Find
Notify
Tools

Big Bear rifle/caliber ?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted
I am curious as to which of the two an experienced bear hunter would choose for close range big bear hunting.
1) Bolt action 375 H&H (with 300 grain bullets)
or
2)Lever action 45/70 (using +P ammo)

I am going to be purchasing in the near future a stainless synthetic bolt action in 375 H&H and have recently acquired a marlin 1895 XLR in 45/70 and was wondering which one would be a better choice for bears. Thanks Tanoose

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With proper bullets either will kill bears quite efficiently. For a hunting situation I would prefer the 375, longer reach. For a hike through the devils club I would probably go for the faster to reload 45-70 with those pre-expanded hard bullets.

Posts: 188 | Location: nc | Registered: 03 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For close range brown bear hunting, if I was not going to use my 450/400 double, or my 9,3x74R double, I would use my Blaser 375 H&H Tracker Synthentic.

There is nothing wrong with a Lever actioned +P 45/70 for such hunting, if you are a lever kind of guy.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At close range there is really no significant terminal performance advantage between the two. I'd say pick what you like more and be confident in its ability.

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am with Tbear on this as well. Although my .375 RUM is not a .375HH and in comparison to my past 1895G .45-70 with my own "hot" loads I think the RUM performed alot more noticable with impact characteristics than the .45-70. It is a toss up in close or within a 100yds. The .45-70 caused some bears to take off slowly and then drop. The RUM left some immediate impressions that causes me to lean to another .375 caliber after I sold it but.....my 9,3x62 thus far has done a tremendous job this season.

Tough to beat a levergun!

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
My vote is for the 375 H&H. I feel it's more versatile for the type critters I hunt and where I hunt them. I have always looked at the 375 H&H as the 30-06 on steroids. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
If you are a lever rifle nut , go with the Marlin ... Other wise I would hands down prefer the 375 ... But why 300 gr bullets .... 270 gr works as good or better ...

Remember ,, Brown bears arn,t elephants ....

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
375 H + H would be my choice of the offerings. but frankly, I would have someting bigger 458WM, 458 Lott or 470 capstick.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Of the two I would pick the .375 H&H. I would rather shoot one of my .358 STA's with a 270 grain North Fork soft point at 2950 fps. I also have a .416 Rem and .416 Rigby, but the additional barrel weight and overall gun weight of those two, make my Model 70 STA's much the quicker responders in a tight situation. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saw the barrel off the .375 to 20 inches and you have an excellent close encounter firearm.

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
Up close and in thick stuff I would probably take the 1895G with Garretts or Buffalo Bore, although I would rather use a slide action .35 Whelen, if I had one.

Namibiahunter

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i own both bolt guns and a 45/70 sgg, if you are going to have problems it will more likely be the lever gun, from what ive seen around herethe lever guns are ok but screws get loose and some hot loads kick the action open plus the lever smacks your middle finger. if i were hunting bears i would choose a bolt 375 over a lever gun

If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tuff.

Posts: 399 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 01 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
There is nothing wrong with a good 45-70 lever gun but I personally think the 375 Ruger Alaskan is as close to THE perfect rifle for big bears as you can find.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4203 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jim Z.
posted Hide Post
.45-70 with the proper load is damn hard to beat. I personally would take by 1895 Winchester in .405 win. with 300 grn, Barnes TSX bullets.

*we band of 45-70ers*
Whiskey for my men & beer for my horses!

Malon Labe!

Posts: 235 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 16 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm taking a 375 H&H (M70)and a 450 Alaskan (M71 Repro) to Afognak this month. The 375 will be "out to 300" and the 450 will be "less than 100". If I didn't have the 450, I'd take my Guide Gun with heavy loads for the same purpose.

That said, planning for a specific gun/ situation goes out the window when you're in the field. Either one should do if I do my part. FWIW.

DManson

Posts: 697 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With Quote