Find
Notify
Tools

Pinnel and Talifson's M70s
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted
Just finished reading my new issue of Sports Afield which has become my favorite hunting magazine. There's an article on Pinnel and Talifson's M70s. It made me wish I had brought my blued and wood stocked CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery with me on my brown bear hunt even though it rained every day but the day we flew home (of course). Although my synthetic/stainless XCR II in 375 Weatherby did all one could ask of it, next time I'm bringing both ... Smiler

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4737 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chuck thanks for letting us know. I own a scope that used to belong to Morris. I knew Morris when I worked for Fish and Game. I'll be sure to check out that article.

Posts: 66 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 07 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
There is a veritable treasure trove on Pinnel & Talison possessions sitting in a garage in Anchorage!The ADF&G biologist who manned the Dog Salmon River weir for years ended up with lots of the items they kept until their last days before retirement and leaving Olga Bay.
In his garage are;;
Talifsons original 8mm mauser
Pinnel's 1st Mod 70 300 H&H
Boxes of their slides from day 1 as guides,,including The 3 Bear Slide!!!!
boxes of negatives
Pinnels Suit he wore on booking trips to the states
movies and video's old and some just before they left,,Bill singing
Lots of old Bino's they used and let hunters use
ton of ancient camping gear and curious!!!
It's all there packed away,,it could be a Pinnel & Talifson's museum if the person would share,???

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1410 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I think a museum is an awesome idea.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4737 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I still read and reread the books about them. Wonderful history there!

Posts: 5707 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Waterrat I know who you are talking about and I saw him yesterday. Still alive and kicking.

Posts: 66 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 07 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I just used my photos of Bill's M-88 and Morris's M-70 300 H&H in my piece on Alaskan rifle history in the latest Suc Hunt magazine.
They were sold at the last Palmer gun show.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I lived on Kodiak Island mid 80,s went to a gunshow they had 4 or 5 Win 71 levers FS from
Bill & Morris. Good price as I recall and I stupidly did not buy one!

kk alaska

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All of the things I've heard and read about Bill & Morris....they were a class act and great conservationists to boot. I did get to see those rifles Phil has pics of at the Palmer gun show

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote