New
Find
Notify
Tools

Raspberry Island Elk Hunt?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A buddy of mine drew and elk tag on Raspberry Island. He talked me into going along with him to help pack meat and possibly deer hunt if the elk hunt goes well. Just curious if anyone has any experience hunting elk or deer on this island? I am also wondering which rifle I should take. I have a 350 RM and a 375 H&H. I shoot both rifles well and both have QR scope mounts so most of the time I will be carrying without a scope. The 350 is lighter and shorter and am thinking of taking it but would feel more secure with the 375 just in case of an issue with bears. I'm told the bears on this island are plentiful.

Posts: 125 | Location: Coalgate, Oklahoma | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cfore:
A buddy of mine drew and elk tag on Raspberry Island. He talked me into going along with him to help pack meat and possibly deer hunt if the elk hunt goes well. Just curious if anyone has any experience hunting elk or deer on this island? I am also wondering which rifle I should take. I have a 350 RM and a 375 H&H. I shoot both rifles well and both have QR scope mounts so most of the time I will be carrying without a scope. The 350 is lighter and shorter and am thinking of taking it but would feel more secure with the 375 just in case of an issue with bears. I'm told the bears on this island are plentiful.

Plenty of Big Brownies on the Island. Who is your buddy hunting with? Lots of DEVILS CLUB, If you don't know what it is trust me you will be an Expert on it when you return. I would take the .375H&H and I would use the scope. Lots of up hill action. Bring rain gear & rubber boots. Good luck & let us know how you do!

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I have heard they are plentiful and very ornery.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We are not hunting with anyone. Have a room booked with Raspberry Island Remote Camp so we will be coming back there to dry out. Plan to hunt out of a spike camp for a couple of days at a time and come back and dry out and sleep in a bed between trips.

I am familiar with devils club and I like it about as much as I like bears. I really do like bears when I can hunt them, when I can't I'd like for them to just go away.

Posts: 125 | Location: Coalgate, Oklahoma | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote