New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bison In Alaska
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I heard on the radio today that Alaska fish and Game is planning to release wood bison into the wild with the intent of giving harvest opportunities to subsustance, and native hunters then open to general hunting.
This will happen if the herd increases. In the Yukon our herd is growing in leaps and bounds.
Watson Lake

Posts: 326 | Location: Watson Lake, Yukon, Canada | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
That idea to introduce wood bison into the Yukon flats NWR has been in the plan for quit a few years - and the bison were moved to Alaska. but the natives corporations, and oil companies who have their eyes on their lands, are fearful of introducing an endangered species into the mix.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The news said the idea has been discussed for at least 10 years. But now looks like it might go ahead..

Watson lake..

Posts: 326 | Location: Watson Lake, Yukon, Canada | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
There are already several herds in the state.
Very few get permits to shoot the ones that can be acessed.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sounded to me like all the wood bison in alaska are behind fences though in very large areas?

The intend I believe is to have a free range herd like we have in the Yukon Territory..

Watson Lake

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
I think this will finally happen and am very happy it will!

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Watson Lake:
sounded to me like all the wood bison in alaska are behind fences though in very large areas?

The intend I believe is to have a free range herd like we have in the Yukon Territory..

Watson Lake

There's a herd on the other side of the Copper River, another in the Fairwell burn area and the one in the Delta area. As well as some private stock in Homer, Kodiak and Delta areas that I know of. Maybe more?

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
so far the information I find is that the bison which are free roaming are plains bison. the ones proposed to be released are wood bison..

Watson LAKE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a link about the story...

http://www.sitnews.us/0113News...1913_wood_bison.html

Watson Lake

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Watson Lake:
so far the information I find is that the bison which are free roaming are plains bison. the ones proposed to be released are wood bison..

Watson LAKE

Correct.

one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:
Very few get permits to shoot the ones that can be acessed.

We'll know who the lucky people are within a month.

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The state is currently housing the woods bison down in Portage AK at a wildlife park. I am not sure of the exact reason, but they need to be quarantined for 3-5 years to make sure they don't have a particular disease before being released in the wild.

Nice idea, but the average Alaskan hunter will never draw a permit for the Delta herd (easy to drive to) in their lifetime. Not sure how they will permit the woods bison. 36 years of trying for the Delta herd has netted me zip.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
From what I have read some of the wood bison (maybe in Canada)have been or are infected with
brucellosis.

Here's a google on it.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001623/

Thsat's probably why they're still in the pens.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would love to hunt a wood bison in the future. But im sure it is a long shot no pun intended.

Posts: 521 | Registered: 30 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:
From what I have read some of the wood bison (maybe in Canada)have been or are infected with
brucellosis That's probably why they're still in the pens.

Here is a map describng both infected and disease free herds. The Yukon herd, not shown on the enclosed map, is also disease free. I don't think the failure to release herds in Alaska has much if anything to do with disease but more to do with politics and community relations. The Yukon herd going crazy and probably tripling initial target numbers probably doesn't help make the case in Alaska either. I did my part on that front, three times, so don't blame me! Wink

http://www.bisonandroads.com/default.aspx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Bison that are currently free ranging and huntable are Plains Bison. Permits are difficult draws and success rates have dropped to below 50% on the kills.
The Woods Bison are currently being fenced and have been for a number of years. The hold up on the release is due to the animals being classifed as endangered, which would put a stop to oil and gas exploration on Doyon lands (native owed land) in the Yukon Flats. Its my understanding the animals will now be reclassified as experimental and released into the wild. Gas, oil and mineral exploration will be allowed.
I killed a Bison bull on a solo hunt 2 years age in Delta. I put in 30 years for the permit and finally just bought the Governors tag at auction. Figured it would be the only way to get a tag.

Posts: 442 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
10-20 years ago a dozen or so wandered from the Yukon Terr. to Ak along the road during the winter. They went as far as Tok Junction, decided it was too cold and turned around and went back to the warn climate of the Yukon Territory!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alaska Hunter:
bought the Governors tag at auction.

What do they usually go for?

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7610 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
That makes me wonder how many years the Gov. put in for that tag!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought it at auction for just under $9,000.
I told my wife that I'd have to go to at least $10,000 or more, so she was pretty excited when I saved all that money.

Posts: 442 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well played sir Wink

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've seen Bison along the road and down on Copper River towards Kenny Lake. Also seen a few up near Delta. I know quite a few people who have drawn the tags, so it's not impossible. I heard stories from Indian friends & neighbors who claim there were still wood bison along the upper Yukon just 200 years ago; they were hunted out before Whites got here.

We need Elk here in the interior, thats what I figure.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Canada, between Haines Junction and Kluane I saw two beautiful Mule Deer bucks, last June. That's nearing the US/Canada border. Reports of Mule Deer and, their natural predators, Mountain Lions, have come from East of Tok. These are natural populations expanding their range. Elk are also expanding their range north, into Yukon. They will get here ... without our interference.

Posts: 34 | Location: Two Rivers Alaska | Registered: 30 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
Sounds like good news.
However, for those of us unfamiliar with the animals, what is the difference between a woods bison and a plains bison?
Historical info too?
Thanks

Posts: 784 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Friends in Dawson have deer in their yards all winter. Deer have been seen near the Y up the Taylor. I also hear there are elk only a couple hundred miles from the border in the Yukon.

People here in Eagle have seen mnt lions. they follow the caribou back from Canada.

I never see the good stuff like Bigfoots which the tourists see all the time, ghosts, or little green men. Lucky to see moose & bear with all the wolves around.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Karoo ...

Here are links to the Ak Dept of Fish and Game that will explain North America's two varieties of Bison:

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/ind...?adfg=woodbison.main

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/ind...dfg=plainsbison.main

As I recall, the Russians were in Alaska, trading with the natives, at the time of the extermination of the last Wood Bison, i.e., firearms may have been a factor.

I saw Rocky Mountain Elk in the area of Whitehorse a couple years ago. Beautiful critters, and pretty tasty. I'm told.

Posts: 34 | Location: Two Rivers Alaska | Registered: 30 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
Thanks Endgame
That is a world away from me and they are definitely magnificent animals.

Posts: 784 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote