THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Using Sawzall in field dressing moose?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Using Sawzall in field dressing moose?
 Login/Join

posted
I've never done this but apparently others do, in particular to cut down the backbone (I don't bone out ribs). What blade is the best one? And, how well does the sawzall work?

Posts: 24 | Location: Interior Alaska | Registered: 28 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
works super--fast--neat--wood cutting blade--cuts straight--

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ztreh: Thanks!

Posts: 24 | Location: Interior Alaska | Registered: 28 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try searching the forum for using the cordless Sawzall for moose in Sweden .There were some excellent photos and description.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't know about field dressing, but I thought this was a pretty innovative use. Assume they used the variable speed model. Big Grin

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/...sity-p_n_830423.html

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chainsaw works well also. Members of my last hunting group just carried a small Stihl. For bar lube they used vegetable oil. But it didnt seem to matter as the moisture in the meat and fat offered plently of lubrication.
Kind of messy though, lots of bone chips.

I just carry a Stanley crosscut saw with a blade about 15 inches long. Light, cheap, and easy to clean. Will cut through bone like it is butter.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6603 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like Snowwolfe I use a small bow saw for deer and hogs. We also use lopping shears for the legs. If it is quick and easy, I'm a fan. I would think that one would need a lot of help with a moose!

Posts: 1068 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We toyed with that idea for awhile then we started using the "gutless" method and haven't looked back! All you need is a small folding saw to cut the lower legs off and if you know where to cut you can use a knife. I'd never split any game down the backbone again.

In cooking school all our beef was split down the backbone and considering that that's how I learned to cut meat and am quite comfortable with it I still would never split one again. It's just extra work for nothing.

The other consideration is that the guy on the electric saw/chainsaw can do a shitload of damage to the best parts of the animal. I'd stay away form the idea.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used a sawzall for whitetaile, cause I wanted full racks with ribs in tact, I found the bone chips to me minimal with the right blade. A bi metal blade is the best, though they do now offer specific butcher quality blades for the sawzall.

Like Calgary, I too have worked on split animals in culinary school, It all depends on what type of cuts you want.

Simply, Elegant but always approachable

Posts: 354 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 24 May 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We've used a dedicated chainsaw for moose. With care, it works fine. It's been a couple of years but as I recall, we used salad oil as the lubricant. Haven't used a sawsall but I'd think it'd work fine. We do like dressing out using the "gutless" method. Easier & less messy.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
My cordless DeWalt sawzall with a wood blade has been used more on critters than for what it was intended....that thing is awesome!!! Will admit though that it's never touched a moose but it has zipped through plenty of elk, whitetail, aoudad, etc...

"....but to protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not of soundness of heart."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 466 | Location: Just west of Cleo, TX | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
Try searching the forum for using the cordless Sawzall for moose in Sweden .There were some excellent photos and description.

I searched under "sawzall", "sweden", "moose", and "butcher". Not sure what else to do to find this thread - any help?

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote