New
Find
Notify
Tools

The 400 Whelen does it again
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Spent the last several days chasing caribou in unit 13. Yesterday a little east of the McClaren River I spotted a few caribou. After they went behind a little ridge I put the stalk on. Much to my dismay they weren't there.

I spotted a lone caribou a ways further out and dropped into a gully to put me in range. Once again, no caribou. After checking a few more ridges and draws I headed back to the truck. I popped up over a small ridge and there they were. How they got around behind me I don't now. They must have gone over one ridge while I was in a gully between a couple of others.

There were 9-10 cows and calves about 350 yards out and one lone big cow lagging behind at what turned out to be about 200 yards from me. She was standing butt to me so I whistled once to turn her. Instead of turning she started trotting quartered away. I led her a little and held a bit too high thinking it was further than 200 yards. The 300 grain Barnes TSX entered at the third rib from the last and angled forward taking out the top of the lungs and exiting through the left shoulder.

No problem with the TSX performance other than the blood shot meat. That seems to be endemic to the TSX. The previous two animals I've taken with the 400 have been with 400 grain bullets and had no blood shot meat. I know, just trim the blood shot meat but the 400 grain bullets do so well without leaving the blood shot mess. I'll save the TSX's for bears and shoot meat with the 400 grainers.

The entrance wound

The exit wound

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting!
I love hearing about those 400's taking game.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am in the process of building a 400 Whelan here, in Australia. What 400 grain projectiles do you favour?
I only just this afternoon resized 340 gn 416 Woodleighs down to 411. I am hanging to get my Whelan back from the gunsmith.
Cheers Malcolm

Posts: 110 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Malcolm,

My favorite bullet is the Woodleigh .411 400 grain round nose over 58 grains of H4895. My rifle loves them and they perform well at the 400 Whelen velocities. I could be happy with the Hawk 400 grain as well. It performs very much the same as the Woodleighs.

I had the Barnes X bullets left over from load development and decided to try them this year. I'll go back to the Woodleighs.

I've taken one caribou and one moose with two different 400 grain round nose bullets, the Woodleigh and the Hawk. Both performed similarly with fist size exit wounds and not enough blood shot meat to fill a tea cup.

Mart

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Mart: Simply outstanding! You guys in Alaska are so darned fortunate.

beer

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16524 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
I'd say you held about right Mart! Thanks for sharing the hunt!

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice shootin! I hadn't heard of the 400 Whelen. I'll have to check it out.

Posts: 449 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
Great shooting Mart. I'll prolly do a good run down of the bullets available for the 400 if I build one . I have had great success with the 400 gr 416 bullets in the 2200 fps MV range on Sitka Blacktails . Eat right up to the bullet hole . But sufficient horsepower to dump an inbound bear while I was packing meat out.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote