Find
Notify
Tools

Different question to Alaskans
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
HI,

I understand that this is a hunting forum, but this question kind of fits.I am looking at wood burning stoves for heat and cooking, I am sure almost everywhere in AK wood stoves are used.I am looking at HARMAN wood stoves, they even have a grill option and rotisserie option.I think with hunting in mind cooking and heat are very important they kind of go togather.What do you have and what do you think are the best out there?,Kev

Posts: 1002 | Location: ALASKA, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kev,

When I lived in Dillingham I used a Federal Airtight for heat for over 16 years. It worked amazingly well even with the low BTU wood we had to burn and saved us literally thousands in heating bills. I personally did not use wood for cooking. It really takes a lot of fiddling and patience to get the wood cooking down pat.

If you have a supply of cheap or as I did free wood go for it. Supplying your own heat from your labors is quite satisfying. It is right up there with putting your own food on the table.

Good Luck,

Mark

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

Thanks MARK,where I am I will have all the wood I will ever need,I am having a road and pad put in within two weeks maybe less and great amount wood is there and more will be there to.The HARMAN stove had option for grill and rotisserie,which I think would be handy.It also loads from top or side,Kev

Posts: 1002 | Location: ALASKA, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Folks up here use fifty gallon drums to make wood stoves, by cutting a third off the height, and welding the bottom back on. They even create a section at the bottom for baking, within a seperate compartment. There is also a kit for sale that converts drums, too.

Cast iron stoves are quite expensive to ship up here. Also them flimsy thin sheet metal stoves, although lighter, don't last for very long.

Most wood stoves used in homes up here are "real" ones (not home made), bought when the house was built (weight/price don't matter then). I'm talking about camp stoves. ~~~Suluuq

Posts: 854 | Location: Kotzebue, Ak. | Registered: 25 December 2001Reply With Quote