THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    It's bad when hunting shows make us look like poachers

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's bad when hunting shows make us look like poachers
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted
I haven't liked any hunting shows since Curt Gowdy was hosting American Sportsman. Here's the latest reason to dislike them even more:

http://news.yahoo.com/hunting-...BHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Forrest, I think it is shows that tend to make us look bad and am at least glad that we have troopers paying attention to nab the real law breakers.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When there is money involved it tends to bring out the worst in some people.

A old time poacher once told me if your going to some thing illegal do it by your self and don't tell ay body about.

More people are caught because they told some else.

Talk about putting a flag on yourself and waving high up in the air for every one to see

TV Youtube seem to be the ultimate telling some one else.

Posts: 19432 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a disgrace. Good job on the troopers. Stuck in hotel in ANC read in paper amazing but nothing surprises me anymore

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2852 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I commented on another part of AR on this, but net if you ever saw any of their shows, whether they were legally hunting or not, it makes hunting look bad. Rednecks with video editing gear basically.

I loved it when Gerald McRaney was the host of Beretta's show. That was first class.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3061 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Money brings a lot of crooks to the outfitting business, the various state wildlife agencies, BLM, Forest Service and Federal Fish and Wildlife service do a hell of a business in bringing them down.

The arrogance of breaking the law under the public eye, is what I don't understand.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
I know this is "racial profiling", but Mississippi? Louisiana? Poachers? Not surprising.

I hope to heaven that they lose their ability to hunt and fish in Alaska for life. Scum.

Dave

Posts: 921 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS    Hunting    Alaska Hunting Forum    It's bad when hunting shows make us look like poachers

Contact Us | Accuratereloading.com | Terms of Service

Lucky for them they were doing this in Alaska and not Africa, they might have been shot if caught.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3061 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hunting shows generally leave me cold..To start with I would normally shoot way before these guys who sit there and wait for the perfect broadside shot like one would expect from a bow hunter...More and more I have quit stand hunting for deer, other than meat hunting does, and have gone back to spot and stalk or just walking and bushing out a buck. My favorite hunt is horse back in the rimrock country and bailing off and shooting when you jump a buck...Hunting shows seem like they are all stand shooting, even for mule deer and elk seems to support "bush wacking and back shooting".

Long range shooting like 1000 to 2000 yards strikes me as not hunting, and closer to murder and I know in my heart of hearts lots of legs get blown off, and its not hunting under any circumstances.

I also understand that some terrain require stand shooting, some hunting such as Leopard requires baiting, but just can't understand Long Range sniping at game, it seems unethical. But as long as its legal to each his own.

Not sure what the shows have to do with poaching, guess I lived thru another crisis without knowing about it, or missed something. I know poachers exist, and in some places its become a way of life, handed down from one generation to another, both in the USA and other countries, in some cases it,s subsistence, and in other cases it is greed and/or a lack of character..Poaching is not a cut and dried situation, it has degrees of legality IMO..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You missed it. All over papers in Anchorage wile I was waiting for my ill fated hunt......

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2852 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote