Find
Notify
Tools

Just for fun
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just for fun guys.
You are an Alaskan bush pilot and you have to put together a survival kit in the plane before taking off. You are taking two passengers, a married couple. What should you take ? The country you fly over is full of Bears and wolves. It also has many lakes and streams.
Well I will start out.
First aid kit. Case of bottled water, case of MRE meals
GPS unit, Cell phone, survival radio with weather channel, hand held CB radio, compass, Map of area, flair gun, Several rolls of TP, Leatherman pocket knife, hunting knife, hatchet, hunters saw, fire starter, water proof matches, 100 yards of twine type rope, Mag lite flashlight with spare batteries, shelter half, small backpackers stove with potable pots, Army wool blankets, and a backpack. Would have a Ruger Red Hawk with stiff hunting loads in 44 Mag with extra ammo and holster and a 12 gauge pump shotgun with no# 6 shot ( For Birds ) and 00 Buck shot along with slugs. Small box of fishing tackle. Any thing I left out ?

30-30 Man

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nothing but the other plane to carry it all in........

Joe

Posts: 369 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 04 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most likely the cell phone & CB won't work unless you go down near a town. A case of MRE's will weigh alot and take up alot of room.
Suggestions:
first aid kit that includes giardia antibiotics, some bottled water and a water purifier, granola bars, beef jerky and candy, ARC personal locator beacon with GPS, Garmin Rhino 120 gps, satellite phone, compass with maps, 2-3 synthetic sleeping bags, plastic sheeting-enough for shelter or wrap up in, 100 yards 550 (parachute) cord, fire starter, waterproof matches, 2-3 road flares, leatherman, saw with wood & metal blades, flashlight & batteries, headlamp and batteries, pistol & ammo, rifle & ammo if you have room.
The above items will do for a few days if rescue is delayed by weather. Realize that a water landing might be a possibility and the plane with above contents may sink, so keep certain items (ARC-plb, pistol, flashlight + other items you decide on) on your person if you have to exit a sinking plane. You should also go over the operation of these items with your passengers in case you are incapacitated.

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
There are already rules concerning this contained in the Alaska Supplement to the FAR's. Here's the list...

Alaska law requires that no pilot may make a flight in Alaska without carrying emergency equipment.

This equipment includes:
Food for each person in the aircraft sufficient to maintain life for two weeks.
One ax or hatchet
One first aid kit
One pistol, revolver, shotgun, or rifle and ammunition as appropriate. This is for use in food gathering. protection. and to attract attention of rescue aircraft or vehicles.
One small gill net and an assortment of tackle such as hooks, flies, lines, and sinkers.
One knife
Two small boxes of matches
One mosquito headnet for each person.
Two small signaling devices, such as colored smoke bombs, signal mirrors, railroad flares, or Very pistol shells stored in sealed metal containers.
In addition, the following are required for winter travel, October through April.
One pair snowshoes
One sleeping bag
One woolen blanket for each serson
You may be asked about your survival gear when filing a flight plan, but the responsibility for having it on board the aircraft is the pilot's. Complete information on survival gear and basic requirements are contained in the Alaska Supplement under the section "General Notices, General Information on Flying to Alaska (Civil)".

...and here's the link...

Alaska FAA Link

Two weeks food sounds a bit extreme.

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget..there should always be at least one bottle of Crown Royal stashed in any serious survival kit...

dave

Posts: 314 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BW, I can tell you that this list is not standard with many flights to the Bush.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
YD,

I understand reality doesn't live up to the rule book. The sleeping bags and the two weeks worth of food are a bit large for most planes.

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Cell phones are marginally effective on the road system, and would be nearly useless off of it. CB's have very limited range and equally useless. There are small HAM radios that communicate to aircraft frequencies, and that is what you'd want for communication.

As others said, there is way too much stuff on your list unless you're flying a beaver. With smaller aircraft, the passengers would likely have some gear they'd like to transport as well.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
You don't specify the aircraft. With two passengers it isn't a Super Cub. IFR or VFR? Useful load of the plane and the physique of your passengers will dictate your gear to some extent. If you were smart you will have filed a flight plan with the FAA (this would be required if flying IFR). If you were even smarter you will have included a handheld transciever so you can communicate with search and rescue aircraft. Otherwise BW's list is pretty complete.

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I'd leave the pistol if you had the shotgun, (useless), and make sure you had a sleeping bag, leave out the CB and Cell phone for a good radio as stated earlier, make it a small enough package so it is not in the way, if too cumbersome the temptation will be to leave it out when transporting something that at the time seems more important.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
all this stuff with a hunter, pilot and hunting gear in a super cub---bet me!!!!

Posts: 510 | Location: pa | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You would absolutely need something to kill the taste of the MRE's. What do they make those from, recycled batshit? I ate them for two weeks last fall and I still shudder at the thought of it....

Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreaming.

Posts: 263 | Location: SE Colorado | Registered: 24 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by two canoes:
all this stuff with a hunter, pilot and hunting gear in a super cub---bet me!!!!

the original post specified two passengers - a married couple - might be pushing a super cub. Not sure you could barter the lady to squeeze into the extended baggage area. maybe she'd go if it had a belly pod Smiler

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everything seems about right maybe I wouldn't stress about the stove it wouldn't last very long anyway and take up a lot of room. fishing line and a few hooks is a good idea. I would definately take the extra time to take toilet paper Big Grin and make sure it is in baggies. You could live for a while in the bush with all this stuff and be alright. (wiping your ass with leaves just really sucks)

Schmaus

Posts: 304 | Location: Prince George BC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sixgun Symphony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
I'd leave the pistol if you had the shotgun, (useless),

A shotgun might sink with the plane while a handgun will be worn on your person.

Posts: 1254 | Location: USA | Registered: 14 June 2005Reply With Quote