THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Moving to Alaska (Kenai Peninsula)

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moving to Alaska (Kenai Peninsula)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of medium
posted
My wife and I found out today that we got teaching jobs in the village of Port Graham, Alaska (Kenai Peninsula). We are moving in late July (right after we get back from our hunting trip in South Africa). I obviously plan on doing a lot of hunting and fishing there. I haven't done much research yet but will be doing that shortly. Any of you guys ever hunted up there near that area? (It's on the more southern part of the peninsula; the closest "towns" being Seldovia and Homer. I was just curious about the animals (I know moose and bear...any others?) and what size of animals. I'm also interested in hearing you guys' experiences in the area. Thanks!

Jason

Posts: 136 | Location: Seward, Alaska | Registered: 11 April 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

Fishing should be great. I think you have the big game specieas down, and you can add in some small game as well. I've never heard of it as being a big destination for hunting, so you might have to work alot at finding game. I'm pretty sure you'll have to do some traveling to get Caribou, Sheep and Goats. You're not that far from Kodiak, so that makes blacktail deer, rosevelt elk, and of course large brown bears.

Only downside is you need to be here a year before being allowed to get a resident hunting fishing license, and non-res license and tags are spendy.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote