THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Favorite gun care kit for the penninsula

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite gun care kit for the penninsula
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm going back to the penninsula this May for Brown bear. What are your favorite gun care/cleaning kits?

Posts: 155 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 30 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I have to admit that I typicly don't worry about cleaning my rifle till I get home. I do carry cleaning supplys with me if they are needed in the field but like I said unless the gun gets wet I'm not worried.

I think a bore snake makes in some ways the most since because you can oil your barrel run the snake through one time and call it good. They are light and work really well but my expiriance has been the bigger problem has been from foreighn objects like sand or stuck bullets in the throat and you will need a solid rod for that. I have found severall segmented rods over the years that will drive out an obstrution in the barrel and these are what I carry along with a can of oil and a bore snake.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
I oil my barrel then put electrician's tape over the muzzle, don't touch barrel again unless I shoot

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
I carry a kit & Cabobble cable rod in case of obstruction(it's been needed) and a silicone coth that I wipe down my rifle fairly often.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1414 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Waterrat, What's more than enough gun? I'll be taking either my .375 H&H or my .416 Rem, but not both. They've heard that something's up, and they're not speaking to each other...

Posts: 155 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 30 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Either would be fine,200 yd zero for a spring and some real raingear. Gook luck!

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1414 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the otis kit uses a cable for a cleaning rod and fold up into a package about the size of a little digital camera. handy and can be. wax your gun to protect from the elements and make sure the interior portions of the stock are well sealed

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I suggest a small jar of Corrosion X and a pull through cord. With those two you can keep things clean and rust free for months.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4206 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chisana
posted Hide Post
Pull through rod from the Kit and Caboodle, some appropriately sized patches, decent lube. That's about all you need.

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
Distinguished Rifleman
President's Hundred

Posts: 390 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 11 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of NRC
posted Hide Post
Those birchwood casey 'wet nap' packs are very good. They leave some kind of non-corrosive film on the steel, don't seem to bother wood finishes, and provide a great rust barrier. It's easy to stash two or three here and there.

+1 to the poster who talked about taping over the muzzle. Verify at the range that it doesn't change your POI (it never has for me, but you might as well check). Keeps all the mud muck and crud from getting in.

Posts: 52 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 29 January 2004Reply With Quote