New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unit 26 caribou hunt?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
reading the Alaskan Hunting regulations I've seen that in the Unit 26 -Arctic Slope- even the non residents can take FIVE caribou. If is it true seems to be a very interesting opportunity. Any Guides there?

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
ANWR, (Arctic National Wildlife Refuge,) is a very pretty place to hunt and as far as I know still has good caribou numbers. I've been there twice and have seen good numbers of trophy bulls both times. Nganga had a good hunt there not to long ago and could share his impressions with you.

On ANWR there are only a few guides licensed to hunt and those guides are listed on the refuges website.

I couldn't recommend a guide but I certainly recommend the trip. The North Slope of the Brooks Range is magnificent country.

Posts: 9474 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks Scott. Very interesting

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Greg Jennen and Phil Byrd (Dennis Reiner's old area) both operate guide services in or near that unit hunting the Arctic River herd. I have had successful trips there for caribou and grizzly. If I can help you PM me. I know there is a hunt report from last year listed here on the forum as well. Good luck.

Posts: 633 | Location: California | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Wade. I will contact you.

mario

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Me and a buddy are doing a caribou drop camp this August with Greg Jennen(The Grizzinator).

He runs a top notch outfit, I killed my Dall ram with his guide (Dan Ondersma)in the ANWR last year.

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it". Fred Bear

Posts: 444 | Location: WA. State | Registered: 06 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good Luck. I will wait the report.

mario

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mario,
You are correct on the regulations. Non residents can shoot 5 caribou. I haven't checked today, but residents have a limit of 5 a day for years. There are plenty of caribou.

It is remote, with relatively few guides, but they are there. I have hunted out of Kotzebue a couple times. Tons of caribou, and magnificent country, at the end of the earth.

Bill

Posts: 1089 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When the porcupine herd migrates through, we can get to them on snowmachine, but most everybody just hunts 40 mile herd. Most everybody here in our community gets a few bou but nobody ever wants 5/day. What would you do with all that meat, not to mention all the work. I think the reason they have the 5 limit is most rural people want to get their meat in and get it over with. Hunting is not about sport, more about fresh meat. If there was a road to where the caribou are, there would be thousands of urban hunters, the 5 limit would never be in place.

We hunt the 40 mile herd, subsistence season starts Aug 4th, urban hunters aug 29th. We literally get thousands of urban hunters on atvs; and season only remains open a couple days; then after the urban guys go back home, they reopen subsistence season till end of sept then reopens dec and remains open until march. Since f&g only wants 3-4 hundred caribou harvested, I figure the season will close quick. Usually they want 500 killed and 800 get taken. Wolves & bear take 10X what people do. The 40 mile herd is around 50K.

If somebody wants a big double shovel, and by that I mean bigger than anything you have ever seen on the caribou TV hunting shows; get in place a couple days before season, locate bou and find the biggest concentration of big bulls. Our susbsistence season starts Aug 4th, guarantee ya the locals will have know where the big boys are and be gunning for them on opening day.

This is the bou my daughter got last August, not a big double shovel, but nice in it's own way. She wants something nicer this August before she heads off to Texas to school; she'll probably get one too.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
a really beautiful caribou! Congratulations!

mario

posted Hide Post
Damn nice bou.

One of Us
Picture of nhoro
posted Hide Post
I've been on 2 self-guided caribou hunts in GMU 26, and both were outstanding. It is true that non-residents can take 5 caribou (at least a few years ago that was the case), and residents could (can) take 5 per day. While that sounds quite liberal, remember that most, if not all, access is by plane (we used a float plane and camped on a large lake) and weight limitations come into play. To ensure the otter we chartered could take us, our gear and the meat out in one trip, we limited everyone (residents and non-residents) to 2 caribou per person.

JEB Katy, TX

Already I was beginning to fall into the African way of thinking: That if
you properly respect what you are after, and shoot it cleanly and on
the animal's terrain, if you imprison in your mind all the wonder of the
day from sky to smell to breeze to flowers—then you have not merely
killed an animal. You have lent immortality to a beast you have killed
because you loved him and wanted him forever so that you could always
recapture the day - Robert Ruark

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of mustbhuntn
posted Hide Post
To ensure the otter we chartered could take us, our gear and the meat out in one trip, we limited everyone (residents and non-residents) to 2 caribou per person.[/QUOTE]

A couple of friends and I did a DIY caribou hunt in the late 90's in unit 26. We had a raft and floated the Killick and Collville rivers and camped along the shores at night. With all the weight from the camp equipment and the raft, we limited ourselves to one caribou each to meet the weight limits. We went the first week of Sept and most of the caribou had already migrated elsewhere. There were deep trails cut in the tundra where the herds had been. We only saw about 200 caribou total and maybe a dozen shooter bulls. We each got a nice caribou though.

Posts: 322 | Location: Green Forest, Arkansas | Registered: 24 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Game Hunter
posted Hide Post
Mario,

As Wade mentioned, Phil Byrd operates on the North Slope of the Brooks Range. He has caribou, arctic grizzly, and Dall's sheep. Wade and I both book hunts for Phil and I guide for him.

You can read the report below about my trip last year. We do not have any openings this year but we could get you in for next year if you are interested.

Contact Wade and he can set you up.

Keith O'Neal
Trophy Collectors Consultants
Po Box 3908
Oxford, AL. 36203
256-310-4424
TCChunts@gmail.com

All of your desires can be found on the other side of your fears.

Posts: 490 | Location: Oxford, AL. | Registered: 24 October 2009Reply With Quote