Find
Notify
Tools

Book on Tim Treadwell
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted
Looks like a local author is publishing a book on the nutjob Treadwell. I don't plan on buying it but there were a few snippets in today's daily rag that were of interest:

Link to Article

"Jans' Alaska Magazine article concentrated on Treadwell's strange interpretations and apparent disregard for bear safety. He would often brush up against them, cooing to them in a sing-song voice and giving them names, such as "Boobie" and "Mr. Bubbles."

Now that real bright!!! nut

At first, I thought the author of the new book was another nut case, but he's supposedly spent 20 years on the Brooks Range and as apparently shot 10 bears himself. Seems to have some common sense:

"I don't know how many bears I've been within 20 feet of, I've lost count, " Jans said. "Certainly I don't have a death wish. I just like fishing by myself and hiking in the woods by myself. I pay attention and I certainly always carry something."

. . . . and he probably doesn't go around petting bears either!!!

Might be a interesting read, who knows.

"I really wanted to write and not let my own personal feelings enter into it," he said. "I wanted to give the reader room to make up his own mind. He was an easy target, but as I went along, I found myself swaying back and forth like a piece of grass in the wind depending on who I last talked to."

MM

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I watched that movie clip that was posted on "grizzleyman" or what ever its called. Took a couple hours for my PC to load that movie clip.

To me Tredwell's manerism seems like he was a idiot, the way he moved,turned sharply and waved his arms etc he just seems like a dumb ass. If I was a horse and saw that bozo comeing up to my stable , id bite the sob, or kick him in the nuts.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I just finished the book. It wasn't bad as the author tried to portray both sides and actually did a fairly good job IMO

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote