THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Re: Brown Bear "gets" Hunting Guide in S.E.

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Brown Bear "gets" Hunting Guide in S.E.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Quote:

I just don't like the god damn idea of sharing my space in the woods with large boar brown bears that have been shot in the nuts or the groin or wherever because of faulty and poor judgement decisions and actions by the guy with the license and responsibility, the Guide,or guides....
It could have killed him and got away, to be a real menace. Maybe that don't bother guys like you and Bear in Fairbanks. Guys like you and your posts on this and other forums have convinced that I'll start getting together a group and start demanding hearing to get answers why these guys are allowed to operate without qualified assistants to aid in wounded bear emergencies, and make life or death decisions like Newman said he did based on the timing of the next scheduled hunters arrival...
Tomorrow I'm going to the phones and press and every official in the Capital here and try to get some explanations or action. Some one asked why Newman would need a lawyer, well, he might not on this particular show, but I'll tell him right now that if I or any of my loved ones had to deal with a brownie wounded and maybe not recovered by his operation, he can count on me having a lawyer and sueing him for every damn thing sueable...
Oh, by the way, I was thinking about going down that way on a Brown Bear hunt here shortly. It's also my favorite deer hunting country...
Irresponsile guide decisions aren't the only ones we have to worry about here if it will make you feel any better. There was a fellow from Juneau, here, come back to town after a cruise on the NW side of Admiralty Island, telling of how he sseen a brownie on the beach, and went in and popped it a few times with the three rounds that was all the ammo he had left for his 06. Didn't follow it up because he was out of shells. Now there is one for you. Have a nice evening.

I believe this guy would make an excellent California resident. His type have congregated here enmasse. One more won't make any difference. He can come on down and thaw out, then pay the guide fee and assistant guide fee and transportation fee, shipping fee that prohibits many like myself from hunting BB. I'd be more than willing to switch places and take my chances hunting BB in an area where there may be a wounded one. I would assume that there's always that risk while hunting them, as he has implied. He would be more productive having the res hunter with three shots brought to justice.

What doesn't quite jibe with me is why should a guide be required to have a qualified assistant (The cost is prohibitive enough with just the guide fee.) yet he doesn't mention res hunters being required to have one too. Let me see if this sounds right; Nonres hunters are required to have a guide with an assistant guide (do we need a steno secretary to keep minutes too?) and res hunters are required to have a guide as their qualified assistant. Does that sound right? Sure, then look at the money flow. Why hell, just make it so expensive that only the very wealthy can hunt, the antis will just love that, a smaller group for them to attack.

I agree he might be better off staying home where it's safe, then again there's always California.
Bill

Posts: 134 | Location: So CA | Registered: 26 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
There are bear hunting "clients" and bear "hunters". Hunters are supposed to be semi-competent at what they do. They also accept the fact that hunting is hunting and nothin is a sure thing. They can also shoot competently. Clients just tag along and pull the trigger when told. (Unfortunately some pull the trigger even if told not to)
As guide we take all sorts and are responsible for them all. If you havn't done it don't critisize those who do.
I've faced a number of charging wounded brown bears and also have a bullet hole in the back of my thigh. Bears usually take awhile to maul you but a bullet is instantanious. Usually when a hunter botches a set up simple shot at an unwounded bear they are certainly not to be trusted behind you with a loaded rifle. < !--color--> < !--color-->

Posts: 4206 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been following along and remained silent till now.I am a client not an outfitter/guide. I have killed a 9'5" BB with a 3 pc Bear takedown 70# bow and arrow with one shot thru the lungs and a <100 yds recovery.
I resent the fact that anyone being paid $10K or more to place me within 30 yds of a BB, then sit tight while I crawled the final 10 yards to raise up and stick an arrow thru it's side refers to me in a term"....just tagging along.... there to pull the trigger..."
The fact is the guide is expected to act the professional ALL THE TIME, and the Client is expected to PERFORM FLAWLESSLY when it's his turn.
Therein belies the current problem with the guiding industry in AK. The majority ( and I've been on no less than 23 outfitted hunts to AK) of guide/outfitters are partimers trying to desperately to keep their families fed and mortage paid. When the season is over they go back to their timber jobs,truck hauling,etc. lives. Have an ego the size of AK itself and have forgotten or never learned the basis of a quality outfitting buisness.
Surely I feel for the guide that was mauled and his family. What human would not? But to ALL outfitters an guides did you forget your client runs risks in his line of employment every day as well? Does an iron worker not risk a fall so a corporate exec. can have a new office? Or a Bearing Sea crabber not risk a lung full of salt water so you can eat fresh caught King Crab? I'm willing to bet the guide that did get mauled would be the first to agree with this. BB

one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Ballbuster,

I think you misunderstand 458WM's post. He refers to two different types of people who book brown bear hunts. 'Clients' who tag along and pull the trigger, and 'hunters' who are usually competent and know what to do at the right time. I get the impression, given your number of hunts, that you would fall in the 'hunter' category.

Maybe whining a bit, but still a 'hunter.'

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

...Poor judgement is not competence....Being dead before your time or crippled up is not what I would call real success.

Poor judgement is human. You're human, aren't you? You've never made a poor judgement call?

"Before your time"? Who chooses the time? You?

Posts: 130 | Location: Palmer, AK | Registered: 10 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Had this guide been killed and the bear got away, it could have been a public menace for years to come.

Maybe, but I doubt it. I'm pretty good with Alaska history. I know of no man-killing bears that lived long afterwards. Can you cite such an occurrance?

Posts: 130 | Location: Palmer, AK | Registered: 10 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I think you would be hard pressed to convince anyone that the guide wasn't responsible for "Making this Mess" at an official hearing, which I assume they will have, or should have.

Oh, here's some true wisdom. Let's have a "hearing". That's like a "meeting", isn't it? That'll fix everything.

"Responsible". Well, seems to me the guide "responded". The client is safe, the bear is dead, and only the godlike are still upset.

Yes, indeed, we need a "hearing".

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The guy with the license is exactly 100% responsible, and he is the one who has his ticket at stake at the inquiry or hearings when things go wrong. That's the way it should be. Otherwise we wouldn't need the licensed guides, and the non-resident pilgrim hunters wouldn't have to pony up the kind of money they do to hunt here. And let's hope that they do have a real in depth inquiry, for real, for the public safety aspect of this case. Maybe, because of people like you making excuses and disembling and laying down smokescreens, some of us citizens who live and hunt in this area should get together and demand it. There are just too many people using this area for their recreation these days, and too many brown bear guides that act like they think their ticket gives them rights over every one else to the use of the area. It would appear that your friend has a nice little family operation and that's all fine, one can keep all the money in the family. But the dough he saved by not hiring a good assistant, may have been false economy. With the lost time and injuries figured in, an extra set of eyes and ears and a heavy rifle, could have been money well spent. and it could have saved the hunting community and guide business a real big black eye. Show me where I'm wrong on that logic.

Wow.

Well, maybe you're right. And since one person can't logically be 100% responsible for the actions of another, it's time to do away with the guide requirements for non-resident hunters.

Are you ready for that?

And I'm not "making excuses" for anybody. I'm just impressed that the man told the media from a hospital bed that he made mistakes. I wonder if I'll ever read "walex" making such statements in the newspaper.

And as for wounded bears in your wonderland, there are plenty of bears out there wounded by resident non-guided hunters. In fact, more bears (statistically) are wounded by non-guided hunters than by guided hunters.

It's a dangerous world out there. Maybe you should stay home where it's safe.

Maybe a meeting or hearing will fix it all.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Guys like you and your posts on this and other forums have convinced that I'll start getting together a group and start demanding hearing to get answers why these guys are allowed to operate without qualified assistants to aid in wounded bear emergencies, and make life or death decisions like Newman said he did based on the timing of the next scheduled hunters arrival. This is my last post on this silly assed forum on the matter. Tomorrow I'm going to the phones and press and every official in the Capital here and try to get some explanations or action.

Go get 'em, tiger. That's what we need; more government.

Boy, you're a really smart guy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

He's not making any excuses himself, although many on these forums are making up plenty, not so much as to defend him, but more for the purpose of ripping others which is their agenda on these forums, or sport, whatever.

Of course, you're not "ripping" anybody, are you?

And, despite your repeated calls for a "hearing", you don't have an agenda, do you?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, folks, Mr. Walex just gave me too much to chew on. I couldn't help myself.

I'll go to bed now.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a huge difference in "whining a bit" and speaking the truth.
I live in NE Pa. and for many years commuted to The Big Apple each day in my employment, where I was expected to sort thru the "whiners" and the truth speakers. In short order one in my line learns to spot the differences REAL quick!

Huntersnorth hit on a topic that I was recently approach about.... A statehood (such as AK ) mandateing a lisc. proff. guide to accompany an non resident US Citizen; hunter in the pursuit of certain species of wild game on territory owned and controlled by the USA Gov. ( of which AK is a sect of). This is an unconstitutional law that though challenged in the past would be hard pressed to be upheld in today's judical system.
In actuality the citizen remains a citizen regardless whether they are hiking,biking,hunting,etc.. In practice the hunter is at no greater risk hunting than a unguided birdwatcher is should he stumble onto a mad boar BB or sow with cubs.
Why do I raise this? Mainly because it is time for the owner/outfitter or partime guide/outfitter in some states to wake up an smell the coffee. This is not 1950 or 60 or even the 70's We are well into the 2000s, times HAVE changed!
In closing I will go on record as saying there are many fine reputable outfitters thruout the entire USA, and to them I say THANK YOU! BB

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Maybe, but I doubt it. I'm pretty good with Alaska history. I know of no man-killing bears that lived long afterwards. Can you cite such an occurrance?

Yes ..... "Old Groaner" .... early '30's Unuk River SE Alaska.

Posts: 27 | Location: ketchikan | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Yes ..... "Old Groaner" .... early '30's Unuk River SE Alaska.

Yup, and Old Groaner is the only such long lived man-eating bear in Alaska that I know of.

And certainly a strange bear he was. He was nearly bald when finally killed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Huntersnorth hit on a topic that I was recently approach about.... A statehood (such as AK ) mandateing a lisc. proff. guide to accompany an non resident US Citizen; hunter in the pursuit of certain species of wild game on territory owned and controlled by the USA Gov. ( of which AK is a sect of). This is an unconstitutional law that though challenged in the past would be hard pressed to be upheld in today's judical system.

I agree, but no longer hold any inkling that it will change soon or even legislatively. The recent death of SB 297 (a bill allowing controlled marketing of bear parts as well as relaxing the guide requirements for brown bears in intensive predator control GMUs) taught me a good lesson. The guiding industry is still incredibly powerful when it comes to state government. Money still overpowers reason.

I suspect that the only way the guide requirement will be done away with is through the courts.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I spend about 4-6 months a year in Ak now a days. Was a time when I spent 10-12 months a year there. I'd rather have a sport from most of the lower 48 hunting with me than most of the residents I met there,especially the natives. Most every hunter that traveled to Ak from down here spent a nice chunk of change to get there. Not to mention tags, etc., and as a whole they are pretty serious about their sport, didn't road hunt on the edge of town,shoot from a boat at swimming game,harrass wildlife from a plane, shoot herds of walrus with AK47s, shoot waterfowl in the spring, kill pregnat cow moose...and my list could go on and on.
Basicaly the largest % of slob hunters in AK live in AK.
Was a time the outfitters as a rule were honest hard working professionals. Today as a rule they are not.Too many are after a quick buck then get out. BUT!! there are some honest ones still around.
I hunted in AK back when the upper Keani valley was truely wild, not the Eddie Bauer clad hiking paths it is today. Outfitters were honest and backed their hunters whom were more likely than not armed with a 30-06 an 220 gr RN, with a 30-40 Krag. They were the same Brownies then that they are today,weren't they????....maybe the guides just do not have the nerve like then....

one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Ballbuster,

I stand by my original statement, especially as this thread goes on...

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
DELETED!

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
Quote:

... this is probably his first short stroke....

Where was it mentioned that he short-stroked the bolt? I must have missed it.

Thanks.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Russ,

While not mentioned in the article above, in another interview the guide himself stated that he short-stroked his Sako rifle. I really respect the guys honesty!

I wonder how he's doing? Maybe he'll be ready for them Fall season?

one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
Okay, gotcha Brian, thank you. Yeah... I can see where that kinda-sorta contributed to things. Ca-ca happens, though. Yup, I admire brutal honesty like that. I hope the guy is mending okay and that his business doesn't suffer too much without him being directly involved.

Thanks for the additional information, Brian.

Take care.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry for getting into this at such a late date but
Thing's some time's just go wrong .
Even those of us that have hunted 10 or more can tell you ever time out is diffrent ...

Even the best some time's wind up getting bit....
I hate to use these word's but some time's shit happen's
beyond our control.. All i can say is that the guild was a
was one lucky bugger .
He will be reliving that for the rest of his life....

( Where did i go wrong )? God speed on his recovery...

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote