Find
Notify
Tools

Camp shoes
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of stuntpilot2
posted
I'll be hunting Moose and Bear in coastal south east Alaska in the first two weeks of September. Am flying in, living out of tent and backpack, and limited to ~75 lbs for 2+ weeks.

What would you recommend for camp shoes under those or similar circumstances?

Thanks in advance,
Stuntpilot

Posts: 214 | Location: Texas | Registered: 24 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Sorry to say I suspect you'll only be able to bring the shoes you're hunting in.

While hunting sheep in the Brooks Range a year ago I brought "Teva" sandals for floating the river and crossing the small streams on my way up the drainages. I guess that worked ok at best. I did wear them around camp while drying my boots and felt relatively comfortable. In the wet south east weather I wonder wether the sandals would be useful at all.

When on a lighter weight hunt around here we generally only bring our hip waders and extra socks. We'll just keep changing them and sleeping with the wet ones in our sleeping bag to make sure the wet ones get dry and we stay uncomfortable.

If you're limited to 75#'s for two weeks I'm not sure I can see where you can spare 2-4#'s for camp shoes.

Posts: 9215 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don B
posted Hide Post
Gotta get some Crocs. They are as light as a feather, and comfy.
Don

Posts: 218 | Location: Lawrenceville, GA | Registered: 22 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
stuntpilot,

If you are hunting in the general area I think you are Teva's/Croc's are not the way to go. You'll still want to keep your feet dry in camp so something like the slip on L.L. BEAN boots really served me well on many hunts in Alaska. Wear them on the flight in and as camp shoes and leave your heavy hunting boots for hiking. 75# of gear carefully chosen is really quite a bit.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Mark,

And all the booze needed for the trip weighs,,,,,?

Posts: 9215 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
stunt:
I think you're looking for Muck boots (or shoes) as the case may be. I wear a pair of them in moose camp. They're a low cut slip on made entirely of rubber. Not too uncomfortable either. I picked mine up here in Fairbanks at Big Ray's but I'm sure if you "google" them, something will come up. And yes, you're gonna want something comfortable so you can get out of your hunting boots at the end of the day.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muskegex
posted Hide Post
Doc has it right ....

Crocs or Tevas are great to let you feet relax or just to get out of your boots and let em air out.

If your worried about getting wet feet just get a pair of the Sealskin socks (goretex) to wear.

Posts: 134 | Location: ketchikan | Registered: 28 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BigBores
posted Hide Post
Search crocs.com for the georgie or the all terrain.
I use the all terrain and it works great. Not so good on ice but great in the summer.
I also use the hydro for kayaking.
All of them are very light to pack.

GR
NRA Endowment Member

Read "Sixguns" by Keith.

Posts: 195 | Location: The AK Interior | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ditto on the Croc "All Terrain" model. Plenty of traction and they are extremely comfotable.

James J. Thomas
Owner Execguide Inc.
Harbinger Omnimedia
Pensacola, FL
412.596.7093 (cell)
011881631537519 (sat)

Posts: 8 | Location: Pensacola, FL | Registered: 18 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guided or unguided hunt??????????

Where there's a hobble, there's hope.

Posts: 369 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 04 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of stuntpilot2
posted Hide Post
Guided

Posts: 214 | Location: Texas | Registered: 24 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Geez!!!!!! C'mon SP2, your guide or outfitter should be providing all the heavy gear......75lbs, as someone already stated, is a bunch of gear.....this trip will probably show you the path to lightening the load.....camp shoe???????? You should be able to get the snifter and smoking jacket in there, too! We have a few pair of good ol' .$.99 flipflops in different sizes for folks to use...they see lots of use...I personally have several pairs of basic Tevas.....if they came in my size, I'd wear Crocs......

Good Luck.....Have a great trip!!!!!!! Don't sweat the small stuff!

Joe

Where there's a hobble, there's hope.

Posts: 369 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 04 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Put me in the teva camp, I've had a couple pairs for years, and they are great for airing out and resting your feet. Wear them sans socks, and even if you have to tromp through moss or something, your feet will dry out plenty quick.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since you asked for opinions, here's mine.

If your in a spike camp, I'd recommend you forget carrying any other camp shoes. Stick with your hunting boots, whether they are hip boots or leather hiking boots. Hopefully you'll hunt all day and won't get much time lounging 'round camp.

Instead of extra foot wear, I'd always pick taking a few extra pairs of decent quailty socks. When backpacking, I have got into the habit of only taking my boots off just before rolling into the sleeping bag. Cheers, Jim

Posts: 162 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote