New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rivers West clothing?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone used Rivers West rain/wind clothing? Seems like a great concept and very "workable" for hunters in wet climates.

Posts: 10241 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used it last fall for elk season. It is well made. I was wearing the new lighter stuff. It works ,BUT you will sweat, alot.

Posts: 266 | Location: Montana, up on the Highline | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I found that it was too warm for walking, but was just fine for the stand.

Posts: 512 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PWS
posted Hide Post
It's waterproof but doesn't breathe. Also, the textured surface holds moisture and collects at the cuffs. Be ready for it to all run down inside your sleeves when you lift your arms. All in all, I wasn't impressed for active hunting. May as well wear a rubber shell that doesn't hold any moisture.

Posts: 1141 | Location: Kodiak | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are there any water resistant breathable fabrics better than Gore Tex?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You may laugh at this but - Frog Toggs.
No insulation but that's why you wear them over your jacket(s). Also, cheap!

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Rivers West is great for standing in the rain but is warm/Hot? And will drip all over when you bring it inside at the end of the day.
Frog Toggs is also my favorite.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been playing with a RW jacket while working out in the elements. When it's relatively cold, the wind is howling, and it's raining/snowing, I like it a lot. However, when the wind stops, and it's above freezing, and you're active, you'll sweat your ball's off! I wish it were practical, 'cause I love the concept, but it's just too damn warm. I will use it in the duck blind though! Should work great for waterfowling. Should be super for stand type hunting as well. Mine has rubber cuffs, so it mitigates the problem of H20 running down your arm, when you raise your hands.

Jeff

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
i think I have tried everything in the line of rainwear and the bottom line is that if you are hunting in the rain all day you are going to get wet.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
i think I have tried everything in the line of rainwear and the bottom line is that if you are hunting in the rain all day you are going to get wet.

Good advice. I like the Frog Toggs too and they are very reasonably priced.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
the bottom line is that if you are hunting in the rain all day you are going to get wet.

Hey Phil, that was kinda Yogi Beara like! Big Grin

...and very true!

Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My hunting partner used Rivers West on a SE Alaska goat hunt we went on a couple of years ago. It's fine for mist and light rain, but in heavy rain it will get wet, hot, and heavy. Even in an Arctic Oven with the stove cooking all night it would not be fully dry by the next day. He was thoroughly disappointed.

I'm with Phil on rain gear; you'll get wet no matter what. My defining quality for a lot of gear for hunting in Alaska is how long it takes to dry. Helley Hansen just needs to be shaken off and exposed to some sun or dry air and it will dry quickly.

"Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Posts: 83 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used Rivers West in Alaska last year. I thought it was great. I had the heavier gear that they make,it had the long back,the rubber cuffs and the rubber waist band. I wore the jacket and pants. The only problem I had was that you don't want to walk in them for a long time, you will sweat. They are made for stand hunting, not walking in. Also, they were a joy to wear while I was fleshing out my grizzly. I spent the entire day in rain fleshing the bear out and the only things that got wet were my face and hands.

Posts: 560 | Location: Michigan, US | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote