New
Find
Notify
Tools

Admiralty Blacktails
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Had the opportunity arise to DYI blacktails on Admiralty next week- in 4 days. I know about the bears, but what about the deer? Any major die-offs recently? I will be on the coast and wonder if there will be any mature bucks down low this time of year? Best to run a skiff along the shore and glass or hike rivers/muskegs?

General information would be appreciated. Thanks

Posts: 783 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
Up high will have the best bucks. Hiking the criks isn't the best place to find a buck. But u will bump into plenty of bears. There will also be plenty way up high in some places .
LOTS of bear on Admiralty . What you going to be shooting with?

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
Hope to make up the treeline on Admiralty (south of Juneau on East side of island) this weekend. Bear will only be on streams with silvers as humpys and chum are pretty much over. Deer can be had on the beach, especially with the big low tides this week. I think they have to come low regulary to get the vitamins and minerals present in the low/minus tide vegetation.

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote