THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Anyone Killed anything this fall yet ??

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Killed anything this fall yet ??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted
......All I,ve killed so far is small rocks ., I don,t get hardley any computer time so a good story would be nice.,.,pictures would be extra good ., ???

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm heading up on Sept 8th for caribou and moose. My buddy who lives there I believe is hunting goats now.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got one late this afternoon!

Was a lone and very large Anopheles Freeborni

Got him with the 2-Bore at close range. Was a pretty clean shot - no real mess. Guess they aren't that tough.

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Yes Macifej those malarial Mosquitoes aren't as tough as their reputation.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just killin' time!

Joe

Where there's a hobble, there's hope.

Posts: 369 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 04 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
me? nope, working too much - my neighbor killed a nice caribou somewhere near Chicken last week.

Other than that, I dunno?

Hear and forget. See and remember. Do and understand.

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I am going to be taking a couple of my uncles out the last two weeks in Sept. I will try some moose calling for the moose hunting till it closes the 20th then we will look for some black bears the last week of sept.

So far all I have seen is one cow moose.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
have me a couple of "sweet" spots and have took note of 2 50" plus bulls in one area. that 225 NF @ 2500fps is going to be the "bell ringer" soon.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
...........My 9.3x64 won.t be ready by this weekend but it is comeing along quite nicely ... It is so great to have finally found an Alaskan gunsmith who knows more about how to do what I want and then does it in a day or 2 not months .... And I haven,t stumped him yet ... He is even a Wildcatter ... I,m not going to advertise him until he has built everything I want.. He is that good..The only thing he has baulked on so far is a full length rib and sights machined into the barrel steel ..Starting from a 1.5 " blank ....He said ya he could do it but he wouldn,t do it......Hopefully I can do some Bou hunting later this year....There has been a cyote in the field where I stay the past few nights but my land lady enjoys watching it kill mice....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just halibut (got a 130 pounder this week) and some nice silvers but I have been gone all summer. Hope to catch a nice black bear but have serious doubts about moose as I don't have time for a nice get away.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I,m not going to advertise him until he has built everything I want.. He is that good.

aw cmon! spill the beans!

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Foothills of the Brooks...there are only so many places that can be for a residence. I used to live in Ft. Yukon which was just south of the Brooks and ANWR.

Here is a photo of the fish from this week.

Here is a little something from June...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Me and ocean waves don't get the same feelings so I figure waiting for my lil' sis to send me some-a good meal. You know I have killed grizz and eat the ribs and save the fat but an elephant? Sure don't look like a good meal to me. Now I have heard hippos taste good. I would like to go to the Dark Continent and take a big little tusker,big mean and nasty-some kind of pig, that for me would be a good thing. Don't know if they exist but in a dream for me.

Hey! glad you're trip was a success! Doubt I will ever make the trip. I have got moose tenderloins, lots of onions and beans soon to eat with a can of fruit as dessert and a couple of cups of fresh ground french roast-I will let you know how it goes.
What a time of the year!

best regards,

one of us
posted Hide Post
We ate the ele backstrap (well a piece of it anyway) and the rest went to the Lake Kariba croc farm to feed the workers and the crocs. It's hard to describe the taste of ele but I thought it was good.

Keep in mind that the meat is pretty coarse and so you can't really eat a steak or roast like you normally would.

We had the backstrap cut into strips and fried. I thought it was pretty good. Charles Helm...what did you think about it? I didn't get to try anything from your ele.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tastes like chicken I mean Brontosaurus.

Would one use Mesquite or Hickory BBQ sauce for that backstrap? How many bags of Kingsford does it take to grill Dumbo?

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
.....Yukon D ., What did you shoot your Elephant with .. Nice pic .. And a nice bunch of fish .......

one of us
posted Hide Post
It was a .50 Alaskan levergun. The hunt report is in the Africa reports here.

One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
quote:
We ate the ele backstrap (well a piece of it anyway)

Elephant is very good. Especially if you're eating a younger cow and not a 50 year old bull. We ate a bunch of the young (20 year old) cow my ph and I had to shoot at 11 paces to stop a charge last June. Most of it went to the villagers, but by some mystery, many of the good cuts found their way to our camp.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Charles Helm...what did you think about it? I didn't get to try anything from your ele.

I enjoyed it both times I had it and would eat it again any time. Of course, I suspect care in selection of the cuts and preparation are critical in getting something tender.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Charles, are you counting mine as one of the two times you ate it or did you have both of yours as well? Was the other time prepared the same as mine...those steak fingers? I liked it but Myles kind of acted like it wasn't good.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yukon delta:
Charles, are you counting mine as one of the two times you ate it or did you have both of yours as well? Was the other time prepared the same as mine...those steak fingers? I liked it but Myles kind of acted like it wasn't good.

Yes, yours was one of the two times. It was done a bit differently when I had it the first time -- grilled crispy on the outside if I remember correctly.

I imagine Myles has had all the elephant he ever wants by now and it shows up on the menu because the clients want to try it.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would certainly like to try it again. I'm sure it's not like eland or some other plains game but it was good. I was sorry to see it run out that quick around the fire that night. We should have taken more.

It's kind of like mountain sheep...after working that hard for it, it has to taste good.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
gumboot,

I was able to take a 57" bull using my Rem. 30 .338-06 carbine-20"bbl. Right about 10pm, first shot thru the shoulders or so I thought, he jumped an took off like I stung him instead. So the only shot left was between the front shoulder and the ham and he was heading darn near away from me at 1 oclock. I did not take my time on the second shot, it was like an immediate follow up-pretty quick. Down he goes.

Skinning him out, the first shot was perfect but at that time I did not think so perhaps willows deflected the shot, went thru the shoulder and out the rib. The second shot unfortunately for my pride in being a perfect shot went into "that" ham. Busted the ball joint and stopped. That is the shot that dropped him obviously.

Retreived the bullet. That NorthFork was torn up a bit and after cleaning the bullet I weighed it an it was 189 grains down 36 grains-not bad. My first use of a NorthFork, wonder how my Swift AF would have done?mmmmh.

The best part of this caliber and muzzle velocity at 2501fps avg. was you can eat right up to the wound channel! The ball joint even though fragmented was free of hemmoraging! Just pick the bones out and consider the meat quite eatable. I did cut about 1/2" of meat close to the wound channel off but no damage to speak off. Remarkable and I am pleased being a meat hunter.

I have 2 of these calibers made up and load tested but never used them on anything but targets. All the claim of them being a "meat gun" is pretty darn true.

I had no camera at the time of kill, did not need the additional weight as I poked around the previously scouted area.

If I can get my wifes camera back soon I will see what I can do to post a pic of the bullet.

A good clean kill.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I flew out for a 11 day hunt. North of Tok,65 airmiles, I shot a beautiful grizzly and a large boo. I also shot a wolf but he got into the thickets, I just did not hit him good enough. I spent that afternoon and the next morning looking for him,no luck. Seen no moose and no rams,but had one great time!

Posts: 560 | Location: Michigan, US | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If anyone needs photos posted PM me and I will get it done for you.

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
........I finally managed to kill something on purpose and sadly something be accident .. 1 , 30 lb coyote with the 416 Rem .@ 30 yrds on the lawn .. and a cow moose with my Dodge Dakota pickup .. I got slowed down to about 20 before I hit her in the right rear leg .. The Trooper euthanized her and a charity got the all of the meat ..Did around 2500 $ damage to the truck . Didn,t even deploy the air bag ..I,m real bummed about it more for the moose than the truck .. This time of year the moose are moveing around alot up here so be extra careful if your driveing the Glenn Hwy ... The willows grow right up to the bank or ditch in alot of places...... I did get to call in a nice bull ... He was moveing around to get the wind on me when a squirrel gave him away .. I got to within 25 yrds of him but couldn,t make him out in the Sitka alders ...then th breeze hit the back of my neck and ZOOM he was GONE.. man did he tear out of there... The area I was in is a good area for moose but is hard to hunt because the wind swirls around and there isn,t much chance to glass... It was alot of fun tho ...I,m pretty new to Moose calling and the Cows arn,t much in heat yet but he was comeing in to my grunting ...Hopefully I can get a caribou later on ...69deer on thumb Thanks for wackin some predators ....

one of us
posted Hide Post
I put a fun stalk on a medium/small black bear this evening. I was rabbit/grouse hunting with the 10/22 and saw this black bear 3-4 hundred yards off the RR tracks I was walking down. It was getting too late to go back to the truck for the 325 WSM so I just decided to make do with the 4" 629 44 mag. I was pretty confident if I could get within 30 yards or so I could make a good shot easy enough. Never got closer than 80-100 yards before I ran out of cover. It must have seen me because as soon as I tried my crawl thru the short grass manuver it turn tail and disappeared back into the thick brush. It was in an area with several tidal sloughs that fill up in high tide and only have a very slight amount of water in them at low. I figure it was poking around for salmon carcasses. Didn't pan out but was exciting. I remember seeing a double arm strap rifle sling. I'll have to try to find one of those so I can carry my kimber while small game hunting in the future incase this happens again. Congrats on the yote GB.

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
,, Grizz 007 ....That is a great moose ....Sounds like the 225 gr 338 bullet did great ..... I need to kill something big with my 9.3 just so I can stop thinking I need a 416 or 458 for everything ...The Red Mister would have made a mess with that shot ...A big mess..In a model 30 Remington ... execellent...TB_78 ..I have thot the Ruger Compact would also make a great rifle for that kind of hunting ...or the Frontier ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That .50 Alaskan looks pretty neat...

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
Headed down to the Kenai to find the wife a nice black bear and maybe do some trout fishing. Moose season was a bust but I'll have another opportunity for one on the 1st of October. Seen lots of game this year so there are no complaints from my camp, it's been a fun year so far!

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Did not get anything but did get out with my family. We had some fun times. And I have learned a long time ago not to expect much from the hunting up here.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote