Find
Notify
Tools

Question on boots for waders
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
I'm taking my wife to Alaska next fall to hunt. When I went in 2010 I used Caddis waist high waders and wore my hiking boots over them. Thingds worked out pretty well except I ruined my good hiking boots.

I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for boots to wear over waders for lots of hiking/walking? I really don't want to get hip boots for me or my wife.

Thanks

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3060 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I pick up used military boots - a size or two large - at second hand stores and they are what I normally wear over my Simms waders when hunting. I also keep a set of New Balance sneaker for camp shoes and often like to wear them over the waders on many days.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
I wore a pair of these boots on a 15 day hunt with Phil's Grizzly Skins outfit. They held up well, gave some ankle support. I also had pair of low hiking shoes (gym shoes on steroids) along but stopped wearing them because they felt like they were going to come off while crossing boggy areas.

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I have taken waders a few times but they are a pain way to heavy.
This year I took Kenetreck Boots with their gators. Walk a bunch of streams and bogs no wet feet. If the stream is deeper than my knees it's pretty tricky crossing streams no matter what you are wearing.
Oh well
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
great feedback - thanks! I like the used military boot idea - plus you have the ankle support.

I will look at the kenetrecks also

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3060 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wore stockingfoot waders inside of my Mucks, although the ares did not require any climbing.

Posts: 20139 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Game Hunter
posted Hide Post
I have tried all sorts of waders for guiding in Alaska and hunting the lower 48. I found these a few years ago. This is what I recommend.

Clicky

Keith O'Neal
Trophy Collectors Consultants
Po Box 3908
Oxford, AL. 36203
256-310-4424
TCChunts@gmail.com

All of your desires can be found on the other side of your fears.

Posts: 490 | Location: Oxford, AL. | Registered: 24 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I've been wondering about these. My biggest problem is I were 14EE shoes, so these may not be wide enough, but might be perfect for my wife. I was thinking of ordering her a pair to try on.

quote:
Originally posted by Big Game Hunter:
I have tried all sorts of waders for guiding in Alaska and hunting the lower 48. I found these a few years ago. This is what I recommend.

Clicky

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Austin, with 14 EE, you could probably walk on water!!! :-)

Posts: 20139 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of oakman
posted Hide Post
The best waders are the pants type with a sock foot and just wear your good old hiking boot. I hunted blk bear in SE Alaska in this and it was great. They never ripped and I was in heavy timber,and they also breathe . ... patriot

life member of SCI
life member of NRA
NTA
Master Scorer SCI
Scorer for Rowland Ward

www.african-montana-taxidermy.com

Posts: 241 | Location: Montana USA | Registered: 01 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cabellas muck boot as long as the temperature is not below freezing

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote