Find
Notify
Tools

December in Dillingham
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted
Kendall, (pictured below,) is well known around Dillingham for being a faithfull friend and employee. So faithfull in fact that while working for his long time friend and employer this fall, (not me,) he didn't get a chance to get out moose hunting. As a father of two and hubby of one, Kendall ofcourse felt the need to fill the freezer, and so he and I went out yesterday morning in hopes of being able to fill his tag for our unit 17 winter hunt.

We left his house near 10:00am, having been delayed by the usual for us miss steps including but not limited to too much sack time, gear not prepared the night before, gas and oil not purchased, decision not made on the direction to travel,...... you get the idea. By way of blundering we headed roughly north toward Snake Lake and mtn, a common hangout for bull moose in December and a newly opened hunting area for the winter hunt.

Less than 10 miles from the house, and just more than an hour after leaving, we bumped into a group of three moose that contained this bull.

Kendall made a fine shot at about 225 yards with his .300 win mag and the bull tipped in with a single bullet thru the lungs.

We spent the next couple of hours taking pictures, butchering moose and marveling at our good fortune in the game and weather. As you can see from the pictures it was a blue sky day temps were mild and the wind was absolutely still! Temps were in the twenties so it was an absolute pleasure to be outside.

With the moose cut and loaded in the sleds we paused for some more pictures,

and headed for home. The three of us arrived back at the house at 3:00pm. Unbelievable.

For us this certainly had to be the easiest moose hunt we have experienced.

Here's a picture of the bull and the moose head on. Yeah, kinda goofy rack. I've got the head in the sled out at my shop, I'll go see if I can take some reasonable for public viewing tomorrow.

Posts: 9141 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Very cool Scott

Kudo's on getting out this time of the year your efforts were well rewarded.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
interesting brow tines

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not a much easier moose hunt then that. Looks like it was fun.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrayDuck
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. I would guess it's pretty hard for you guys to beat twenty degrees and sunshine in Dec.

"The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry" - Robert Burns

Posts: 226 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
I,m very glad for you 2 .. It sounds perfect ! cool looking rack also ...... . Got lucky with the little 300 huh ( ONLY JOKING ,,ONLY JOKING ) wave

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The grass always seem greener when you hear of an adventure or in your case another day at the office, like you guys just accomplished. Pics were great and prep for the trip or lack of just adds spice to the story. beer

Posts: 8274 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well done.

Show us some more pictures of the horns.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Perfect!! thumb

Posts: 2352 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Great photo's and good work. It sure is nice to pull along side of a moose with a snowmachine and be able to keep the meat clean. Over here the season opens on the 15th we'll hopefully do as well as you fellows did.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gumboot458:
I,m very glad for you 2 .. It sounds perfect ! cool looking rack also ...... . Got lucky with the little 300 huh ( ONLY JOKING ,,ONLY JOKING ) wave

Not to worry, since I didn't have a tag I brought along my .375 H&H. hilbily

Posts: 9141 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Way to go men! Its got to be a good feeling to put meat in the freezer. Did you do anything to age the meat?

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Its hanging as I write this.

Today in Dillingham it was a high of 15 degrees or so. Most places inside it's a high of the low 70's or so. That means your game meat is either frozen or rotting.

Fortunately Kendall has access to a detatched garage that he is able to cool appropriately for the moose legs. I suspect he'll wait as long as possible to process, and therefore age as long as possible.

I didn't take any of the meat since I filled my tag in September. If that were not the case ofcourse we'd have shared equally, just like we did last year or any other time.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Show us some more pictures of those cool looking horns... Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Good work Sirs!!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's all about being in the right place at the right time.

Well done fellers!

"Shoot hard, boys."

Posts: 115 | Location: Duluth, MN | Registered: 17 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe you will post some photo's when you start processing that moose. Looks like you all have a great day.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote