THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Scott King-have you seen the whales yet?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scott King-have you seen the whales yet?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted
How far up river are they?

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Maybe.

I was coming home in the skiff on the 15th or 16th or something like that and drove across a few whale wakes that were far too big I thought to be belugas. I understand I have nothing to fear from the great creatures that live out of sight underneath me in a world I can't survive in, but frankly,.......F--- that, I stayed on the throttle, looked back a few times, never saw any dorsal fins and got back on the boat trailer ASAP.

You guys wanna go frolic with killer whales, great, fine. Fly out and I'll put you up at my place and feed youyour last meal a great dinner. You'll be solo after that.

I understand they're up at the Kokwok River near the village of Ekwok. I'd sure like to see them and mebbe I'll get a chance to go up river for a look myself but I doubt it. I was thinking that it can't be good for them to be in fresh water all this time and if (Heaven forbid,) the die up there I'll be darn sure making the time to go see for myself.

Posts: 9199 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
Here's your chance Scott

quote:
I was thinking that it can't be good for them to be in fresh water all this time and if (Heaven forbid,) the die up there I'll be darn sure making the time to go see for myself.

Dead Whales

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
My first thought was "Oh maybe I can kill a big bear off one!" Then remembered what dead whale eating bears smell like and thought better.

The skiff is out and ready to go so if I can over the next couple of days I'll go try to take a picture I can post here.

Its too bad they died I think, but I suppose whales have to die somewhere. Seems like killer whales have appeared locally just about every year. Sometimes the beluga herd is quite thick so I can see why killer whales would be around.

Unfortunately the carcasses will float out to sea, so we won't be able to appreciate them the way the folks up on the North Slope do. It'd be neat to have a bone yard up river for the next 30 years or so.

Posts: 9199 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote