way to bone out or big chunk the meat, box it, freeze if possible and fly with it as checked baggage. There should be some kind of proprietor in both locations with some kind of familiarity in shipping game.

Posts: 9212 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SkyJacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
Some species come with a guide requirement. Moose and caribou are among those you do not have to use a guide for and I'd recommend caribou for a first trip.

I'm not aware of current population numbers but Kotzebue and ANWR used to have good populations of caribou. Call or e-mail the area biologists in either Fairbanks or Kotzebue for current numbers.

Licensed air taxi info can be gathered from the state or fed folks and recommended air taxis can be gathered from a search on AR. Here in Dillingham for example there are at least two I can recommend whole heartedly and there may be something like 6 total.

Caribou move so it'd be easier to get in front of a herd and pick a good bull to draw on. Moose not so much. Caribou not being so bright helps also. Caribou are sort of elk sized so moving them is a little more reasonable. Big moose are suprisingly big and I've not brought along a lower 48 hunter that hasn't been genuinely suprised at the size of a bull moose on the ground. "I'm used to seeing dead elk but wow this is a lot bigger!" is a common refrain.

Once you've hauled your dead caribou back to the airport in the remote Alaska village you started from you've now the issue of the meat. Whether you want to or not I'd advise bringing it all home. It is good eating. Caribou is very lean but can be used the same as other venison and as long as you've done your part to care for it properly you'll enjoy it on the table. Some meat can be given away in the village and possibly the whole thing but "Trophy Hunters" aren't popular with the locals and if the perception is that you're insisting on only taking the antlers home and would just as soon dumpster the steaks you'll make hard feelings. Once back at the airport find a way to bone out or big chunk the meat, box it, freeze if possible and fly with it as checked baggage. There should be some kind of proprietor in both locations with some kind of familiarity in shipping game.

Thank you Scott. That's not a problem at all. I eat what I kill. I know that you can eat black bear but have never tried it. What are locals thoughts on brown bear?

Posts: 177 | Location: Savannah, GA | Registered: 13 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HuntNBgame
posted Hide Post
I would say you kind of need to pick, Brown bear or Moose & caribou. Brown Bear seasons differ from moose in areas and some the caribou are closed.
Grizzly Hunting is another choice, but also requires a guide. The Brooks is a area that all three came be harvested in the same general area, But big open country and trying for all with a bow would be challenging. Alaska is game rich, but there is certainly not going to be a bear in every meadow or moose behind every alder patch.
I last hunted there in 2010, I had tags for Grizz,Caribou,sheep,wolf. Just in case I had the chance I wanted to make sure I had a tag for it. Only brought home a Sheep but I know if I had more time I could have gotten a Grizz, the sheep was my main goal and I got a Dandy so I'm notcomplaining. I would definitely get on the Alaska Outdoor forum as mentioned great site for all Alaska hunting, there are some ball busters but a lot of good guys willing to help, most are DIY guys and are residents so asking about outfitters will not get much responses. But like me there are a few nonres. that will chime in.

Posts: 131 | Location: East Coast,USA | Registered: 04 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HuntNBgame
posted Hide Post
Here's the link to the Alaska Outdoor forum
http://forums.outdoorsdirector...php/2-Alaska-Hunting

Posts: 131 | Location: East Coast,USA | Registered: 04 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SkyJacker:
Thank you Scott. That's not a problem at all. I eat what I kill. I know that you can eat black bear but have never tried it. What are locals thoughts on brown bear?

Bringing game meat home from here ain't easy, but it is possible. The ability to drop off even elk with the skin on in the lower 48 and either come back a week later or have them ship it to you is a luxury! Give yourself a day in town after the hunts over to get it packaged and chilled. It'll be a challenge, but possible.

I don't believe theres anyone that'd give you a real hard time about leaving brown bear meat. Some may josh you a little but its mostly not table fare the same way caribou is and I've only messed with it once or twice. You're not required by law to salvage any brown bear meat. I did have a local fellow ask me for the meat to feed his dog team one time. Bonapetite.

Sport or trophy bear hunting is usually popular among the villages because they're seen as varmits. On the otherhand moose and caribou are food so the village would rather not see their food wasted any more than a fruit grower wants to see apples on the ground.

Caribou is a manageable big game animal for the diy non resident hunter. Come up and look around for your first time,hunt a nice big bull and see how it works. If you get the chance and see a big bull moose leg laying around the airport, ask the owner if you can pick it up. Get that leg up on your shoulder and see what you think.

Posts: 9212 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a bunch of good advise in these threads.
My comments are short and sweet.
1. First time hunting Alaska use a good outfitter.
2. Never hunt Alaska alone.
3. The easiest Alaska hunt will be the hardest hunt you probably have ever hunted.
4. You probably will experience things you will not be prepared for.
5. Last enjoy, its hard but well worth every minute.
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alaskaman11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elk88101:
There is a bunch of good advise in these threads.
My comments are short and sweet.
1. First time hunting Alaska use a good outfitter.
2. Never hunt Alaska alone.
3. The easiest Alaska hunt will be the hardest hunt you probably have ever hunted.
4. You probably will experience things you will not be prepared for.
5. Last enjoy, its hard but well worth every minute.
Larry

I will second what Larry said, if you can afford a brown bear, get a guide for the rest. Most people don't realize the size of a bull moose intel he is on the ground at your feet, then the "oh shit" moment happens. You have to pack this horse out. With a guide, you can learn what to do. Then the next trip you can do it on your own. This state is not forgiving in anyway. She will kill you without any provocation. Trust me I know, my father in law ran a race and didn't come back. He was up here over 40 years. Just be on guard.

Double Rifles, This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as bolt rifle. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R
NRA Life Member

Posts: 293 | Location: Anchorage Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Game Hunter
posted Hide Post
Are you wanting a DIY hunt or guided hunt?

If you are wanting a DIY hunt, don't go by yourself. You'd be better off to find a buddy that has been to go with. Not only is Alaska a nasty place to die and is very unforgiving, the Troopers are unforgiving as well. There are so many rules and regs that must be followed and even though they can all read, not all of them will make sense.

If you are wanting a guided hunt, do your homework and check references or use a hunting consultant to book with a reputable outfitter.

Keith O'Neal
Trophy Collectors Consultants
Po Box 3908
Oxford, AL. 36203
256-310-4424
TCChunts@gmail.com

All of your desires can be found on the other side of your fears.

Posts: 490 | Location: Oxford, AL. | Registered: 24 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do not shoot a moose over 1/4 mile from where it can be transported. As everyone else has said; do not go alone. Get in shape and bring something to address blisters because you may be hunting in ankle fit rubber boots or hip boots.
If you are hunting north of Kotzebue on the tundra practice walking bleachers where you lift your feet at least 12" high with every step. The entire tundra up there is covered with Tussocks. Very difficult walking much less humping out moose meat. Can be a seriously tough hunt. I did it twice in my late 20's and early 30's. Both times I was in great shape and came home 10 days later and 12 lbs lighter. This was not steep terrain. My friend / hunting companion and I were very successful on these hunts.
Take a fly rod !!!!
Try washing your hair in one of those streams; it will give you a heart attack rinsing it.
Might consider a SAT phone. I took some serious drugs (pain killers) if I broke a leg or ankle because back then it might be a week before you bush pilot returns to pick you up.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Game Hunter
posted Hide Post
I concur on the ¼ mile moose limit. My personal limit as a guide is I will not let my client shoot a moose farther than 500 yards from a river where we can float the moose out or land a plane.

Keith O'Neal
Trophy Collectors Consultants
Po Box 3908
Oxford, AL. 36203
256-310-4424
TCChunts@gmail.com

All of your desires can be found on the other side of your fears.

Posts: 490 | Location: Oxford, AL. | Registered: 24 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HuntNBgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Game Hunter:
I concur on the ¼ mile moose limit. My personal limit as a guide is I will not let my client shoot a moose farther than 500 yards from a river where we can float the moose out or land a plane.

That's why I told my guide if you find a Big one farther then you would like, I'll pack it out.That let him know what kind of Hunter I was.
Ended up shooting one way farther then we would have liked, but would do it again in a heartbeat! It took both of us 2 1/2 days to get it all back to the air strip.