THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Goat Hunt in Unit 13 has anyone hunted there before.

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Goat Hunt in Unit 13 has anyone hunted there before.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I got a goat permit for unit 13.I know that there are jet boats that go up the Klutinia but what other way is there too hunt.Can you take 4 wheelers in any way?I am looking forward to this hunt.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are talking about the RG718 permit, I drew that one as well. Big Grin I've been told there is plenty of sheep as well as goats up there. I'll be gunning for both.

I'm thinking about taking the Klutina Lake Trail back into the lake and then go from there.

Posts: 409 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i got permit on the other side.Its a big area .I didnt know if there were goats on the hwy down towards Valdez or not.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ah, you got RG719. I'd suggest flying in or walking in to Tonsina Lake and hunt there. If I had your permit, that's where I would go.

Posts: 409 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get a good land status map for both the area around Klutina and Tonsina Lakes. I believe Ahtna has a bunch of land back there.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I have seen one goat from the highway on the way to Valdez. I have glassed those hills quite a few times.

From the other side I saw a couple of goats behind Matanuska glacier. (I was behind The glacier too, yes they were goats not sheep).

Don't be scared of land status. These places do get hunted. Big Grin

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have heard from alot of people about the goats on the way to Valdez.I also heard to go up the Klutinia river in a jet boat if the river is not too high.I want to try this hunt early but will the goats hair be really short then.I am probally going to use my 338-378 weatherby so I can shoot way on out.I usually use 250 gr Nolser Partition .I guess that will do the trick.It did on caribou .

one of us
posted Hide Post
So you can hunt behind the Glacier park there?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having been on the Klutina a few times, I will say that the river is pretty kick A$$. The further up the river, the rougher it is and you can really see it lose elevation. Not a river to make a mistake on.

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does any one know if that hunt below the Klutina river to above Valdez is a walk in only hunt.Its from Aug 10-sept 20 for goats.I think it might be .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It depends on what side of the road its on. If it is on the left heading to Valdez, I am sure that is walk in only (Tonsina Controlled Use Area). I believe the right side of the road heading to Valdez is open.

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen sheep back near the lake but never goats. I have hunted there since 1977. Does the permit cover the area on the road to McCarthy? If it does I would go there. I once shot a nice sheep on a one day walk in hunt and then watched a goat feeding below me as we packed out the sheep! But i never once even gave consideration to stopping for the goat permit before I started hunting.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The area I got picked for goes from the Klutinia river south to 26 miles north of valdez and is south of the Klutinia River and west of the Hwy.I am going to do a bunch of scouting and maybe some flying if I can find someone out of Gelallen or valdez.I dont know how early to hunt but I will try first week if its not too hot.Last year there were a pair of goats in gravel pit way far north Glenallen almost near Sourdough.The drought last year really messed them up.