New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sitka v Kodiak?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello, I would like to do a black tail deer hunt/halibut trip in either Sitka or Kodiak this year. I was wondering which place would have the best combination of the two. I would like to do several days of hunting and several days fishing. Shooting the deer will be the first priority. Also, what would be the best month to accomplish both? If you have any info on some cheap lodging on either island it would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks

Posts: 54 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 15 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tommygunn: I have hunted brown bear in the spring on Admiralty Is. and the place is crawling with deer..Admiralty is right next to Baranof Is. where Sitka is located. Any decent charter from Unalaska to Craig will get you into to more halibut than you could ever reasonably handle. I have also hunted elk and deer on Afognak and deer on Kodiak from a 45' boat, and both places have lots of deer. Again, the ocean is full of halibut, cod, yelloweye, other rockfish, and a bunch of other stuff I will not mention. The best way to hunt and fish at the same time is to hunt from a live-aboard boat and there are a lot of transporters out there that provide that service. These are unguided hunts. I am sure if you search the web you will find a lot of opportunites and you will find what folks charge. I paid about $2,400 for 10 days of goofing off. Some boats cost more and some cost less..and these are basically floating camps...you will be on your own when hunting and fooling around with what you shoot. Good luck .

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tommy,

First off you need to know that unless you come during November when the bucks have moved down the deer will be up high and not easy to get to. If you are coming in November you might as well come in the middle of the month when the rut is on and you have a chance at looking over a lot of bucks.

rwj suggested that you get a Transporter to run you out to a place to hunt and fish. That is not a bad idea but if you and 2 other buddies come you can go on a fully guided trip 3x1 with one of the best guides on Kodiak for the same money.

A Transporter cannot legally assist you with any aspect of the hunt. He can't even help you take care of the deer after you get it to the boat. The Transporter supplies food, lodging and transportation only. The guide tells you what is a trophy and will help you with everything except the actual shooting. This particular hunt includes some great duck shooting as well. I don't know about the fishing but I can find out if you are interested.

Transporter=$2400.00 Fully guided=$2400.00 Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Contact me if you need further info.

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 12869 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote