THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Spring on the Denali Hwy - Black Bears?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spring on the Denali Hwy - Black Bears?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted
My wife is wanting to take a trip to AK the last week of May and drive the Denali Hwy, perhaps making a circle from Fairbanks. Are there any black bears that are huntable along that road? Is there anything/places that are fishable at that time of year. Just trying to decide if it's worth the cost of a tag or not.

Thanks in advance,

Redlander

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I spend that time of year in other parts of AK so I'm not sure what you'll be up against but I don't think you'll be happy with what you find.

That road might not even be open yet if you go to early in May. Also I think that is Grizz country and I doubt if there are many Black bear.

There are many areas much better for Black bear.

Once you get to the western end of the road and south toward Talkeetna you'll be in better country for black bear.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yup, grizzly country......though I'm told the odd blackie has been found. The road should be open by late May, but the lakes may still have ice on them into early-mid June.

Posts: 513 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
Agree with the others, you'll most likely find a grizz than a blackie, the area is truly Grizz country. I hunt that area alot, every spring, you will see mostly outfitters on snowmachines guiding clients for a grizz that time of the year, mostly near the Susitna river Bridge. Depending on weather the road might or might not be passable all the way through. There are a few creeks along the road that hold some nice grayling, and usually about the end of May is prime time! For Black bear, go to PWS, take a boat or boat charter, you could possibly see as many as 40 -50 black bears if you glass up high and not along the coast.

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
guides are still trying to snowmachine in late may?
any idea who's working that area AKsheephunter?

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hope you have a friend here who can lend you a 4 wd truck.
The state in its ultimate wisdom (Thank Gov Murkoski) decided years ago not to maintain this road. Most, if not all the car rental companies I been told tell you the vehicle you are renting can not be taken on this highway.

The road isnt really that bad but during breakup it could be at it's worse. I traveled the highway more than a few times in years past and never seen any blackies from the road.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the information.

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
Yes, I was hunting the HWy the weekend of the 16th and 17th and ran into an outfitter there with his client they were each on a snowmachine, I believe he said his name was "Red" Thats all I remember, they were real nice, can't remember the name of the outfit, but they hunt that area from what I was told, 10 miles past the Susitna Lodge, near Alpine creek. The HWY was not passable it was still bogged with heavy wet snow just pass that another 8-10 miles, I was trying to meet up with my buddy coming from the other Paxson side from Faibanks. I do try to hit the HWY every spring, and will cruise up there again this year.

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AKsheep, ok i think i know who your talking about, i was just curious since no one has a BLM land use permit for that area. i might hit the hwy this spring as well and see what its like.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
what ak hunter/snow wolf said ..u "run out " black bears (south of fairbanks) "not to far down the rich south of delta" and south of healy last spring my kid got two blacks between nenana and healy in may..but he was driving it early and late twice a week...

45-70 goverment ..the only one i trust!