New
Find
Notify
Tools

.378 Weatherby Magnum in Alaska
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone used the .378 wby in alaska? for moose/bear?
What loads/bullets/speed?
How was the effect?
I think it must be a very good choise for them who can shoot them well..
//OK

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
It works, Dad used old Partitions 270s in it.

Shot a lot of elk, and a few moose with it before his shoulder surgery.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D99:

Wonder if there is any correlation between shooting one and needing shoulder surgery?

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
animal

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MuskegMan:
quote:

Wonder if there is any correlation between shooting one and needing shoulder surgery?

That's EXACTLY what I thought when I read to post!!!! Big Grin That 378 is a mean machine.

Don

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Dad's shoulder started from a rough law enforcement training session that ended his career.

Law enforcement is not a job for 55 year old men, even if they are Special Agents in Charge.

So now my father is a full time grandfather and has a boss and subordinate relationship with a Italian Spinone puppy that is kicking his ass.

I don't think he has shot a rifle bigger than 30-06 in 8 or 9 years.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
.. I would like to build one .......I think it is a very useful round that would work great ,.... But the 375 RUM is so close to it velocity wise but costs so much less , it,s hard to justify .....

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love the .378 bee. It is an awful lot of a good thing. I tend to use the .375 bee quite a bit. I like Norma brass used on the big .378.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMB:
quote:
Originally posted by MuskegMan:
quote:

That's EXACTLY what I thought when I read to post!!!! Big Grin That 378 is a mean machine.

Don

I stick with my 375 H&H. It's really tough on the dangerous stuff and fairly gentle on my shoulder. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A local guide who has used 375 and 458 as backup on browns said that nothing gets their attention like a 378. His quote was "it just spins them around".
I owned on for a while and if you can tolerate its presence it will certainly get the job done.

Posts: 188 | Location: nc | Registered: 03 February 2008Reply With Quote