Find
Notify
Tools

Packing out your animals. Alaska
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted
What's the rules when hunting mountain goats and black bear, up there in Prince William Sound.
Do you pack out the whole animal or just the usable meat, boned out?
If you're from overseas and can't take meat out of the country, what is the usual process with it?
What is Mountain Goat like to chew on?

...."At some point in every man's life he should own a Sako rifle and a John Deere tractor....it just doesn't get any better...."

Posts: 630 | Location: Hawera, Taranaki, New Zealand | Registered: 17 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd say that your first peek ought to be at teh Alaska game regulations on this page :AK Game Regs

In short, you must pack out all the usable meat, and the regs spell out just what the law thinks that is. If you don't want the meat (or can't take it back with you) the Fish and Game folks, you'll be visiting them after the hunt to seal the kill) will tell you whom it is that takes meat donations.

As far as the eating qualities of mountain goat, don't let the name fool you - it is excellent eats!

All skill is in vain when a demon pisses on your gunpowder.

Posts: 262 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
I've shot a bunch of goats. The old billies are tougher than a boot. The taste is excellent.
Bone it out, being careful to salvage ALL the edible meat.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post
How many pounds of meat can you bone off a Billy.

...."At some point in every man's life he should own a Sako rifle and a John Deere tractor....it just doesn't get any better...."

Posts: 630 | Location: Hawera, Taranaki, New Zealand | Registered: 17 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would say about 50 or 60 lbs on a smaller Billy or a Nanny or a shot up Goat. You don't have to bring out the bloodshot or bullit ruined meat. And sometimes Goats are shot a few times.

Up to over 100 even as much as 125 lbs on a big mature Billy. Sometimes, here in S SE, we have over 300 lb live weight Bills.

A full cape from one of those big Billies is about an overload by itself.

one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post
Looks like more than a couple of hikes up the mountain huh!!! No worries.

one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Yep, I agree with johnnie.
I've packed more than a few goats off the mountain. I've always made it in one pack. My back is now permanently screwed up. One time I tried to pack a big Billy up a rock slide, meat, hide and horns, couldn't do it. Had to make two trips. That was back when I was young and dumb.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
about 6yrs ago I spent 2 days climbing and 1 day packing out - deboned. State REGS requirement. A hunt I will cherish, fascinating country down there(Prince W.)could not carry a rifle as I was not the permit holder so my Ruger 44mag was my companion. Brotherinlaw made the kill in record time thanks to my insistent prodding to utilize the temporary weather conditions. Lots of fog in and out. Guide/Pilot mentioned this being an "unguided" hunt was the fastest he seen it done. Credit it that to my lifestyle. Like a jungle down there. Hey enough of my story - You will have a wonderful time -shoot straight and hit em hard!

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote