Find
Notify
Tools

Haines to Toc
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted
Planning on riding my Harley from Haines through Toc to Anchorage. Just wondering what condition the road is in. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They were in good condition in 2001, if you have the time go form Tok across the top of the world highway into Dawson for sure its a great town and a place to unwind for a few days.

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
... There are plenty of frost heaves ..Some fairly spectacular ones .... Don,t even think about hitting a moose or bison while on your scooter !!! It,s alot easier than you may think ......There will be bridge construction just outside of Tok on the AlCan and probably trucks hauling at Northway .... Pilot car lines at mile 92-97 of the Glenn Highway , but they arn,t running a night shift so this year the highway will be open at night , but you want to go easy thru all the construction areas ... Harleys don,t seem to make very good enduros ... I think they still have some work to do along Kluane Lake [klU AH nee]kind of with a canadian native inflection ...there will also be highway construction north of Northway ...I forget the mile post #s .... State DoT has a web site I think with the mile posts of all the construction , and if the highways are closed at night or not ....

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a buddy come into Anchorage from Tok about a month ago and he made good time. No real problems.

I believe it is hicks creek where they are putting the new bridge in. They seem to have the traffic thing pretty much worked out.

Not sure when the last time you drove the cut-off but it sure is nice with the improvements they made.

Have a nice trip.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the great info. I could have taken the easy route and rode the ferry all the way to Seward, but I jumped at the chance to ride the Harley through the Yukon. Hopefully I don't find too much rain. Lou

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Lou hopefully you don't find a bear that thinks you are a sandwich on wheels.

Or a bison or moose that wants to play tag.

I have driven through Yellowstone at night about 30 times and drove from Anchorage to Casper Wyoming a couple of times.

It is not something I would want to do on a Harley, but to each his own. Maybe a BMW Motoraad Enduro.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up. My wife will be in a car in front of me to hopefully run interference. Lou

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Dr. Lou,

I'm not sure about Haines to the Alcan, but from the Alcan to Anchorage you will have little problems with the road. It was in pretty excellent shape in March when I passed through. The only concern I would have is the area of the Yukon approaching the Alaskan border. When they say there are "bumps" they aren't kidding. I went airborn on one that caught me off guard just doing the speed limit! The drive entering the Mat-Su valley is spectacular with mountains everywhere. Enjoy the ride and seriously watch out for moose. They are out and about. I saw a ton of them this weekend on the Kenai Pen. Have fun and good luck.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
... We had already built the Hick,s Crik bridge last year , This year , the company I work for is putting in a new bridge near Tok ..... As summer is here many of the frost heaves have Frowner settled down , however with the ice turning to a liquid and flowing some places get subsidence , which is a mini version of hydraulicing / underground erosion .....

One indication of trouble ahead is the age of the asphalt .. If it is new black top , whiiind on er . Execpt for moose, bison , caribou , traffic , ect. .... Old asphalt , , good time to be nervous and slow down .... Some frost heaves / subsidence runs with the highway , and weaves from lane to lane .......That will really get ya ..... And of course the Glenn Hwy from Anch to about Eklutna is rutted pretty deep in some places .... I drove from Anch to Glennallen yesterday afternoon,evening . only fell asleep twice ,,, Thank God for noise strips .......course once I was in the other lane .doin 60 ...
If anyone is wondering why we don,t fix the roads , we do .... But Alaska and Canada are pretty hard on roads .. Perma frost is a real challenge ... What do you do with 40 - 100 feet deep black soup when it thaws out .....

. When you come thru , take time if you have it to stop in the Long Rifle Lodge , Mile 105 Glenn Hwy ., Matanuska Glacier .... Great food ,., and a world class view ...

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the great info. Knowing what to look out for and when to look will be a great help. Hopefully I don't see much rain. Lou