Find
Notify
Tools

All about timing.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted
This picture was taken roughly 16 hours after the end of moose season.

This picture was taken of a bull in the water because I was a little late or a little early in folding him. There was dry ground on either side of the puddle he landed in.

We passed on this bull.

Caught some fish,

Saw some bears, but nothing we needed to pursue.

Joe had a great time and I think will be back next June.

Posts: 9474 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
congratulations- you have proved 2 truths. 1st that the big one always come just after you're done, 2nd - it is necessary to have to gut a moose in 2' of cold water

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
Thank you for posting Scott, I always like to here your moose reports. We will be chasing caribou again out of Kotzebue next week.

What are the measurements of all these bulls, just for a little education.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2013 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Huffaker:
Thank you for posting Scott, I always like to here your moose reports. We will be chasing caribou again out of Kotzebue next week.

What are the measurements of all these bulls, just for a little education.

Weather's cleaned up quite a bit around here and I'm sure theres some big bulls wandering 'round un molested by humans.

My bull is 56". If you look at the rack you'll notice he's got nothing sticking out wide past the palms and the palms themselves aren't wide or tall. This bull just makes the basic minimums but other than nice brow tines does nothing special.

The big bull in the first picture I don't think is bigger than 62 or 65" at the largest. Great brow tines out front and good palms in his case but as with my bull, nothing out and beyond the palms to make more reach. I think hes a great bull but nothing really unusual.

The bull turned sideways to us is no larger than low 50's and possibly high 40's. He's dangerous to see since he's a big bodied bull but for tag bearers that are requiring a 50" or better I think you'd be wise to pass. If I remember right he didn't meet brow tine requirements.

Hard to think of worse conditions to hunt in this year. Blowing and raining Noah style and with the water way up the bulls had the freedom of staying off the river and loafing back in the beaver ponds. I did quite a bit of walking back off the rivers edge and man are the beaver kicking ass! Dams and lodges going up everywhere and in most cases quite a bit of refinement is affordable to them in this lush beaver economy. Theres some marble in a few of their kitchens and I saw no less than three very expensive home entertainment systems being installed ahead of the long winter.

I'm wondering if the harsh winter didn't depress antler growth due to poor forage. Bodies looked good and some of the moose I saw resembled sausages with toothpicks for legs. Heres to a happy rut for them!

Posts: 9474 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great pics Scott, sounded like you weathered the bad weather well. As you know time wise my partner and I were able to hit the good weather window and had a bull down first day of the hunt after I had climbed a few trees in the slue locating him. BIG BODY bull, boned meat weighed 455 lbs without meat on ribs (village dog grabbed it off the meat pole), respectable rack, it was 55 1/4 inches.

Maybe someone can help me post some pics, PM me if you can help. Thanks

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Looks like you had a good hunt Scott. Nice moose.

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote