Find
Notify
Tools

Accuracy vs Velocity for Griz
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wayfaring Stranger
posted
I know this is one of those questions to which there is no answer, but I'm gonna ask it anyway.

I got a .338 for my upcoming interior griz/caribou combo hunt in AK next year and am working up loads for the 225 gr TSX. I have one load that is well below max but will pretty much clover leaf at 100 yds. The max load isn't so good: it shoots a group of about 1.1-1.3" (which I consider good enough) but the first shot out of a clean barrel is about 2" high and .5" right. I'm going to try to figure out if a fowling shot would take care of this or not.

I just wanted to get a sense from those folks out there hunting there critters: would you opt for the tighter group with the ~150 fps velocity loss or stick with the max load and suffer the accuracy loss? Or just close your eyes and pick cause it won't make a damned bit of difference?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If the 270 won't do it the .338 will, if the 338 won't I can't afford the hunt!

Posts: 320 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 29 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
I do alot of precision shooting, and without a doubt, ACCURACY over velocity, shot placement is key, my kid dropped a griz with his .260 kimber montana shooting 120 grains while sheep hunting last year. I have seen Big Brownies dropped with a .270. Not saying I would take such a light cal. to hunt them, but it will work. Bottom line, what works for you and whats you shoot most accurately.

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
You have plenty of time to play with seating, powder, ect, ect to see if you can get the velocity you want with the accuracy you want.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
WayFare

For me it is always extremely important to have the upmost faith in my rifle, my load and my bullet for the mission! Confidence in your equipment and load is the key to success!

Brett is correct, you have a year to play so make the best of it and come up with a good combination that works giving you max accuracy, and bullet performance.

In the end however the bear won't care if the TSX is down by a 100-150 fps or so!

It is much more important for you to have the confidence in your equipment!

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
It's all about shot placement! Most natives I know up here use M94 30-30s or similar. They like to hit the neck just behind the head. I saw a 10 year old boy drop two bull moose with a little 7-08. Hit'em both just behind the head at 150 and 180 yards. Dropped like a bad of sand. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
I've only shot one big bear, so I'm no expert. That said, whether it is squirrels or elephants, accuracy is the most important factor. 150 fps. in my opinion is not significant, a shot a few inches to far back at the edge of the alders............

one of us
posted Hide Post
Go with accuracy.

When you look at the Griz through you scope, you will not be thinking "Do I have enough velocity?"

You will be thinking "CAN I HIT HIM GOOD!!?"

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Go with accuracy.

When you look at the Griz through you scope, you will not be thinking "Do I have enough velocity?"

You will be thinking "CAN I HIT HIM GOOD!!?"

+1
That bear will not know the difference in 150fps velocity when it's hit. I always go with accuracy, it's a mental thing, your faster group is not bad by any means, 1.3 MOA is 2.6 at 200 and 5.2 at 300 which to me is an extreme distance to shoot a griz anyway IMO.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by Dirklawyer

quote:
That bear will not know the difference in 150fps velocity when it's hit. I always go with accuracy, it's a mental thing, your faster group is not bad by any means, 1.3 MOA is 2.6 at 200 and 5.2 at 300 which to me is an extreme distance to shoot a griz anyway IMO.

+1 here also 5.2 at 300 equals a 2.6" miss at that range. A bears vitals are a lot bigger than that.

You already have all you need but like the others have said here you have a lot of time to tweak your load. I'm sure you can have both. I load my bolt action .338's to the max and still have under MOA with both. My .338 double rifle regulates a little under that.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No matter what you shoot, accuracy kills. Big velocity numbers influence friends and forums.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wayfaring Stranger
posted Hide Post
Thanks all, appreciate the replies.

I think I'd rather spend the time shooting the more accurate but slower load from various positions at the range to build confidence in my shooting the fiddle with the load anymore.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If the 270 won't do it the .338 will, if the 338 won't I can't afford the hunt!

Posts: 320 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 29 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll be different here. 0.5 inches in group size is completely irrelevant in this case. If you were talking about going from 1" groups to 3.5" groups, it would be one thing, but going from 1.5" groups to 1" groups is meaningless in the context of this discussion. Pick a quality bullet and spend your time getting into shape and shooting from field positions and in high winds rather than screwing around on the benchrest.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Right on analog!, but you have a year. Try different bullets and powder combinations.
I get max velocity and sub MOA groups from my Rem 700 Classic - 338 with Nosler Partitions (either 225 or 250 gr) and max loads of H4831.
Bear2

?

Posts: 6 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: 15 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WS

Exactly! You are hunting fairly good sized animals at moderate ranges. A rifle that delivers a premium bullet at moderate to high velocity will work fine. The 225 TSX is perfect in your 338. If you can drive it over 2700 FPS with good accuracy it's a winner.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12868 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My opinion :

Go with the tack-driver .

Confidence in the weapon and its group , is an indespensible part of your psychological relationship with your rifle .

150 fps is nothing , given your choice of a premium bullet , -- which yields more than adequate energy dump and penetration at a less than maximum loading .

Couple of things : --- If you want to go way-out for the Caribou , you can go to a 200 gr. bullet , and get a very flat result . -- Depends on anticipated Caribou / open country conditions .

For the Grizz. , -- if you're hunting alone , and a charge occurs , -- the .375 H&H or better , would be a better choice .

-- The .375 with light for caliber Premiums , is a flatter shooter than most envision , for Caribou . For Griz. , -- when around streams and alderbrush , -- the .375 with Heavy Premiums is good medicine . --- Comforting .

-------- Best of Luck , MMCOUGAR .

NRA Benefactor Member
---- 2nd Amend. -- They could have said , " The Right of Such a Militia " ; ----- But they didn't , they said " . . . . . The right of the PEOPLE " .

Posts: 138 | Location: Far Northwest -- North Rockies , - anytime I can . | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
*** Per the American Rifleman ***

Just read an article , in a recent American Rifleman , -- on loading the Barnes TSX bullet .

I just skimmed the article , but believe it said the TSX is very sensitive to seating depth , and usually prints better in loads w/ less than maximum pressures .

If I'm remembering right , -- that would explain WAYFARING STRANGER'S better groups .

Maybe it's par for the course with the TSX's ?

---------------- MMCOUGAR .

NRA Benefactor Member
---- 2nd Amend. -- They could have said , " The Right of Such a Militia " ; ----- But they didn't , they said " . . . . . The right of the PEOPLE " .

Posts: 138 | Location: Far Northwest -- North Rockies , - anytime I can . | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frist off I would want to know if you have measured the vel of the loads. A load that is well below max could 300 to 400 fps below max or book vel.

A 1.3 inch group is dead bear well out to 300 yards plus. If it is only 150 fps loss a very tight group is worth it. But only if you real know what the vel. actualy is.

One could easly be down around 2300 fps if you haven't measured the vel. I take this is a 338 WM. or is it some other form of 338 mag.

If both loads are up there over 2600fps then it really dosen't make much of a differants. If one is only going by the book vel. I find that most rifle vel's are slower then the ones in the book.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd always opt for the tighter group. 150fps is not a big deal.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote