New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alaska grizzly hunt report!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Two guys from New Mexico went to hunt Bears with Jake Jefferson.
One hunted last year harvested. 9' bear.
Accounts from hunters:
This year they went to the area he shot last year but no luck. Jake set some new bait stations out and one proved to be very productive. Actually the lack of food made a big guy mad and when we got there the barrel was destroyed. We set it up the best we could and sat at the bait starting About 7pm. Right at 5 am a nice Grizzly came in an played with the bait and not really presenting a good shot. After about 10 minutes he gave Kyle a great frontal shot. One shot he was down but an extra security well placed shot from an R-93 Blaser 375 HH finished the 8'4" bear.
The next evening we took a bait barrel from another site which did not see any activity and put it on the site with the crushed barrel.
We went and sat in our blind about 100 yards away across a river from the bait. Well low and behold a big black bear came to the crushed can and stayed for 50 minutes.
We only had brown bear tags and did not want to burn a griz tag on a black bear. He was a great bear had just great size and excellent coat. It was about 11pm when he finished. Then at 1 am in came in a nice boar Grizzly not as big as the one I shot last year but a very well colored bear.
He presented a great full body shot, the 9.3x62 Blaser blasted him. Squared out 8'-3"
All over no tracking. Well 20 hours apart 2 nice bears.
For you guys that think baiting Griz is easy think again. With many outfitters hunting this unit only Jake had produced any success. This is not anything like Black Bear Baiting far from it.
Jake in the 2 years it had been legal to bait has produced 5 nice bears. I have been present for 4 of them and 2 by me.
If you want a great hunt and fun hunt and all that goes with it book a hunt with Jake Jefferson.
The proof is in the pictures!

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
2 nice grizzlies !! Jake Jefferson is the man to call for grizzly bear. The nice thing about Black River Hunting Camps is that Jake is the owner & guide. He takes you out for the hunt. He doesn't pass you off to a new "so called" guide that's still wet behind the ears.

Plus Jake can do the hunt you want. You can hunt early spring off snow machines, baited out of a nice lodge or high country backpack hunts in the blue berries.

Or a Kodiak Island hunt if you can draw the tag.

check out the website www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 600 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Very nice congratulations.

Baiting black bears isn't exactly easy either unless you're will to except the first one that comes in. The big boys aren't pushovers.

Either way it looks like everybody had a great time and got a nice bear. tu2

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2802 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Congrats to the hunters on some nice bears!

First pic looks like some low cloud cover came in while taking the pic. Smiler

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1219 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great report and nice looking bears.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great hunt, been following this years hunts of Jake, To get two nice bears in less than 2 days is pretty crazy. I seen this on the Alaska forum also. Seems one of the bears was a collared bear and has an interesting story it has a video of many moose calf kills, I believe 42 it stated in 6 weeks.
Will be a great story for that hunter to tell.
Keep up the hard work Mr. Jefferson.