New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope choice for 338 for SE BB's?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just picked up a 338 (an old Model 70 Alaskan) for a first ever bear hunt in SE Alaska. I am tending towards the Leupold VXIII 1.75x6 for this rig. My understanding is that bear hunting is a short range affair, sometimes too short. And to that end, I'm thinking the Leupold "heavy" duplex reticle would be first choice for this application.

This rifle will probably make an elk trip in the lower 48 someday as well. I think this scope would suffice for this application as well. Of course, I could always put another scope on with more magnification later, but I just have to think that 6x magnification is ample for an elk. I don't intend to be blazing away at 400 yards anyway but even there I think 6x would be enough.

I plan to mount the scope in Burris Signature dual dovetail rings and mounts.

And in a somewhat related topic, I'll probably use Federal HE 250 Noslers for ammo on the bears even though I reload.

Thanks!

Tim

Posts: 149 | Location: Nebraska USA | Registered: 22 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Low power up to a vary-X III 2.5-8x. This is the scope I have on my .338, and have shot moose out to 325 yards with it set at 6x. However, the extra 2x helps a little at the range.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 1.5X5 or 1.75X6 Leupold would be exceptional scopes for a 338.

Posts: 1058 | Location: Lodge Grass, MT. Sitka, Bethel, Fort Yukon, Chevak, Skagway, Cantwell and Pt. Hope Alaska | Registered: 24 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have now owned 5 of those rifles and currently have four, I have used a large variety of scopes and what you are proposing is exactly what I have settled on. I restock in good synthetic, install a Leupy O.D. 1-piece base and Q.D. high rings with the screws upgraded to 8-40s. I then install an older steel receiver sight and a post front sight and sight them both in 2" high at 100 yds with either my handloads or the Fed. HE-250 NP. My loads are almost as fast and use the same bullet or the 250 NPGMF ( in my Dakota .338) and this is my all-time favourite load in Grizzly country, for Elk or anything else.

The scope-mounts-sights setup I mention is inexpensive, has worked very well in tough B.C. conditions for me for about 13 yrs. and is not too heavy, given the weight reduction of the Brown stock; it shoots well with the high comb stock and leaves lots of room for speedy reloads.

I also like the Leupy QRW bases with Burris Sig. Z rings, but, prefer good irons to be available on my .338s; I use the Leupy-Burr.-Z setup on my pair of P-64 FWTs in .270, which I do NOT use in Grizzly country. I have found the Leupy 1.75x6-HD to be about the best big game scope I have ever used, in 40 yrs, I own and use quite a few scope including highend ones like W.Ger. Zeiss and Leupy LPS.

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktail53
posted Hide Post
I use the Leupold 2.5x8 on my old winchester alaskan. It has more eye relief than the 2x7. Either of those would be my pick as the elk I shoot can be in the bushes or across the canyon. Actually, any of the scopes mentioned would be great on that rifle. It's a classic. BT53

Posts: 267 | Location: So. Oregon | Registered: 11 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

Leupold 2.5 X 7 would also be great,Kev

Posts: 1002 | Location: ALASKA, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote