New
Find
Notify
Tools

Iron sights on a .375 HH?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am planing on having a SS model 70 built in .375 HH. I was thinking it would be a good idea to have iron sights with a quick detachable scope mount. Has anyone done this? Is it a good idea or not?

Posts: 172 | Location: Lockport Illinois | Registered: 16 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it is. I wouldnt build a DG rifle without open sights on it..

Posts: 873 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EDMHUNTER:
Has anyone done this? Is it a good idea or not?

Yes & Yes!! Good luck on your project!!

Posts: 2351 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good idea! I have one just like yours set up with Talley quick detachable mounts and a Leupold 1.75X6 scope. Works great for up close work in heavy cover as well as the longer shots the .375 is capable of.

Posts: 152 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wouldn't have a DGR otherwise

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buffalo:
I think it is. I wouldnt build a DG rifle without open sights on it..

+1

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also agree that a set of open sites is a good idea. In fact, I prefer that all of my hunting rifles have open sights as a back up if for no other reason than if something should happen to your scope. Our hunting trips are extended and we are in the bush for relatively long periods of time. I look at open sights as a backup item. I wish that more manufacturers would still include them on their products.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
I have one 375 with open sights and one without.

When I hunt with the rifle with no iron sights I always take a backup scope. I have never needed the backup scope but always take it.

When I hunt with the rifle that has open sights I do not take a backup scope. It saves space in luggage and since the scope on the rifle is QR the irons are always ready on the rifle - not back in camp.

Finally if the time comes to go in the thick brush the irons are better.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
On my rifles I have something like 9 sets of claw mounts, 2 sets of qd tallys, 1G&H side mount,a set of bock swing mounts,a couple EAW swing mounts and a few others thrown in.
I have a philosofy that you don't cut corners on scope mounts or optics because they can be the most important part of your rifle and the most likely to fail. When they do fail iron sights can save your hunt.

I find that often Here in AK where conditions can be harsh I will carry my rifle with scope off. I have a long pocket on the side of my pack that the scope fits in and is easely reachable.

as far as my .375 on one I have a 1.5-4.5x Swarovski in claw mounts and three leaf express sights. on the other I have a 1-4x leupold in qd tally and one standing express.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
. My 375 Ruger Alaskan of course has factory express sights , and I have a scope on it . My 9.3x64 has steel Weaver bases drilled and the reciever tapped for the 8x40 screws and I have the high quad Weaver rings for it , and NECG express 1 standing 1 folding rear sight on the island with the master piece fire sight bead ,banded front ........ As long as the mount comes back to zero and is rugged .detachables are great ....
. But you want to make sure the comb isn,t too high. Make the iron sights easy to use . And make sure they are far enough foward that your eye will be able to see it well , even in the future ......... Make sure the rifle ,FITS YOU !!!!.

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
My M70 375H&H has the factory open sights along with a Leupold scope on it, should the scope go south then I have the option of using the open sights. On the other hand my other rifles, less the XLR, do not have open sights on them, only scopes.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go with a red-dot scope. Its like shooting a scope with open sights.

Aimpoint on a CZ 375

Posts: 396 | Location: CA | Registered: 23 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
What's the eye relief on the Aimpoint? I might want one as an option on my 500 Jeffrey.

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4730 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put some QD mounts on mine and it shot great.. never got to hunt with it though.

"Sometimes nothing can be a pretty cool hand."

470 Heym; 9.3x74r Chapuis, Heym 450/400 on it's way

Posts: 653 | Location: austin, texas | Registered: 23 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chuck:-You can place the Aimpoint wherever you want to. Thats one of the great things about them!

Posts: 168 | Location: North of the Arctic circle,in Sweden | Registered: 15 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great idea, I don't know who is making ss sights I've always used NECG to get my sights I'm sure most gunsmiths will know.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
why not, if the rear sight is far enuf forward and modern guns are usually set up this way, it wont interfere with scope mounting. then have 8x40 holes tapped and use weaver bases an rings, they are best ive found. you can get all this from brownells

If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tuff.

Posts: 393 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 01 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are looking at a good set of iron sights for your custom rifle go with the NECG sights they are very nice and hold up well.

Posts: 51 | Location: Fort Richardson, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I have Talley QD mounts on mine with the Talley peep. Had to fit a higher front base to accomodate the Talley peep being higher than the factory rear sight but this setup works great.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I built a commercial mauser action with negc iron sights and a german swing off scope mount its so fun to shoot with the iron sights I haven't shot it with the scope. BOOM

posted Hide Post
I have factory irons on my 700 Classic in 338 Win Mag, plus a Leupold VariX 3 - 1.5x5 on top, with convential Leupy mounts.
My son just bought a new 700 7 Mag with a VX3 4.5x16 B&C on it with leupy quick detach mounts. Took the scope off a few times and after replacing it kept it's zero. Looks slick, so I might start replacing some of my standards with quick detachs, and have a spare scope already sighted in.
I did have a problem elk hunting in Colo several years ago when an older style Uncle so and so Quick detach sling swivel detached while climbing up a box canyon and the rifle landed on my 3.5x10 scope. I had a spare 2x7 but it was not sighted in. Didn't matter, went elkless that year.
Bear2

?

Posts: 6 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: 15 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was thinking it would be a good idea to have iron sights with a quick detachable scope mount. Has anyone done this? Is it a good idea or not?

yes and yes.

quite sensible in all respect,,,lousy weather for one will dampen you're pic and irons are a good backup. I get myself built up with confidence by shooting on/off and checking for zero often. My Talleys have been reliable...I stick to one load.
Here in Ak. the rain or snow will cause poor vision and the best cure is to stuff the scope inside your jacket and be ready with the irons.

I've enough Leupolds variables give in for one reason or the other so I am giving a try on a M8 3X on my 9.3x64 this fall here in the Brooks. No irons on this one though.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote