THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Getting the rifles ready for alaska

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting the rifles ready for alaska
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am takeing my 9.3x74r double and montana 1999 416 rem mag in a accurate inovations stock, It has a al. bed and lamanated stock.
This is a post I put in Double rifle section

First I took the stock off and degreased the action with carb cleaner, then brake pad cleaner. It removed all of the factory grease/oil. I let it dry Then gave it a light coat of high tec mil-spec syntheic oil that's good to go down to O degrees. I do not expect deep/hard cold next month. If I did it would get lock ease only. I am more worried about rust and swelling than having it freezing up.

The inside of the stock has no finish at all underneath the pad or in the stock mortese. I will give it several verry wet coats of a product called Camp Dry. Camp Dry is a silacone and wax base spray made to waterproof tent seams and clothing.It will still allow the wood to breath.It also shines the stock up and makes it look pretty. The fore arm will get the same treatment. After the campdry dries I will put a coat of heavy wax under the recoil pad and in the barrel chanel of the forearm. My gunsock will also get a good coat of camp dry.

The bores got a good cleaning and the outside will gwet a paste wax treatment.

What should I put on the scope and aim point lens to stop fogging and misting rain problems.

I got butler creek caps on both. Should I do some rainX

(Any good ideas will be considered.)

The stock of the 416 will get the same treatment, barrel and action is in black teflon by Birdsall.

Anything else I should consider doing.

thanks
JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When and where are you hunting in AK has a lot to do with prep of rifles. If your not worried about them freezing up you don't have to degrease rifle. Sounds like your covering some of the bases. With most DR's having unfinished actions with breech and muzzles of the barrels unfinished (use black electrical tape on muzzles, that eliminates the muzzle end issue) I've seen them start to rust in one partial damp/rainy day in Colorado. Some of the other DR guys here in AK will give you some good advise for rust protection. Any defogger will work on lens.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
0 degrees ?? Please always specify F or C Smiler

In sub-freezing temperatures the big problem is condensation ! Use top quality lube designed for low temps.and LIGHTLY apply the lube.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
0 degrees ?? Please always specify F or C Smiler

In sub-freezing temperatures the big problem is condensation ! Use top quality lube designed for low temps.and LIGHTLY apply the lube.

F.

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
Picture of Anjin
posted Hide Post
Just my opinion, but you may be over-thinking this. Johnson's Floor Wax on the stock. Moly lube on the steel. Yes, Rain-X may be okay on the scope but I wonder about the effect on the coating. Personally, I would leave it alone. That may handle it for the time you are there.

Simple, tried and true is good.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer back in the US after 25 years and, having met a few of the bad guys and governments here and around the world, now focusing on private trusts that protect wealth from them. NRA Life Member for 50 years, NRA Endowment Member from 2014, NRA Patron from 2016.

Posts: 554 | Location: Sandia Mountains, NM | Registered: 05 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anjin:
Just my opinion, but you may be over-thinking this. Johnson's Floor Wax on the stock. Moly lube on the steel. Yes, Rain-X may be okay on the scope but I wonder about the effect on the coating. Personally, I would leave it alone. That may handle it for the time you are there.

Simple, tried and true is good.

I am over thinking this! Doubles do not have the strongest stock designs and cost a couple grand to restock. Any swelling or looseness can cause it to split faster than panty hose on a fat broad. I was told to expect up to 10 days of a light misting rain. The camp dry was cheap and easy to apply to the deepest recesses of the butt stock which is mostly hollow. After that dried, I put a heavy coat of paste wax under the recoil pad area, where I could reach the inside of the hollow but stock and in the action mortese.

The rifle needed a good cleaning and the buttstock had to come off to do it. Water now beads off the unfinished wood, where the recoil pad sits and in the barrel channels of the fore arm. All exterior metal parts got a coating of rain-x and wax.
The reciever got a light coat of a synthec mil spec oil.

One of my Nikons came with a wipe ,to treat the lens with a water shedding agent, I will apply it just before leaving.

Having trained as a gunsmith when I was much youner, I saw a lot of needless water damage to some fine shotguns down here In South Louisiana. I started the thread to share not only what I learned to do, but to get some ideas from the locals who deal with it daily.

Thanks for your input.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J D:
I am over thinking this! Doubles do not have the strongest stock designs and cost a couple grand to restock. Any swelling or looseness can cause it to split faster than panty hose on a fat broad. I was told to expect up to 10 days of a light misting rain.
JD

In times past I had a notion of hunting brownies in AK with a DR. There is just something thats cool, romantic and just down right feels right about hunting BG or DG with a DR S&S or O&U. I felt the same way when I took a nice Northwest Territories Dall Ram some years ago, 1984 to be exact, with a homemade long bow and cedar shaft arrows. Few if any rifles carry and point like a well balanced DR. I've done it in Colorado and two different African hunts as well. JD you well noted one of the down sides of DR's, they are indeed more fragile high maintenance babes in and off the hunting grounds than most any kind of rifle and are usually worth 7-10 fold more than most other kinds of bolt rifles.
Personally I would rather come into camp after a wet day in the brush wipe my rifle down with a silicone cloth call it good, grab a cup of coffee and some grub. Just a thought, I think you will have a grand time in the bush with the Montana 1999 416rem with the laminate stock, keep the DR for hunting in drier climates.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why do you need --LUBRICATION-- on metal parts when they are only going to pass each other --1--time???????????????????????????????????

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dirklawyer:
quote:
I am over thinking this! Doubles do not have the strongest stock designs and cost a couple grand to restock. Any swelling or looseness can cause it to split faster than panty hose on a fat broad. I was told to expect up to 10 days of a light misting rain.
JD

In times past I had a notion of hunting brownies in AK with a DR. There is just something thats cool, romantic and just down right feels right about hunting BG or DG with a DR S&S or O&U. I felt the same way when I took a nice Northwest Territories Dall Ram some years ago, 1984 to be exact, with a homemade long bow and cedar shaft arrows. Few if any rifles carry and point like a well balanced DR. I've done it in Colorado and two different African hunts as well. JD you well noted one of the down sides of DR's, they are indeed more fragile high maintenance babes in and off the hunting grounds than most any kind of rifle and are usually worth 7-10 fold more than most other kinds of bolt rifles.
Personally I would rather come into camp after a wet day in the brush wipe my rifle down with a silicone cloth call it good, grab a cup of coffee and some grub. Just a thought, I think you will have a grand time in the bush with the Montana 1999 416rem with the laminate stock, keep the DR for hunting in drier climates.

Double owners/ hunters are an interesting bunch.

If you all don't mind,.........Fine auto owners usually own both "Daily Drivers" and their treasured pieces. The DD gets used to go to Walmart and the kids college dorm parkinglot and the treasure is driven on planned, controled excursions. My father had a few nice cars and he'd be damned if he'd leave them in the airport parking lot for a week while flying out of town.

Certainly many of our wives or lady friends have expensive jewelery and it is worn on some occasions but not others. While riding the subway our ladies don't model their Rolex's do they?

Why then, why, why, why do you folks insist on intentionally hazarding in some cases 10's of thousands of dollars rifles on hunts in an environment you know with certainty to be harmful to fine firearms?

While fishing here I mostly use Ugly Sticks. They work well and at the same time are in expensive. Last year when the North Dakotans were out here king fishing with me on the first day, first drift, first fish Joe reached up in the middle of the rod to get a better grip on the fish and ofcourse the rod snapped in two. We're like 15 minutes into a week long excursion and Joes demo'ing gear.

See what I mean? Leave the fine specimens of anything for the situations where the environment is controled enough to me able to manage the items preservation. Watch out for Joe. Anyone here ever let the kids display your original Picasso in their college frat house?

Posts: 9463 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
quote:
Originally posted by dirklawyer:
quote:
JD

Double owners/ hunters are an interesting bunch.

If you all don't mind,.........Fine auto owners usually own both "Daily Drivers" and their treasured pieces. The DD gets used to go to Walmart and the kids college dorm parkinglot and the treasure is driven on planned, controled excursions. My father had a few nice cars and he'd be damned if he'd leave them in the airport parking lot for a week while flying out of town.

Certainly many of our wives or lady friends have expensive jewelery and it is worn on some occasions but not others. While riding the subway our ladies don't model their Rolex's do they?

Why then, why, why, why do you folks insist on intentionally hazarding in some cases 10's of thousands of dollars rifles on hunts in an environment you know with certainty to be harmful to fine firearms?

While fishing here I mostly use Ugly Sticks. They work well and at the same time are in expensive. Last year when the North Dakotans were out here king fishing with me on the first day, first drift, first fish Joe reached up in the middle of the rod to get a better grip on the fish and ofcourse the rod snapped in two. We're like 15 minutes into a week long excursion and Joes demo'ing gear.

See what I mean? Leave the fine specimens of anything for the situations where the environment is controled enough to me able to manage the items preservation. Watch out for Joe. Anyone here ever let the kids display your original Picasso in their college frat house?

I guess it like being married to a pretty lady and never takeing her out to supper for fear she will get fat aor fall for the waiter.

A fine double is a tool designed to do a job real well.

I will be hunting black bear and do not need that level of power for a black. I hope to walk up my bear, and there is good chance of getting close and personal with a grizzly or brown bear while sneaking around.

I would rather have 2 from the 9.3 handy than one from the 416 if that were to happen. I do not want to get in a pissing match with a big bear, but if it goes down I want to win!!!

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess it like being married to a pretty lady and never takeing her out to supper for fear she will get fat aor fall for the waiter.
JD

JD, If this is your allegorical feelings about your DR that's why Scott and I are saying if you are rustaphobic with your DR, and you SHOULD BE, leave it at home and have a good time, your over gunned with the 416 anyway.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys you got me all wrong. The prep is not about a little rust. I don't want a stock to split at the wrong tme,or miss a shot due to a poor factory finish.It all about performance

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JD use what you want and have a great time!! As far as prep do it if it make you feel more comfortable. I have hunted with a few gun that my partners thought were not the (best) for the job. Fun thing is that I normally get more a bigger game and I always have a great time!!!! Clint

Posts: 390 | Location: out side lansing mi | Registered: 28 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Anjin
posted Hide Post
Interesting thread. I agree that JD seems entirely reasonable in wanting to use his double and to take the precautions needed to care for it in Alaska. We do love our doubles.

OTOH, I very much go with the "Ugly Stick" school of thought, as far as AK is concerned. I have never hunted there, so others can speak with more authority, but I have thought about it enough over the past 30 years to be aware that the level of moisture, not to mention salt water, is way up there. And not infrequently, that moisture is moving horizontally.

That is why I happen to have some suitable LH bolt actions like a Rem 700 375 H&H (modified by Butch Searcy's claw extractor) and a SS Model 70 in 338 Win Mag.

It is true that a fine double in big caliber does the job. My own, which is a 500/450 3-1/4 inch H&H, was state-of-the art when it was built -- 1906. It works great today. Would I take it to AK? I don't think so. That is why I have the less expensive -- and less easily ruined -- bolt actions.

If I had a LH CRF bolt in 416 Rem, I'd lean towards that, despite being well-gunned with my current bolts.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer back in the US after 25 years and, having met a few of the bad guys and governments here and around the world, now focusing on private trusts that protect wealth from them. NRA Life Member for 50 years, NRA Endowment Member from 2014, NRA Patron from 2016.

Posts: 554 | Location: Sandia Mountains, NM | Registered: 05 January 2011Reply With Quote