Find
Notify
Tools

2007 Moose hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted
Just returned from my week long moose hunt near Delta Junction, don't have any pics right now but will post some when I get them. There was a total of 4 of us in camp and we did not connect on a moose this year. We saw probably 150 moose in 7 days with about 30 or so being bulls......all sub legal. We also saw lots of huge bull caribou, 2 grizz and some sheep. This was probably the worst year i've ever seen in this drainage which we have been hunting for about 12 years now and ths first time that we have gone home empty. To many hunters, warm weather and high winds prevented us from seeing the big bulls. I won't be going back there for at least a few years. We used 4 wheelers to access glassing points then pursued bulls on foot for a closer look to verify legality. Here's a list of some gear that I used.

1. Helly Hanson Impertech rain gear, been using this for about 2 years now and cannot say enough good things about it, a BIG thumbs up!
2. Wiggy's Superlite sleeping bag, good to 20 degree's, lots of room and I never even got a chill using this bag.
3. Sporthill 3SP camo pants, super warm, dries quickly and stretches when you need it too, excellent stuff.
4. Hot Stuff mittens, these have the the fingers in them that allow you to shoot while wearing them, good stuff!
5. LaCrosse Big Chief waders 600 gram thinsulate, been using these for a few years and they simply kick ass, kept my feet dry and warm and I wore them probably 10 hours a day.
6. Nikon XL II 15x47x60 spotting scope, easy to use and bombproof. Only time I had trouble was when I was at max power and the object I was viewing would be somewhat hazy but overall I reallly like this scope.
7. Sitka mountain shirt, I wore this thing about 5 out of the 7 days, it was super warm and comfortable.
8. Sitka Gear bomber belt, best belt I've ever owned!
9. Bull magnet, I cannot tell you how effective this call is, I called in 2 bulls within 10 minutes of calling and 1 came within 10 yards, grunting and looking for a fight!

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
m70nut;

sorry no meat for the freezer , nor mount for the wall. i am glad that you had a safe and enjoyable hunt though.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
M70Nut- Sitka Gear bomber belt? Just a belt to hold your pants up? Please explain.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
It's a belt that was designed for smoke jumpers, when I have that thing drawn up tight it stays there, kind of spendy for a belt but I like it so it was worth it to me.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report. I'm hearing a lot of that right now.

Always good to see a gear list from a local and compare notes. Helly Hansen...check. Wiggys bag...check. LaCrosse waders...I need to try these as many guys swear by them and I'm still using my Cabelas neoprene hip boots. Bull magnet...check. Sitka gear...hmmm, I haven't tried that yet.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I looked up Sitka Gear at this location...
http://www.sitkagear.com/Sitka+Gear

Looks like some good gear that I will have to consider. I have a ton of gear (especially clothing) for Alaska and it seems like the search is never over.

Here's that belt.

One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
The Sitka gear is geared more towards mountain hunting and mine didn't seem to block the wind very good but for warm weather hunting the mountain pants and shirt is an awesome combo. I've heard good things about the 90% clothing but haven't tried it personally.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about your hunt. Surely sounds like you are in a area with a healthy moose population. I wouldn't give that up this day and age. I noticed how the warmer weather has kept moose pretty inactive. Scored on a nice one this year, but not sure how the post pictures here.

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PM to Northway.

One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
We saw lots of moose every day so we never got discouraged but the lack of big bulls was disheartening. It is common for my camp to pull at least 2-3 50+ inchers out of there every year but I believe the warm weather had the bigger bulls sticking to the timber. In hindsight we probably should have went after the grizz as they were feeding on a blueberries on a far mountainside but we were afraid to run out of daylight. I've still got another opportunity to get a moose but it won't be an easy hunt but i'm game to put some fresh moose in the freezer. I saw that moose on the PV website northway, good looking bull and he looks huge bodywise, congrats!

"We band of 45-70'ers"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
M70Nut,

Thanks on the bull. My brother and I both put the shot into it. Both were killing shot, so it was a great time spent with the brother and his wife. It did have a big body! I am amazed at everytime I walk up to one of the moose on the ground. There rarely is ever "ground" shrinkage! Good luck on your attempt to get some meat in the freezer. My daughters and I have Delta cow permits, so I am hoping to get them their cows come October!

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is Northway's moose. Nice one.

One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
northway, you should have no problems bagging 2 cows, they are absolutely thick in that area. If you want a heads up to where I hunted shoot me a pm, i'd be glad to help you and your daughter out and thin some of those moose out of there.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yukon,

Thanks for posting the picture.

M70, pm sent. Thanks for the offer. I am excited about getting them their first moose. They are looking forward to it!

one of us
posted Hide Post
M70 nut.
Can I chime in with a question?
Thanks Smiler

I see that the Helly Hansen rain gear is often mentioned.
Helly Hansen is a very renovned Norwegian brand spanning over everything from ocean racing sailing gear, through sport/running clothes to work/ rain clothes.

But here in Norway, we seem to have a different selection than in USA.
I have been looking at their local web site, but can´t fint anything which resembles the rain gear you mention.

Any chance to give me a web adress to check out this rain gear equipment?

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunted area 13 along the Christachina river. Before F&G made it a 4 brow tine area three of us would always get at least two moose with none ever being a 4 brow tine.
Spent 7 days there last week and seen 6 bulls. 4 were either 3 or 2 brow tines and one was a spike plus 1 tine.
As luck would have it during the ride out (on the 21st) we seen a really nice bull, 55-58 inches. I give up. Having never seen a 4 brow tine moose when it used to be a 3 tine area has me absolutely dumbfounded as to why F&G made it a 4 brow tine area. Next year I am headed to the Koyukuk.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
Arild, here's a link for the Impertech line of rain gear, i'm pretty sure this is where I ordered mine.
http://american-workwear.com/helly_lightweight.htm

"We band of 45-70'ers"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link.
Look like we have the same sort her back home.
Actually got an olive HH rain jacket laying in the back of my pick up truck Wink

quote:
Originally posted by M70Nut:
Arild, here's a link for the Impertech line of rain gear, i'm pretty sure this is where I ordered mine.
http://american-workwear.com/helly_lightweight.htm

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
Hunted area 13 along the Christachina river. Before F&G made it a 4 brow tine area three of us would always get at least two moose with none ever being a 4 brow tine.
Spent 7 days there last week and seen 6 bulls. 4 were either 3 or 2 brow tines and one was a spike plus 1 tine.
As luck would have it during the ride out (on the 21st) we seen a really nice bull, 55-58 inches. I give up. Having never seen a 4 brow tine moose when it used to be a 3 tine area has me absolutely dumbfounded as to why F&G made it a 4 brow tine area. Next year I am headed to the Koyukuk.

Is it not Spike or fork or 50"min OR 4 brow tines? dancing

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote