New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anchorage restaurant
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'll be in ANC, with my daughter, this Friday and Saturday. What's the best place for seafood, particularly king crab? We're headed to the Aleutians for caribou/reindeer.

Posts: 120 | Location: South Florida | Registered: 08 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
Simon and Seaforts is the top place, its pricey but worth it. It also has a spectacular view of the inlet, you'll most likely need a reservation, not to be out done... glacier brew house also has king crab and a great Alaskan atmosphere just down the block from Simon and seaforts on 5th Ave. enjoy !!!!

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
Two other options, The Bridge, which is actually over Ship Creek, and Club Paris, which is downtown.

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We like Humpies, 610 W. 6th. Ave. Food is good, prices moderate. A pound of king crab runs $35.00-$45.00. It's an ale house. Kind of a sports bar atmosphere, although IMHO is a decent place to take the family.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions. Will try some for lunch and others for dinner.

Posts: 120 | Location: South Florida | Registered: 08 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The top end in my book is Marx Brothers on 3d near F. Basically out the backdoor of the Hilton. Also south of Anchorage, along the coast road in Girdwood is the Double Musky. Jen's at Artic and 36th is superb. F Street Station has great fried Halibut and beer. Good burgers at the Artic Road Runner and the best fried chicken at the Lucky Wishbone. All of the others mentioned are good. Make sure you visit the Museum, really worthwhile.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swampshooter:
We like Humpies, 610 W. 6th. Ave. Food is good, prices moderate. A pound of king crab runs $35.00-$45.00. It's an ale house. Kind of a sports bar atmosphere, although IMHO is a decent place to take the family.

They do have a LARGE excellent beer selection.

Posts: 1743 | Registered: 25 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
My best place for halibut sandwich, fish and chips, salmon, etc, is the F Street. Lots of good local beer on tap (the Kassiks Wheat is recommended). A local hangout for pilots, locals, and the odd tourist.

Small and not an offense to the ears like Humpy's can be.

Glacier Brew House has great beer, but I find the menu to be slim and expensive.

Did I say F STREET? Free cheese and candy. Nice eye candy as well.

Dave

Posts: 921 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
one is in down town with the view of sea,its a beautiful view of sea and history of earthquake parted the land, and king crabs are fantastic there,wish i remembered the name of the resturant.

ur 3 greatest hunts r, ur 1st,ur last,and ur next!!!!

Posts: 254 | Registered: 19 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never been to Humpy's after 5:00, but for lunch the crowd is not loud or rowdy.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
There aren't any truly great seafood restaurants in Anchorage.

Simon's has great views, but my wife gets sick everything she eats there so I'd say eat at your own risk.

Orso's has always done us well with food, Brewhouse is good but like Humpies it can be nearly impossible to hold a conversation due to the noise but both have fine food. Haute Quarter Grill moved to Anchorage, haven't tried it since they moved but it's a good restaurant. Another vote for Jen's, it's quaint and the food is superb.

Since you mentioned seafood, I can't not mention I-luv sushi on Lake Otis and Abbot, it's a small place but IMHO best sushi in town, Dish on International is more of an Asian fusion restaurant, but also worth visiting for lunch or dinner.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
2nd Humpies. Save yourself some money and buy King Crab when your home it'll be cheaper.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have eaten at Simons a few times it was very good.

Also the resturant at the hotel I stayed in a few times, has very good food in their resturant and very good food in their bar.

They have changed the name of it, but it is located on the lake where the float planes land.

They have a brown bear and a polar bear mounted under glass, as well as other mounts on the wall, including a big halibut.

Surely an ANK local knows the new name of it...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Millenium

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1410 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Anchorage fish places kind of suck, and they are retarded expensive.

The only restaurant in Anchorage I have eaten in that wasn't a chain or fast food and was repeatably good was outside the gate of JBER across from Lowes and Target. Next to Olive Garden. Can't remember what it was called, but it was great.

There is a Mexican outfit across from Bass Pro that is also good for Alaska.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have found that you cannot compare prices of meals in Alaska to almost any place in the lower 48.
I have eaten at some great places in Anchorage, White Spot, F Street Station Humpys and Glacier Brewhouse plus more.
The average price for a Halibut sandwich $18.00.
My favorite for a sandwich is F Street Station and dinner is Glacier Brewhouse.
Try them you will like it. Stay away from the national chains you can get that food anywhere.
Just my 2 cents.
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hughiam
posted Hide Post
I live just north of Anchorage and have been to most of the place you mentioned. We usually go to Humpys if we go downtown. Outside of that, we go to Texas Road House, most of the other options are too pricey. If you get up to the Valley, The Trout House is very good low key place

Pro Staff for:
In Natures Image Taxidermy

Posts: 448 | Location: Palmer, AK | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote