THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Wiggys, Eberlestock & Therm-a-rest...

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wiggys, Eberlestock & Therm-a-rest...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted
I posted this on the Backpacking forum, but maybe you guys would have more field experience.

Any feedback on the Wiggy's sleeping bags, specifically the Light and Ultralites?

How about the Eberlestock Just One backpack with the internal scabbard?

Sleeping pads - do the self-inflatable Therm-a-Rest ProLite3's hold up, and are they adequate for a ~200lb guy.

Thanks! Bill

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I haven't used any of the products, but there have been some extensive discussions about Wiggies bags here: http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/akforum/akhunting/index.htm

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill C ----- The therm-a-rest pads are very good, I have one that is 20 years old and has had many climbing trips all over the West and Alaska on hunts. I have an old Marmot Mountain bag that is goose down with gore-tex rated to 20 below that is also very good. I think the company in now simply Marmot. I looked at the Wiggies and hear they are very good also. I am not familiar with Eberlestock backpacks. wave Good luck

phurley

Posts: 2349 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill C.

I have a Wiggy's bag, and can see no real advantage of having one, over the other leading brands. I own 1 Wiggy's, 3 Army systems, and a North Face, and again, see no marked advantage.

I find the Wiggy's to be a bit bulky, and harder to stow in it's supplied compression bag.

Additionally, the Wiggy's is a bit spendy for what you get.

ceg

Posts: 197 | Location: alaska | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used the Eberlestock Just One back on my sheep and moose hunt last year. I was very pleased with the pack. Very comfortable, handles the weight great, and was very happy with the scabbard during the sheep hunt.

I also used the Pro-lite 3 pad (3/4). Quite happy with the pad as well, and I am about 225 pounds. Yes, my other therma-rest (1 1/2" model) is more comfortable, but too heavy to pack far. I think the Pro-lite did a great job, and for the small weight is worth carrying.
Good Luck.
Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't used a wiggy's, but own a north face cat's meow now for 8 years. It is the best sleeping bag I have ever had. Very light and compresses well. Have no reason to find another. I use the new thermarest prolite 3 pad. It is AWESOME! I weigh anywhere from 225-245, so it works! Wouldn't sheep hunt without one. I bought one of the Barney's packs. It is hands down the best pack I have EVER worn. Very comfortable. When you are doing 150#'s +, it is a must. Just my opinion, I hunt hard, am hard on equipment and will only use what holds up for me.

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Spend the money and get the Prolite 4 instead of the 3. Its a little cushier and very nice. My fiance has one and I keep borrowing it. I weight 255 and it holds me fine. Therma rest is real good on warranty items also.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have all three--the Just One and Pro lite 4 I used this year--would give a thumbs up on both--the scabbard was nice, but I couldn't draw my rifle out while wearing it---not sure why, but it didn't matter I usually have it in my hands anyway, but when I did use the scabbard for tough climbs (like straight up) it worked great--holds your rifle snug and maybe that's why I had trouble drawing it when I was wearing it--needed broken in--will see in the future--

I have a Wiggys Ultima thule(2 bags that can zip together)--it's not the lightweight one--yes I agree it's bulky, but it has served me well and I can always unzip it and go lighter if needed---chris

Posts: 294 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 29 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone here still use a down bag in Alaska?

ceg

Posts: 197 | Location: alaska | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own several of each.

I love my thermarest and compare any other pad to it...I might try one of the Big agnes pads as I have heard they are warmer. For comfort, I think a thermarest is hard to beat(I have one that I bet I have slept on for 2 years total....several summers I spent 3 or 4 months is a tent).

I have three wiggy bags. The Ultima thule, ultralight and an over bag. I have spent time long periods of time in sleeping bags and like wiggys the best mainly from the moisture standpoint....any other bag i have owned has felt "clammy" after a few days in it. After several winter camping trips I have had friends order wiggy bags....they saw how warm I was and decided to buy one.
I have been in -25 with my Ultima tule and overbag ofr a couple of nights in an unheated tent. The only time I as comfortable was in the bag! heavy, but good moisture control.

The pluses are the good insulation, heavy zippers, washability(in a regular washing machine whenever they are dirty) and moisture mangament(no clammy feel at -25 or 35 and rainy) Price is good for what you get to, IMHO. The misuses are that they are heavy, maybe not the best backpacking bags, the hoods aren't great and the are not as nicely finished as some of the high end bags like North face, marmot, feathered friends, Mt hardware, western mountaineering, etc. The other negative is the guy is a nut sofa, but I do like his sleeping bags.

I like the look of the eberlestock packs. I looked at two last week at the Sportsman warehouse in Anchorage, the J104 and 105. The 105 was stiffer, probably better for a heavy load. The quality looked great, and the pack layout almost forced me to buy one right there! Big Grin It really does compact down when empty and expand when needed.

Still looking for a pack to replace my old external frame...just haven't decided yet(too many good choices)

-phil

Posts: 126 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 07 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Wiggy's ultra-light very good bag, some people wont even think about buying a
wiggy's because of the owner Jerry, im surprised they havent chimed in yet.

As far as im concerned i dont care what the egotistical dude thinks, the bags do what they are advertised to do, and will also do it when totally wet, a great bag for AK, although a little bulky.

Posts: 498 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote