THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Does Portable Electric Bear Fencing Work?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does Portable Electric Bear Fencing Work?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm planning to do a float trip for Moose this fall on a river that typically is swarming with brown bears. Yeah, I know they don't coexist well, but I think I can scrape a moose out anyhow. I'm going with a buddy who, while a good guy, has little outdoor or firearm experience, so the burden is mine. I sleep like a rock, and have a passing fear or two that a bear could crawl into my bag before I knew it. Even more importantly, the bears there like to eat rafts, and I'm nervous about leaving the camp unguarded while I/we chase moose.

My question: do the portable electic fences really work to keep bears out of a small perimeter? I'm talking the portable kind run off "D" or 12 volt batteries. Anyone with REAL EXPERIENCE? If nothing else, I'd like to run it around my boat/tent while I'm out looking for that 72 inch spread guy.

Posts: 81 | Location: too far east | Registered: 29 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The short answer is yes they do really work. The ones I've seen have a solar panel for charging a battery. Is it portable enough to want to mess with one a hunt? My vote would be no but that's my opinion only.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12935 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another option that'd be lighter and easier would be to get a couple of Critter Gitters. These are portable motion detectors that you could set up around your camp. They operate on 9V batteries and weigh about 1/4 pound each. I don't care how deep you sleep, the shrieks they let out will wake you up.

All skill is in vain when a demon pisses on your gunpowder.

Posts: 262 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They work only if the bear doesn't want to go through. I have a mile fencer hooked up to 300 yards of fence around my garden to keep the deer out. Needless to say they get a jolt out of it. Works well most of the time. But I have had bears walk right though it draggng the wire out into the woods. I think a couple of motion detectors with alams would be handy to wake oneself up.

Posts: 19453 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll second the motion detectors.......not long ago, not far from the cabin, a brownie went through three strands of honest-to-god stock electric fencing, killed the horse and took it elsewhere.......the fence may work, may not.....the motion detectors you'll hear and they'll maybe even startle the bear off.

Joe

Where there's a hobble, there's hope.

Posts: 369 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 04 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the good ideas. Regarding portability, some outfit makes a 5 lb fence, so that should work on a fly-in float trip. I like the idea of a perimeter alarm, maybe better instead. I'll look for "Critter Getters" on the net. Just in case, any leads on who sells them?

Posts: 81 | Location: too far east | Registered: 29 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We floated the goodnews river last year and used one of the 4-d cell chargers. Anything outside the fence would disappear, but inside would stay.

FWIW

MFH

One of Us
Picture of The Cat Doctor
posted Hide Post
go with the motion sensors and a good pair of running shoes. remember as long as you aren't camping alone you don't have to out run the bear.

Posts: 165 | Location: missouri | Registered: 18 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Cat Doctor:
go with the motion sensors and a good pair of running shoes. remember as long as you aren't camping alone you don't have to out run the bear.

Not exactly, didn't seem to help to last two couples that got et by bars.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote