THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Pack animals on the Dalton Highway?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pack animals on the Dalton Highway?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted
What's the regs on using pack animals to haul out meat to the Dalton Highway? I know about the 5 mile firearms no-hunt zone. I don't mind the hike out and back but bringing meat back would be made a lot easier if a horse, mule, burro, llama, yak, or camel Big Grin could do it for you.

If it is allowed, has anyone used a pack animal to pack meat out the 5 or miles to the Haul Road?

Namibiahunter

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
namibiahunter:
My moose hunting partner used to have horses. He's related a story as how he, his boys & wife took several of their horeses up the Dalton & packed in for a distance. As I recall, it was in Aug. They hit a terrible snow storm but got out ok. I can't recall for certain that they were hunting tho. As far as I know, it's legal to use pack animals - don't know of any regs against it. If you do go, I'd advise that you be sure to take emergency gear/clothing. I'd also advise that you at least have a compass. It all looks the same up there and if you get caught in a snow storm you could easily become disoriented. Again, as far as I know, it's not illegal to use pack animals up there. Hope this helps some & good luck. Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote