THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    What's your view and experience, thoughts - deer hunting AK style?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's your view and experience, thoughts - deer hunting AK style?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted
I posted this elsewhere, but thought it is worthy of discussion here in AK hunting. I would like to read other's views, and thoughts on this subject:

I like the 30-06 and the 338WM, and even bigger calibers, because I love to hunt the sitka blacktail on the Islands of SE Alaska, and Prince William Sound, which are all inhabited by some of the largest land carnivors on the planet, the brown bear. When hunting in their domain, the 30-06 feels a little light. It's worth it to hunt here, because of all the deer hunting I've done, I like sitka blacktail in Alaska best. It's special and somehow pure - a hunter by choice among hunters by nature, an omnivore among natures best.

It just ain't the same down South, and never ever will be. Things change, once you've seen (and walked) worn down paths a foot wide, through the muskeg, and had the sensation like they say of goose bumps or hair standing up on the back of you neck. I've seen the bear super-hiways, from bed to fishing spot, and I've seen the paths, with each foot print, spaced exactly where each bear places a foot, regular spaced round spots in the muskeg, made by many bears, over many years, stepping in exactly the same place, as those who passed that way before.

It's a type of deer hunting that is incomparable. I really love it. I like sitting on a stand down South too, but it's not the same kind of hunting. I think it has to be experienced to really appreciate. I also think that every deer hunter should have the experience. It changes your perspective, well at least it changed mine.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Very good subject Kabluewy.
I also share your love of Sitka Balcktail hunting.
First let me say that it's more than deer hunting for me. It's the island expiriance. I hunt down on Kodiak and surrounding islands. I would just say arcypelago but I don't know how to spell it. But that go'es for every 3rd word in the English language for me.
As for deer yes it's great and I have taken very many but during late October and November when the rest of Alaska is frozen up Kodiak offers the last big game hunting for the year. Also when the deer are my primary target I am just as happy to shoot a prime fox or otter.
For this reason I used a mod 70 stainless .243 for severall seasons. It killed deer DRT and when I switched to my fmj it loads worked great on fur.
One day I killed two bucks a otter and a fox with that .243. I always knew that I might find myself in a jam with a bear but my mistake was my view that a bear was a possibilety rather than a matter of when.
The first time a bear stoll a deer from me and I only had that rifle in my hands I was forced to back off and when I came back the next day the only thing I found was the head.
The last time really got my attention when a sow with a cub stepped out of the brush a few yards away and we both shocked each other.
I brought my rifle up and remember the words going through my head (make it a head shot) at the same time the bear herself was deciding how to deal with the suddon situation.
She turned toward me and gave me one good look deciding fight or flight. I read her mind through my rifle scope and in the end she turned the other way and left.
That was the last time I carryed a .243 deer hunting. My last several deer have been taken with a .300 win or .338 win.
a fmj or match bullet from the big guns dose far less fur damage than most would think. [/url][/IMG]

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good post Kabluewy! My only deer hunting has been on Montague island, that was 3-4 yrs ago. I've been wanting to go back ever since. There's something about the slow stalk through big, quiet, wet timber.
-Nick

Posts: 47 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have hunted Kodiak about 10 times for blacktails and it remains the most fun hunt we do.
Sooner or later you will have bear problems, not maybe. Last time son and I went we had about a 11 foot bear following us as it was snowing and we didnt realize we had walked in a circle.
The days of me taking a .270 or 30-06 are over.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6636 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Yup I really like deer hunting . Never h gameaving hunted Africa I have no idea how often a hunter bumbles into dangerous game when hunting non danngerous game . But hunting the A B Cs in Southeast you can pretty much be assured you will be sharing the space with some punk in a brown fur coat .
That is why I have put much effort into finding the perfect gun and load for both species . .. I rally like calling during the rut . Course a fawn bleat is a pretty good bear call too.

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muskegex
posted Hide Post
One of the reason I like to hunt Prince of Wales Island is there are no Brown Bear over there.

Every season after coming in from Mt Goat hunting / backpacking in the Misty and relocating to POW Island ... I breath a sigh of relief.

Posts: 134 | Location: ketchikan | Registered: 28 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
I stay pretty alert in black bear country also. Several friends have killed blackies who were begining to get aggressive when they were packing out deer ... Course , compared to the remoteness of the country , the weather and the land ,sea and air .. Bears are just another challenge in the day . . A nd a fairly small threat compared to some boat rides....!!!!!

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by Gumboot

quote:
A nd a fairly small threat compared to some boat rides....!!!!!

You can say that again

Actully I might add that my worst charge by a bear was a black bear. I've only had a black bear charge once ( and only a couple by browns) but it was the black bear that charged so hard and fast that he took the bullet 10 feet infront of me and was behind me when he came to a stop.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
I know close to a half dozen guys who got killed deer hunting out of Sitka . Mostly in conjunction to boats sinking in bad wx . 1 trying to walk out @ night . And almost everyone who has been hunting thete for a while has lots of horror stories .. Then there are the bear stories ...